Author Topic: Anyone else buy Flight SimulatorX?  (Read 614 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Anyone else buy Flight SimulatorX?
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »
So I handed over $67 for Bill's new program. OK so I don't have the fastest system in the world [AMD64 3000+ 793 mhz + 768 meg RAM] but even on bare minimum settings, my experience so far has been "hurry up and wait". The install alone was almost 30 minutes.

Lots of bells, whistles, missions and new AC.

If anyone has found a way to speed this manatee up, please let me know.

Anyone else have it yet?

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »
got my deluxe verson for $52 and i am not impressed at all. i have a decked out FS9 that i would rather use.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 04:57:16 PM »
I have an Alienware amd 3800+ dual core with 2 mb corsair and a geforce 7800 with 512 mb. This program can bring my system to an absolute crawl! I spent a couple of hours looking up tweaks and tips and finally found some stuff that really helped. Specifically, the dynamic scenery is a culprit on my system and likely yours as well. Apply the tweak to dynamic scenery in the guide below and you'll get great results.

Check out: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=177&topic_id=1201&mesg_id=1201&page=

I'm glad I stuck with it, because the differences are really amazing and I don't just mean eye candy. This is the first desktop sim that gave me a real sensation of flying. Hard to explain, but you'll see for yourself.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »
I'll wait till Microsoft smarts up and makes it available for the 360:D

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:03:13 PM »
i tried the demo and couldnt get the plane to fly strqaight and level,it looks preety but you cant even crash properly .
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:18:28 PM »
Tried the demo.  It is a resource hog.  Very pretty though.  Nice sound too. I'll eventually get it when the price comes down a bit.  Interesting side note, I tried to load the Beaver into FS9, no-can-do.  I don't know if they made the demo so you couldn't do what I tried, or if there's something different about the new flight models...

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:23:45 PM »
The aircraft are structured differently. This has PO'd the community because alot of their custom additions that they paid $$$ for will no longer work without a patch or some tweaking.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »
Originally posted by sluggish
Tried the demo.  It is a resource hog.  Very pretty though.  Nice sound too. I'll eventually get it when the price comes down a bit.  Interesting side note, I tried to load the Beaver into FS9, no-can-do.  I don't know if they made the demo so you couldn't do what I tried, or if there's something different about the new flight models...

simviation has tons and tons of add-ons for fs98 to fsx. best of all, its free.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Here is a link to a .pdf ( Click Here) with some of the early user-created tweaks. I found the fsx.cfg and autogen tweaks worked well. I have a somewhat similar system spec to yours and it's flyable now.

Amazingly, FSX does not support hyper-threading so performance enhancement from dual CPUs is limited.

Even though it's flyable now, it still doesn't compare to Aces High in what I'd have to say is "overall feel" of flight. Of course, we all wish that a civilian version of AH, even with horizontally compressed 512x512 mile terrains, would magically appear to blow away MSFS, but...

Ah well, it's a nice pipe dream.

I have some bizarre controller spasms in FSX using CH gear that I don't have in any other game. It's like the plane is possessed with evil twitching.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:34:56 PM by Rolex »

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 05:31:50 PM »
Originally posted by moneyguy
simviation has tons and tons of add-ons for fs98 to fsx. best of all, its free.

Holy Cow!  I didn't know it existed!  Thanx!

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »
i only have the Demo tested so far, i had to decrease all the grafix sliders to left,
but then it runs like hell on my puter! Grafix dont look nice anymore though.

;)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »
Originally posted by VOR
I have an Alienware amd 3800+ dual core with 2 mb corsair and a geforce 7800 with 512 mb. This program can bring my system to an absolute crawl! I spent a couple of hours looking up tweaks and tips and finally found some stuff that really helped. Specifically, the dynamic scenery is a culprit on my system and likely yours as well. Apply the tweak to dynamic scenery in the guide below and you'll get great results.

Check out: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=177&topic_id=1201&mesg_id=1201&page=

I'm glad I stuck with it, because the differences are really amazing and I don't just mean eye candy. This is the first desktop sim that gave me a real sensation of flying. Hard to explain, but you'll see for yourself.

VOR thanks for the avsim link. You knows, maybe Microsoft will include something like that in the next FSX guide they've published for a mere $20 extra. Putzes!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
I have it and have a few problems with it.

First, load times are extremely long.  This sucker needs some optimization badly.
Second, it's a bit buggy.  It doesn't appear to do enough vid card capability checking and bumping up resolution, filtering, and checking anti-aliasing resulted in a total system crash and reboot.  Lower graphics settings work so it's possible it just asked the vid card to do something it couldn't possibly handle.
Third, in the demo, instant flight starts you on the ground but in FSX deluxe, instant flight starts you in the air.  I played with the game and settings for 3 hours and never could find a way to set it to ground launch.  This is a hideous oversight IMHO.

Overall I think it's going to be the best customizable civvy flightsim for the next few years, but it's really slow and buggy right now.  It looks pretty good even with low graphics settings, but it has enough higher settings available that it will look better and better for the next couple of years as computer hardware improves.

I'd give it a "buy during holiday or post-holiday sales" recommendation...  It's nice and definately next gen, but I think it was released before it was ready to make sure it was out for the holidays.  I'm hoping for a few patches soon.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 10:12:44 PM »
I got it, threw a tantrum as I went through the boards trying to get it workable. Godbless the guy who compiled that PDF because it took me 6 hours to go through all of those threads when they were scattered about.

Now...as for performance - if you are running less then a 2 Ghz machine with less then 2 GIG RAM and a 512 MEG card, don't bother.

That also applies if you don't have a defrag program like O&O Defrag keeping yr drives clean in the background all the time and keep your XP install clean without any crap on C:

Now, like I said - it took me about 6 hours to get through all of those threads before that PDF was even compiled. I've got a AMD X2 4400, 2 GIG ram and 2x 7900 GTX's running SLI. It was very much playable - but don't be under any illusions, this was meant to be run with decent settings on a current day monster with the intent of better hardware taking advantage of it down the road.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:27:02 AM »
I tried it at unnamed person's house who beta tested.....and I'm staying far away from this POS. Maybe I'll buy it once 24Gigs of ram and 2Tflaps are standard home system