Author Topic: martial arts  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 12:05:50 PM »
Never knew there were so many of you that did some form of martial arts. Doesnt look like Nanbudo has been exported over the pond yet tho.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »
I'm doing Judo for one year already.....Judo Chap! KKah!

storch

martial arts
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
My aikido sensei would take issue with you saying that it's a purely defencive martial art.  ;)

Aikidoka are totally allowed to kick someone's ass, but we try not to hurt them anymore than necessary.  The letting the other person strike first is a matter of tactics not necessarily ethics.  However, the brand of aikido we practice is based on O- Sensei Ueshiba's earlier style.
I didn't say that aikido is purely defensive, what I said was that for purerly defensive purposes aikido and jiu jitsu are very good disciplines.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 02:15:24 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I didn't say that aikido is purely defensive, what I said was that for purerly defensive purposes aikido and jiu jitsu are very good disciplines.

My apologies,...might as well through Tai Chi in there as well.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
My aikido sensei would take issue with you saying that it's a purely defencive martial art.  ;)  

I do believe the true spirit of all martial arts is defensive
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 02:29:43 PM »
Here's a fight between a black belt karate instructor and a brasilian ju-jitsu practitioner: Where'd he go?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
I do believe the true spirit of all martial arts is defensive

Goodness no.  At least amongst the Japanese martial arts, aikido is the exception.  The purpose of martial arts is to become a more perfect weapon for your liege lord.  The only thing you might defend with it is your honour.  And if that means aggressively killing a whole bunch of people, so be it.

storch

martial arts
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Here's a fight between a black belt karate instructor and a brasilian ju-jitsu practitioner: Where'd he go?
very big difference in the fighting techniques betwen those two disciplines.  furthermore if the shotokan practioner is American and accustomed to point fighting in tournaments he has no business stepping onto the tatami with a brazilian gutter fighter.  I wouldn't unless my life depended on it and then it would be no holds barred.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »
very big difference in the fighting techniques betwen those two disciplines.  furthermore if the shotokan practioner is American and accustomed to point fighting in tournaments he has no business stepping onto the tatami with a brazilian gutter fighter.  I wouldn't unless my life depended on it and then it would be no holds barred.

Almost this kind of fights can be seen at UFC too against other disciplines. The BJJ fighters take the fight extremely agressively to the ground and then apply submission holds. Most of the time the opponent doesn't even have a chance of punching back properly before they're forced to tap out. :rolleyes:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Doesnt look like Nanbudo has been exported over the pond yet tho.

isn't that the one that uses an ancient boat ramming technique?

:D

(sorry.  could'nt help it)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

storch

martial arts
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »
sorry I don't watch UFC for the same reasons I don't watch any sporting events, they don't interest me.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:32 PM »
Say what you want about weather or not its for defense or offense, but personally I'll never use it on another person unless I'm in a position that I have no other choice. Unless its rape, then somebody's gonna die.

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
martial arts
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »
In my younger days I studied Shorinji Kempo. It is based on defence. As I recall though part of the philosophy behind it is not to profit from the art, so it's usually not taught in "schools". It is usually taught in some non-profit organisation like a club though there are some dedicated dojos around.

63tb

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 07:45:32 PM »
There really is no purely offensive or devensive martial arts out there. What it boils down to is the mindset you have going into it. Take Muay Thai for example. The fighting style is very aggresive, and it can inflict massive damage in a very short period of time if applied correctly. Knowing what I know about it I can say with little doubt, that in a street fight I would probably be able to wipe the floor with someone in short order. Knowing that, I DO NOT go out looking for trouble. If I did I would be using my training offensively and that goes against what I have been taught. Mearly being prepared and knowing that I can handle most any situation that might come my way is devensive in nature and that is why I train.

The mindset of the student and teacher is more important than the type of martial art that is practiced. I am a firm beliver in some form of mixed martial arts though. The more knowledge you have the more prepared you will be when a situation dictates that it is time to use what you have learned. You never know when some drunk a hole at a bar or some punk kid will take you for an easy mark and start some crap. Eliminate the initial threat quicly and decisively and any buddies they have will quickly think twice before they take a beat down.

Just my two cents.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »
sorry I don't watch UFC for the same reasons I don't watch any sporting events, they don't interest me.

nothing beats a great UFC matchup (j 100 crappy ones for every good one) .. like to watch boxing and wrestling (hs, college & olympic)..
have a brown belt in judo and wrestled for four years 8th thru 12th grade. Found judo was wrestling with heavy gis on 90% of the time with throws, chokes and arm bars thrown in for fun :)

Thrawn I say it is defensive as if you use it to start something, you haven't learned it
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals