Author Topic: Here comes the draft  (Read 1679 times)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Here comes the draft
« on: November 19, 2006, 03:47:45 PM »
Think the democrats can push this through? I'm thinking it'll bite 'em in the butt, hard, come '08.

Draft

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:57:03 PM »
OH HELL NO!

I never thaught about how bad the draft would be until just now when it occured to me that I'd be training basic training draftees.

AAAHHHHHHGGGGG!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 04:04:50 PM »
If they do. thjey can say goodbye to 08

Its political suicide
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
The Draft as such will never happen.  Political suicide like actually trying to fix Social Security in a way that works.

Possibly some form of FEDERAL SERVICE, which I think would be a good thing.  Military for 1 year and then a slot in the Reserves or National Guard for a couple more would be one option.  Or two years active duty.  Or fight forrest fires, teach or work with inner city kids, be on call to support clean up operations in the event of an oil spill or such.  There are many community and volunteer efforts that could come under this idea.  Some paid, some internships, some volunteer efforts..... Service could be performed all at once, or in increments in some cases.  Volunteer efforts would be shorter in length, paid efforts longer.  Some could be tied to student loans and grants... like becoming a teacher; fully paid scholarship for two years teaching  in a failing school district.

Some form of responsible service I'd see as a good thing for most of todays kids, especially between high school and college when most young folks really do not know what they want to do, or those that can't afford college to get something on their resume before they flip burgers.

Now, if it comes down to military numbers and expanding the military, there is an old idea that dove tails nicely into the current immigration mess.

Formation of an American Foreign Legion.  Have a core of American Officers and NCO cadre, themselves taught to speak Spanish, recruit from South and Central America.  Soldiers serve six years service, learn English, and are taught a useful military skill or given the option of off-duty training courses while serving.  At the end of their enlistment, automatically given U.S. citizenship and VA benefits (probably spouses and children as well).  Six years of assured work and income, medical care, education, and citizenship in return for risking military service.

And let's face it.... the American public as a whole will cry less if such Legionares are in harms way than American troops the same way you hear so much less about American contractors in harms way in Iraq now.  For American Officer's and NCO's, such deployments would more often than not be the fast track to promotion, so you would get takers from the existing ranks to lead these units.

The best America can hope to grow their military forces, if authorized by Congress, is 10,000 soliders a year in absolute numbers.  If Congress authorizes an additional 50,000 soldiers on the roster, it will take 5 years at least.  The COSTS of that expansion is in direct relation to active military operations and the strength of the economy.... if at war, or with a good economy, raising those additional 10,000 troops a years costs more in incentives.  After the initial expenditure, an American Foreign Legion would take less time and money to increase the overall size of the force.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:19:19 PM by tedrbr »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
""Possibly some form of FEDERAL SERVICE""

some day everyone will work for the govt.

""Formation of an American Foreign Legion. Have a core of American Officers and NCO cadre, themselves taught to speak Spanish,""

in the french legion everyone learns to speak french.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »
Possibly some form of FEDERAL SERVICE

Yeah, who cares what us young people WANT to do.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »
Yanno LS that just gave me a great idea on how to deal with the illegal immigration problem.

You can stay and become citizens after you have served a 4 year hitch in the armed services

Instead of rounding them up and shipping them back. Or shooting them at the boarder (my first choice)

Slap em in a uniform and ship them to a far away land to fight (literally) for their right to be here.

then they will have earned it
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
OH HELL NO!

I never thaught about how bad the draft would be until just now when it occured to me that I'd be training basic training draftees.

AAAHHHHHHGGGGG!

If they draft me don't worry I can spell my name, and usually get it right. My question is if I get drafted, what am I supposed to do with my daughter?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 05:17:39 PM »
You would probably have a difficult time even joining voluntarily if you have a young daughter dmf. Maybe not.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:18:44 PM »
No, they'll just sit and do nothing about this darned war that Klinton got us into with his shenanigans.  

KLINTON WILL BURN FOR HIS TRANSGRESSIONS@!!!!!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
No, they'll just sit and do nothing about this darned war that Klinton got us into with his shenanigans.  

KLINTON WILL BURN FOR HIS TRANSGRESSIONS@!!!!!

Well he didnt start any war, but he DID shave the Army by...3 divisions?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 05:22:47 PM »
What do you mean he didn't start the war?  He trained the friggin Al Quada operatives himself in between BJs.  

And I hear that Satan Klinton (oh I mean helaree) was actually FLYING one of the planes, but she jumped out and flew to the ground right as it HIT THE TOWAR!  

I SWAER!

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »
Sarcasm isn't your forte. You should stick with things you know (like financial management).

;)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »
Yea ok, that one was pretty bad :(.  

I've had some really good ones in the past tho.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
Nope, you haven't.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"