Author Topic: PC or Mac ?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2006, 02:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Now that they basically use the same hardware, is the only difference software?

i would say yes.
Print Companys used Mac's for the last 15 years, they know the
whole workflow, from scanning to editing to printing. Former only
Mac Software is availible more and more for the PC though.
At work we use Heidelberg Linocolor for scanning and editing CMYK
pictures who are scanned through one of our Linotype Hell scanners.
Since a few years Heidelberg offers a new Software called Newcolor 7000,
which is availible for the PC too. I think it would be possible to
work with a PC similar, but tranfering to Mac and vice versa is difficult.
We used Quark Xpress for DTP on the old Mac OS, today we slowly
change to Adobe Indesign, and you know this Soft is availible for the
PC too.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-
Well I dunno about the under the hood stuff -- seems to work OK for me on the internet though. The only network problems I've experienced on the internet are paranoia-related IP blocking by US sites, easily fixed by using public proxies. Perhaps you can shake off my paranoid sense of being baffled with BS by giving me a concrete example of an URL that Safari can't get to but other browsers can?

As to the M$ TCP standards - possibly so, but I do notice on my own humble little TCP/IP network (1 router + 1 switch, 2 macs 2 PCs, 1 printer) that it's always the PCs that get network problems and exhibit weirdness requiring restarts. The Macs just work.

And whilst I dunno much about TCP, I know when I do a web page, I code it so it works in all the other browsers and validates OK on the W3C first, then add all the hacks and javascript necessary to make it work the same for ie.

Any long URL where the header info splits over two packets can fail. We first noticed it when Apple started hosting on akamai servers for load balancing. Essentially what happens is L7 firewalls, proxies, or content filters wait until they receive the full URL request before they do anything. Because safari uses a 1 packet tcp window it waits for an acknolwedge before it completes the URL - you end up with a standoff and eventual timeout.

A typical tcp window size is 20 packets, so an application that uses 1 is a bit retarded. I spent two weeks geting abused by mac people about pages that wouldn't load. Then when it worked on firefox they still refused to use firefox as their browser. Luckily for me one of firewall vendors had identified such a problem before and we were able to tweak around it. However occasionally safari still pukes on some pages - so its problem something upstream that does like safari's 1 packet tcp window.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »
Originally posted by deSelys
-dead- has already given the explanation: the iBooks (previous generation) were as I described while the new MacBooks are easier to service. So we're both correct (or wrong).

But out of curiosity I'd like you to post here the expletives that the apple tech will use when you'll mention the iBooks ;)

Apple tech says 30 minutes, 2 hours if you're a total noob. But yeah 30 minutes is too long by 29 minutes.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »
Check this out Xrtoronto:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=192128&referrerid=3203

And, FWIW, you shouldn't use a laptop screen for photoeditting. Get a good monitor and use a Gretag Macbeth Pantone huey Display Calibrator  to calibrate the colors.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2006, 05:37:34 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Apple tech says 30 minutes, 2 hours if you're a total noob. But yeah 30 minutes is too long by 29 minutes.

Being called a total noob by an Apple tech is like being called Haxx0r by the dweeb that you've just shot down in the MA. You guys made my day :D :rofl
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 05:55:14 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Check this out Xrtoronto:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=192128&referrerid=3203

And, FWIW, you shouldn't use a laptop screen for photoeditting. Get a good monitor and use a Gretag Macbeth Pantone huey Display Calibrator  to calibrate the colors.

I'm about to Google it, but what does a Gretag Macbeth Pantone huey Display Calibrator cost, how does it work?

I submitted a cover for a journal (which got accepted) received a printed copy and the colors (blues and greens specifically) were totally not what I expected.

I tried checking my work on 3 different computers and printing a mockup in office, but the print version totally different :(

Just like to be sure that if it happens again, I can say my end not at fault...

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2006, 09:09:01 PM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
I'm about to Google it, but what does a Gretag Macbeth Pantone huey Display Calibrator cost, how does it work?

I submitted a cover for a journal (which got accepted) received a printed copy and the colors (blues and greens specifically) were totally not what I expected.

I tried checking my work on 3 different computers and printing a mockup in office, but the print version totally different :(

Just like to be sure that if it happens again, I can say my end not at fault...

Don't get the Huey. There have been many reports of it having an orange tinge.
If you're doing PC only, The Colorplus Pantone Colorvision is the least expensive option. If PC and/or Mac, the Monaco XR.  The Eye One setups range from basic monitor calibration to full blown scanner, monitor, and printer sets.

Another thing is check to make sure what color space they want your submission in. If you sent it in aSRGB or SRGB and they wanted CMYK, it's going to be way off.

Offline ByeBye

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-
Well I dunno about the under the hood stuff -- seems to work OK for me on the internet though. The only network problems I've experienced on the internet are paranoia-related IP blocking by US sites

Yeah, and the Chinese government would never be paranoid and try to block IPs or limit internet access! LOL!

:lol

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: PC or Mac ?
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
If I were in your shoes then i would go for a mac. You get alot of good software with your mac and you wont have to worry about viruses,  

*cough* http://kernelfun.blogspot.com/2006/11/mokb-20-11-2006-mac-os-x-apple-udif.html

Theres a few more exploits already in the wild. The funny thing is due to the lack of 3rd party security products for OS X all you can do is disconnect your Mac from the net.

Have a nice day nilsen :P (if you're still able to read the forums)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »
And then theres the question:

PC
p or sMac ?

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: PC or Mac ?
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2006, 10:32:07 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
*cough* http://kernelfun.blogspot.com/2006/11/mokb-20-11-2006-mac-os-x-apple-udif.html

Theres a few more exploits already in the wild. The funny thing is due to the lack of 3rd party security products for OS X all you can do is disconnect your Mac from the net.

Have a nice day nilsen :P (if you're still able to read the forums)

Just change a browser setting until the patch comes out. I knew you would fill this thread with this kind of stuff. You're obsessing again. :p

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2006, 03:30:18 AM »
Originally posted by ByeBye
Yeah, and the Chinese government would never be paranoid and try to block IPs or limit internet access! LOL!

:lol
Not that way round they don't, at least I've never been blocked to any Chinese stuff. And Hong Kong's not inside the Great firewall.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2006, 06:21:55 AM »
If you're seriously debating buying a pc or mac and you're not getting it for gaming use, then I'd say go ahead and get the mac.  You really don't have much to lose.  It'll cost a bit more than an equivalent PC but it should last quite a while.

I'd go for the extended applecare warranty though, 'cause they're expensive to buy and if anything goes wrong, just as expensive to fix.

I don't have a mac but I have recently considered getting a 20" imac.  No compelling reason to since my current computer still works fine and I have my laptop as a backup, but if I needed another computer for general use, I'd probably get an imac, add in a wireless keyboard and mouse, and stuff it full of aftermarket memory since macs love having more ram.

But that's just my opinion, and I haven't even bought one so what do I know.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2006, 10:20:09 AM »
I know happy users of PCs and happy users of Macs, but being a cheapskate who always goes for max return on money, I chose PC long ago and have never found any incentive to go for Mac.  

Apparently most computer users agree based on the relatively small number of Mac users compared to PC users.

Come to think of it, this debate is essentially Max vs. Mac.  

Remember the ancient interlude when the Atari ST was a better value than either Mac or PC?  All hail ancestral icons like Atari, Oldsmobile, and Douglas.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous