Author Topic: Game won't open  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« on: May 09, 2000, 09:56:00 PM »
Hi there,

I put n a new sound card and got it all set up. I then played AH for a bit with no problem. Today I can't get in. I get an error message saying it can't locate the joystick. Specifically it says error -4 innitilaization joystick failed. I have checked and calibrated the joystick in winblows. It is there and functions fine. I still can't get into AH. The error locks up and won't let me even get to a setup page. What happened???

I am using a cyborg joystick with tmaster pedals. Same as I used in the past. The souond card has no indications of problems. Works fine in other games and no errors. I have also set up directx7.0a. Any ideas???

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 05-11-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2000, 10:51:00 PM »
I do hope someone can get back to me on this. I am paying for time I can't play. I'd much rather be paying for playing time....
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Game won't open
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2000, 04:53:00 AM »
Maybe U need to delete the Joystick file in AH ? (Dunno the name of it, someone else will have to post it...)

Did U try a fresh install in ANOTHER directory ? (as not to use some old files )
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Game won't open
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
It sounds like AH is not seeing your joystick.  Is your joystick hooked through your sound card?  Have you configured it in windows after you swapped out the sound card.  

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Game won't open
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2000, 12:42:00 PM »
I'd try making sure your joysticks are listed exactly as they were before you changed the sound card under game controllers.  Then I'd try deleteing the joystick cfg file and restarting AH.  You will have to remap your joystick, but that's no big deal.

If that doesn't work, uninstall AH, also delete the settings folder.  Then reinstall.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Game won't open
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »
You might also check to see if somehow your joystick connector came loose when you tried to play AH.  (Trust me, it can happen.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Game won't open
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2000, 05:32:00 PM »
Hiya Squaddie,  

Try deleting any gamecards under control panel/system devices. Delete the file "video.cfg" from your "/program_files/htc/aces_high/settings" folder, and reboot. Windows should find the gamecrad (again), so recal in windows, and finally in Aces High. Good luck.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Game won't open
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »
Also make sure the controler is on id one after you put in the new sound card.

Also if you sound card had older drivers sets
you might need to reinstall dx7.0a

HiTech

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2000, 05:46:00 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas. I tried a couple and here is what happened. Nutin happened. I even uninstalled the program and re downloaded it and I get the same error.

Here is the exact phrase listed.

I recieve a blue and grey error box which says'
"Innitialization failed with -4 Joystick Failed."

I do not get to a setup box at all.

Here is what I tried.

I wiped out the video config and rebooted.

I rechecked the joystic settings and they are back to the ones I had with the old sound card, stick rudder pedal setup.

I recalibrated the stick in windows several times.

I uninstalled then re installed from a fresh download the entire program.

The ONLY change is the freaking sound card. I am using the sound card game port. It is a 32 bit AVANCE card with the latest drivers and full sound blaster emulation / 3d sound and everything works but AH with it.

I am stuck, whut do I do now????  

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 05-12-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Pode

Game won't open
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
I used to have the exact same problem, (using Saitek Cyborg 3D connected to a Soundblaster LIVE Value soundcard). The only way I found to get around this was to hit Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Refresh, on every boot up. Not sure what caused the problem but this seemed to do the trick.
Hope this helps      

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2000, 10:33:00 PM »
Tried the refresh bit, no joy.....  
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Game won't open
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
Mav, did you check to see if the controller was on ID 1?  Meaning that in the joystick control panel, it's listed in the first slot?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2000, 01:56:00 PM »
Pyro,

The joystick is the ONLY one listed. There is no second position. I only install one. I did check moving the joystick to another port. AH will open then but no joystick is present. The joystick is also inop in windows in that situation as well.

I have since uninstalled AH. I cleaned out the files and defragged the hd. I then d-loaded it again into another hd and still have the exact same error. At this time I am dead in the water. I can do nothing more to check out the problem as I cannot get into AH at all past the video.cfg routine. All other programs find and use the joystick. Only AH has this problem.

I am out of ideas.

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 05-13-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Game won't open
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2000, 11:10:00 PM »
Mav,

The only other thing I would recommend is yanking the card out, then removing the device from control panel, rebooting, shutting down and reinstalling the card, then starting off with a fresh reboot.

I once made the mistake of plugging in a speaker after the system was on. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would fix the problem except this procedure. I had to remove the card entirely and start over (in other words).

I help it goes now.  

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Game won't open
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2000, 12:04:00 AM »
Hi there,

I tried replacing the card with the old card. Same problem. I then put the new card back in. No change. I have tried using a different joystick, no rudder pedals, with pedals and without a stick at all. With NO stick in the game boots up, but of course I can't play it like that. It seems that as long as I have a joystick active AH will not boot. I have changed everything I can other than the motherboard. All interupts are good but no stick in AH.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown