Author Topic: The art of the HO  (Read 1352 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
I never ever ever receive a ho.. I never look for a ho our get lured in and get ho'ed. Its a last ditch tactic and should only be used if your fighting a hot head so you can listen to it for 30mins on 200. If i see someone ho i know that in 1 min they will die. Not that many vets use the HO so its like a calling card for newbs.

Offline plink

• Zinc Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 12:55:42 PM »
If you are getting hit when going under...
you are probably starting your moves too early.

Assuming you both are going relatively fast...
the going under manuever increases your speed. Assuming he tries to keep you on his nose. This will increase his airspeed reducing his plane's ability to quickly change attitude (dive/climb). It also increases the G's required to make a change (redout), and reduces the time available to react.

Waiting until you are in his gun range (1000 or less), allows him less time to react.
Push forward on stick, gently at first.
Quickly see if he starts to follow, push harder if he does.  
Try to keep close to him, without allowing him a shot, this reduces his ability to achieve a turn/dive on you.

As soon as you pass out of his gun range, go level or slightly climb.

WATCH HIM THE WHOLE TIME and react accordingly.

Variations by adding rudder or slight banks to this theme also work well when going under.

Plink
:aok

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
The art of the HO
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 01:02:42 PM »
Takes two to HO, nuff said.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
The art of the HO
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:49 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
Takes two to HO, nuff said.

Takes two to ho.

Takes 1 to fire.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
The art of the HO
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 01:10:30 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
Takes two to ho.

Takes 1 to fire.

Takes one to die :)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
Most HOs are actually attempted Rams.  Unfortunately AH has a nasty habbit of killing one Rammer and letting the other off scott free (go figure).  

What this does is motivate the guy with the lesser skill to go ahead and just attempt to ram his opponent giving himself at least a 50/50 chance of winning a contest that he would likely lose without the ram.  Firing guns is just a hail mary to most of the people who use head ons as their primary ACM.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:35:18 PM »
two interesting points here:

first, to scottydawg, yes I have noticed that too. there's always a moment of tension when you are at about 400 yards and neither has fired yet- it's a mix of excitement at potentially encountering someone who is more interested in ACM than HO, and fear that, if he starts to shoot now, you're pretty much cooked.

side note- has anyone noticed that when someone tries to HO and they miss, the sound of their firing continues long after they have passed behind your plane? this happens a lot to me. either some people have terrible gunnery techniques, or HT has modeled the speed of sound into the game. i dont think the latter is true because
a) explosions in the distance are heard instantly
b) it is very rare to get a plane in this game above mach, especially in a HO situation, meaning that the sound of firing would arrive before, not after the plane.

second, to yeager, that's an interesting way of looking at it. since most people who try to HO me start firing at 1k, i would say that their priority is not to ram, but to ram only if a guns approach doesnt work. if anyone is out there flying with the pure intent to ram they are wasting their money or two week's time.

while we're talking about HO's, heres my method of avoiding, co-alt:
-at 3k put your nose approximately 20 degrees to the left or right of their approach path
-at 1k, with bogey maybe even guns blazing already, roll wings and come cross over his nose to about 20 degrees off in the other direction.
(he got his shooting formula based on your 20 degree departure from his flight path, it is extremely difficult for him to adjust his lead after already shooting or just about to shoot.)
- before going wings level, you now have a choice- you have already started a lead turn, if you so choose to go that route. or, you still have enough E to grab, since your turn was only 40 degrees total.

90% of the time, it works...every time.

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I'll HO a 110, Jug, etc in a Spit1 if I have to.   I don't choose to, but sometimes you have no choice.

Well, if thats all you are good at, it may seem like you don't have a choice :D

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
Well, if thats all you are good at, it may seem like you don't have a choice :D

:furious  Quit spamming.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 03:41:52 PM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp03
:furious  Quit spamming.

It's ok SkyChimp, he's a useless shades boy that keeps lurking on my posts.    He is skilless in the MA so, he has to make up for it in here.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
It's ok SkyChimp, he's a useless shades boy that keeps lurking on my posts.    He is skilless in the MA so, he has to make up for it in here.

Stop hurting my feelings please!!!!  I said 'IF'.  I appologise if I was wrong. If you do accept my appology, would you please teach me some MA skillzzzz?

Thank you!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 03:57:33 PM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
Stop hurting my feelings please!!!!  I said 'IF'.  I appologise if I was wrong. If you do accept my appology, would you please teach me some MA skillzzzz?

Thank you!

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
If i see someone ho i know that in 1 min they will die. Not that many vets use the HO so its like a calling card for newbs.

1 on 1 Ho's are relatively easy to avoid.  The Ho'er is 99% of the time a skilless arse and can be lead into making fatal moves trying to stay in the Ho.

Practise Ho avoidance and you see where the kill is ....trust me :aok

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:43 PM »
I HO constantly. The cries from the victim is priceless!!!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The art of the HO
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
I HO constantly. The cries from the victim is priceless!!!
:furious
We know Super we know...:D