Author Topic: martial arts  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
martial arts
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 10:15:57 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
My aikido sensei would take issue with you saying that it's a purely defencive martial art.  ;)

Aikidoka are totally allowed to kick someone's ass, but we try not to hurt them anymore than necessary.  The letting the other person strike first is a matter of tactics not necessarily ethics.  However, the brand of aikido we practice is based on O- Sensei Ueshiba's earlier style.

:lol

Having started Aikido  few months back myself, this is the best description ive heard of yet.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
martial arts
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »
JB88, I'd suggest finding out if you can take a good hit or two before deciding on what art to go for,  Anything that develops your ability to keep going after been hit a few times is the one to go for, all these fancy moves and stuff won't do anything for you when you are close up to someone, Whoever mentioned the mixed martial arts is probably correct, You'll find out about yourself very quickly after taking a few hits, then you know how to proceed from there.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »
My youngest daughter takes TaeKwonDo. She recently tested and received her Senior Green. She has done well and excelled at it. I go to watch them on occassion, full contact sparring, was amazed at what she can do now. She has been breaking boards for over 6 months, improving her hitting force.
I recommend it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Re: Re: martial arts
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
ps: To the guys that lost weight. I must be a freak of nature. I actually gained 10 pounds when I was training. :t

Well the 25 or so I've lost was beer belly weight and body fat. I know for a fact my muscle mass has increased so I'm actually starting to get some weight back, except this time it's lean muscle. It's taken a year of hard work but I'm starting to see the real results of my training. Feels pretty good. Of course going through a divorce and having to get back into the dating scene again was good motivation. Have to look good to get the hotties:aok
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
martial arts
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
I think I'd kill to see a fight between storch and nuke.  

It would either be a showdown of the gods, or two fat guys shrieking at eachother with maybe a slap or two thrown in for good measure.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: martial arts
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 01:17:41 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Well the 25 or so I've lost was beer belly weight and body fat. I know for a fact my muscle mass has increased so I'm actually starting to get some weight back, except this time it's lean muscle. It's taken a year of hard work but I'm starting to see the real results of my training. Feels pretty good. Of course going through a divorce and having to get back into the dating scene again was good motivation. Have to look good to get the hotties:aok

Heh it's a fact that a wife is the key to getting sloppy and gaining weight.

<-- gained 20+ kg since getting married. :eek:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

storch

martial arts
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »
that is very true mersu but I guess you haven't been married long with only 20kg gained :D

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »
Hey there:
"Heh it's a fact that a wife is the key to getting sloppy and gaining weight.

<-- gained 20+ kg since getting married. "

Is your wife not alive?
And not mentioning children, which make good sprint excersice.
My wife is some (cough) 9 years younger, - we got married some 3 years ago, and I didn't gain a pound, - just 2 children ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Sadly none of the martial arts are any good if you are caught off-guard and someone gets the first good punch in on your face. Few real fights last beyond the first fist... martial art(ist) or not.

One good punch and you are out.

Sadly most criminals use guns anyway. It doesn't matter who you are, unless your name I Bruce Lee, and your in a movie, your probably gonna get shot.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2006, 01:08:22 AM »
"thankfully" its not quite the same here dmf. Those that use guns are mostly those that set out to murder someone or rob a bank. Gang members also use guns but almost exclusivly against other gangs and not the public. The average nut on the street has knifes if he is armed. Bruglars are almost never armed with anything but a crowbar.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2006, 01:10:10 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
Hey there:
"Heh it's a fact that a wife is the key to getting sloppy and gaining weight.

<-- gained 20+ kg since getting married. "

Is your wife not alive?
And not mentioning children, which make good sprint excersice.
My wife is some (cough) 9 years younger, - we got married some 3 years ago, and I didn't gain a pound, - just 2 children ;)

She's alive. Cooking good food and taking care of the household. I don't have to chase ***** anymore so I stoped keeping in shape. Simple as that. :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006, 02:50:48 AM »
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2006, 03:15:09 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi

Having started Aikido  few months back myself, this is the best description ive heard of yet.

They let girls do martial arts???  :rolleyes:

+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Hat

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.708th.com
martial arts
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2006, 05:16:09 AM »
First of all, I agree with whoever said that if you wanna be good at defending yourself you should practice running, maybe 110m hurdles or the like. Best defense ever.
If that isnt your cup o' tea and you decide you wanna practice some martial arts the first you need to do is forget all about BJJ/JJ, karate and judo since they are SPORTS.
Defence is mostly (IMHO) about a strong mind and a fast mouth. With that you can come a long way without breaking someones elbow. Should u however decide to break someones elbow for whatever reason, I would reccomend practising Aikido or Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (BBT), both Martial Arts and not SPORTS. Have a look, I think you'll like 'em.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2006, 05:25:56 AM »
Hehe, was serious about the running.
There are three good other things that may help you defend yourself.
1. Sense of realism. Do you have many opponents? Is your opponent drunk or nuts etc etc (I did a mistake there once, I got out, but with 5 cuts on my head. There was not just that one little ****, they were 3)
2. Blocking. Most guys throw you a right swing. Heck, I've blocked many :D
3. Physical fitness. In many cases more valuable than some trics. It's also one of the cornerstones of many a martial arts, notably Judo.