Author Topic: martial arts  (Read 2261 times)

storch

martial arts
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
ya eagler, the best fight is the one you can avoid.

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
martial arts
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 10:40:09 PM »
Go with the box,all that asian crap doesnt work on street.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 10:50:10 PM »
lol

And let me guess, you know this because you are an expert in every Asian martial art and have tried them all in street fights.

:rolleyes:

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 02:48:07 AM »
Sprinting is a defensive technique :D
And if you're caught, It's probably judo who will serve you. I've seen Judo guys completely lock Karate guys.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 04:06:11 AM »
Sadly none of the martial arts are any good if you are caught off-guard and someone gets the first good punch in on your face. Few real fights last beyond the first fist... martial art(ist) or not.

One good punch and you are out.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 04:23:59 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Sadly none of the martial arts are any good if you are caught off-guard and someone gets the first good punch in on your face. Few real fights last beyond the first fist... martial art(ist) or not.

One good punch and you are out.

Hah, tell that to Chuck Norris. You only get the first punch if Chuck allows it to happen. Then when you throw the next punch and Chuck stops your fist in his hold, he knocks you out with the look in his eyes :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
martial arts
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 06:54:36 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
lol

And let me guess, you know this because you are an expert in every Asian martial art and have tried them all in street fights.

:rolleyes:

I didnt try them on street dummy.I saw people who did tho.
It's funny to watch a black belt getting his ars kicked within 10 seconds by an amateur boxer.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
martial arts
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2006, 07:25:15 AM »
Bad execution by one guy doesn't imply the method is ineffective in itself.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 07:27:48 AM »
Originally posted by KgB
I didnt try them on street dummy.I saw people who did tho.
It's funny to watch a black belt getting his ars kicked within 10 seconds by an amateur boxer.

And if the black belt got a good punch in first the roles would have been reversed. A white belt can knock a black belt if he is lucky.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 07:35:08 AM »
I once knocked the front teeth out of a blackbelter, - and I'm no boxer.
I could also lock him.
Luckily for me, He never managed to kick me in the head ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
I saw some dude try out some marital arts on the street once, but the other guy just told him to put his pants back on and go home.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »
Originally posted by cav58d
What would you rather be??????

An assassin ninja?  Or a defending samurai?

theres a third option.

Buy a gun and shoot em both ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »
we used to allways think that boxers had nothing to fear from any of the martial artists...  Hell.. at least we knew what it felt like to get hit.

Now I see this "ultimate" fighting stuff and it is just a bunch of guys learning to box well and... some good old fashioned barroom wrestling if you have to.

I allways figured that the martial arts thing was good to give the kid some exercise and to keep him busy at night.   Nothing wrong with that... nothing wrong with getting a little confidense.

I would not recomend boxing to kids as it is too dangerous for todays utes.

lazs

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re: martial arts
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »
Originally posted by JB88
i am also wondering if any of you have any specific knowledge of martial arts that you might wish to share or suggestions about which might go well with my philosophy.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is good stuff depending on your size. Alot of it is designed specifically to negate the striking advantages of a bigger opponent (reach & power). It's all about blood chokes & joint locks.

His son also practices ju-jitsu and he spoke of it for a while. It sounded very defensive. He remarked that his son's favorite position was to fight while on his back on the ground.

You can score alot of points in BJJ tournaments while on your back. For example, if you've got a guy in your closed guard, which is him on top, with your legs locked around his waist you have quite a few options, but his are more limited. You can slide your knees up to his armpits and setup a triangle choke (a "blood" choke), get control of a wrist, snap your legs over and lock in an armbar, reverse your position, etc, etc.

What you see alot of in BJJ guys vs guys not very well trained is when the fight goes to the ground, the other guy tends to panic. He'll either get mounted and pounded out, panic & turn his back (and get choked out), or panic & stick an arm out (instant armbar ending).

It is a really good martial art. The classes I've attended have been pretty good. 30 minutes of exercise & drills, 30 minutes of non-stop "rolling" (sparring). The intense guys are the ones that do the 1 1/2 hour no-gi classes before the 1 hr gi classes. That's alot of fighting & scrambling. :huh

ps: To the guys that lost weight. I must be a freak of nature. I actually gained 10 pounds when I was training. :t

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
martial arts
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 10:03:56 AM »
Take any 'asian' martial arts class, and you'll see, when it's time to practice mock fights, 99% of the students ditch all the discipline they were taught and fight like monkeys.
99% of them don't even have, or took the time to develop, the reflexes to use the proper moves for each situation, correctly.

It's not the discipline, it's the user that's just not using it right.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you