Author Topic: Race to the reset.  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Race to the reset.
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:37:25 AM »
Has this become the total focus of the AH world?  The reason I'm asking.  The last few times i've flown, regardless of arena, that's all I see now.

Each time I log on in the evening, when I go into an arena, there are overwhelming numbers on one team and at least one other team so low in numbers, it's inevitable that the reset is coming.

It's kind of become the joke for me and the guys in the 80th.  We hop to the low number side for another hopeless, against all odds defense.  The problem is, no matter how hard you put up a fight, you don't have the bodies to spread out enough to stop the steam roll.

Last night I started in Midwar and a squadie and I were up in the 38s with DTs looking for the fight.  In literally a 30 second time frame, 6 base capture messages scrolled across the bottom of the screen.  The only kills landed were tank drivers.  Those of us in the air couldn't get to the fight as they'd be gone by the time you got to where the dar bar was when you took off.  I don't ever burn off all my DT fuel and we did last night and we never encountered another plane in the air.

So we hop to Latewar Orange.  It's 30 Rooks, 90 Bish, 90 Knights.  Ahh the hopless defense.  Good fun while it lasted, but there was no way to defend enough places to stop the reset.  Boom.  Reset.

So we come back in and it starts again.  6-7 of us defend 49 from the crowd.  Again the fight was fun while it lasted and in the end, at least by the time I logged off, we still held it.  But it was the only green base in the area by that time as every other undefended base had been taken around us.  Had we each spread out and tried to defend all of the bases we'd have lost 49 so it was a no win situation.

Granted it was funny to see them finally stop coming to 49 knowing they weren't going to get it, but clearly the emphasis is not on fighting other players but taking bases as fast as possible against as little opposition as possible.

So do we accept that this is now just the nature of AH, or is there a way to put the players back together in combat and change the emphasis off winning the reset as fast as possible.

Yeah I know it's an old question, but it seems to be getting worse lately and I see very few folks having any desire to change it.

You do begin to recognize the 'few' who jump to the low numbers to try and help fight off the inevitable, but sadly it's just a 'few' as clearly it's much more desirable apparently to belong to the 'winning' side.

If that's what the AH world wants, then so be it.  In the end I won't lose any sleep over it, but I can't believe we come to an online world with the opportunity to fly against 'real live' opponents only to instead avoid them in the quest to get reset perks.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »
As I said in another thread, it appears that some people want something team related in game.  The only thing there presently, is base capture.  Combine that with those who think that's the way to go and you have the "Rush to Reset" that we are indeed seeing.

The new arena setup has exasperated the horde problem as well.  I have seen more "arena" hordes since the split of arena's than before.  But it's a function of people and their preferences of aircraft.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Race to the reset.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:03:17 AM »
I blame Pac-Man.... the video game that started it all.....

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Race to the reset.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:03:19 AM »
perhaps if they weren't rewarded with perks when the map resets. of course the whines would be crazy.

sometimes i feel sorry for HT, it's tough to get the balance right

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
I have to wonder if things would be more interesting if "perk points" just went the way of the Do Do Bird, and a different system was installed.

Fight for a reset, fine, but no perk points. Just have a system where each player has a set # of ENY 5 a/c per Tour and thats that. Say 50. Any 50 you want, once they are used up, thats it. Same for GVs. Everybody starts each Tour on a level playing field, if you want to roll LA-7s and F4U-1Cs, fine, but after you "blow them", thats it.

50 is just an arbitary #, maybe more, Im just giving an example....maybe 100...

It would make everybody appreciate the better rides, everybody has the same # per Tour to spend, and resets are still fought for and won, but for the sake of winning, not for some "monetary reward". Those that want to get a high "rank" can still do that if thats what is fun for them, that doesnt change.

Just a thought. Whatever . ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:07:06 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Race to the reset.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »
Thats right, you do get perks for "winning" a reset don't you?

Been on the losing side so long I forgot about that... :D

I know I personally have a lot more fun defending than I do attacking (though I HATE getting vulched...), but even I grabbed an LVT and captured a base last night. I feel dirty, and that "Order of the Serpentine" crap don't wash off that kinda funk. I'm thinking of going to confession...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Race to the reset.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 11:08:22 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Has this become the total focus of the AH world?  The reason I'm asking.  The last few times i've flown, regardless of arena, that's all I see now.

In a word....YES.

It is especially prevalent in the low number arenas.

Had a guy last night drove an M3 to a GV field. He must have driven for over an hour (no spawn). He then started demanding that someone come kill the ack for him. The nearest uncapped field was 75+ miles away. After 10 or 15 minutes of whining, he switched countries to do the same to his previous country. I then killed his C47 6 times in the next 20 minutes as he tried to capture another GV field (he did finally get it).

The upshot was that his squadmates logged in and wanted to know why he changed countries. In listening to them talk, I discovered that they were bragging about having taught this guy everything he knows. Like shooting ack and driving M3's to undefended fields required training?????

I was stunned by this attitude. When I ask folks like this about why they do this, their response is always "because winning the war is what the game is about". When I point out that the game is supposed to be about combat, they tell me that I must be new. :lol

I did recently talk to HT about this problem. I do know that he is not satisfied with the turn the game has taken and is looking for possible solutions to bring combat back to the forefront. Hopefully, he will be successful. This game is too good to just be turned into another "capture the flag" game.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
Defending 49 was fun... notice it is very unusual for anyone to capture a base the 80th defends. They attack in a hord and keep coming back for a short time and then go off to an undefended base, I find that just toooo funny. It's getting to the point that if they see 38s on the deck they just stay high and bomb :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
I blame Pac-Man.... the video game that started it all.....

Actually, I think Space Invaders was developed before Pac-man.  But the original video game that started it all was PONG.  :D
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Race to the reset.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:18:52 AM »
Lot's of manned 88s at the feilds and more manned quad 37s or 40mms!

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Race to the reset.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »

:D

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »

Throw in multiple and hidden VHs at airbases too.  Seperate fighter strips nearby....:)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Race to the reset.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 11:28:44 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

Each time I log on in the evening, when I go into an arena, there are overwhelming numbers on one team and at least one other team so low in numbers, it's inevitable that the reset is coming.

You do begin to recognize the 'few' who jump to the low numbers to try and help fight off the inevitable, but sadly it's just a 'few' as clearly it's much more desirable apparently to belong to the 'winning' side.

If that's what the AH world wants, then so be it.  In the end I won't lose any sleep over it, but I can't believe we come to an online world with the opportunity to fly against 'real live' opponents only to instead avoid them in the quest to get reset perks.

Shhhhh Guppy, I've pointed this out for over three weeks now.   Let the "good sticks" get their free perks.   They NEED them more than I do.   I recall being called a "whiner" over 200 pointing out the "precedent" being set back then.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Race to the reset.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »
Originally posted by NCLawman
Actually, I think Space Invaders was developed before Pac-man.  But the original video game that started it all was PONG.  :D

but Pac-man was about gobbling up all you can gobble....
lol!

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 11:54:39 AM »
C'mon people it's fun!
Let's reset those bishes to stone age!
Woo Woo:rolleyes: