Author Topic: PC or Mac ?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:56:06 PM »
They have opened up a Mac superstore here and I have been in twice this past week. I am very tempted to buy a new Mac. (see link)

iMac 24"

With the upgrades I want it comes to $2619. plus tax.

Is there any caveat I should know about? Do you think it's smarter to stick with MS? What about software? How much s/w is available for Mac these days? I'm thinking of using my PC for online stuff and the Mac for multimedia stuff.

Any thoughts?

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »
For design, imaging, web-based interactive software and gaming I'd go with Mac.

if you're a desk jockey type who likes spreadsheets and word processing, stick with the PC.

Dealer's choice, but Mac provides greater utility and is less finiky. For example. the Mac hardware can read CDs burned by PC, but PC cannot read discs formatted by Mac.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
For design, imaging, web-based interactive software and gaming I'd go with Mac.

Gaming? On a Mac?

:rofl
sand

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:57:40 PM »
Mac is far superior to the MS systems.  As far as software goes, you may have a tougher time finding as big of a variety of games but home software, no problem.    Macs are a little more user friendly.  I was a Mac tech for 4 years.  Apple has it together, if you want to produce parts for a MAC, you make it to thier specs, not the other way around that you see in the PC world.  This is what makes them perform so well and adds to making them a little more user friendly.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
Opinions vary. I used macs for about five years before I made the jump to PC. I'll never go back.
sand

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »
Two  things Id ask...

1) Whats your budget (Macs are pricer in some regards)

2) What do you want to do?  Games? (PC) Video Editting (Mac better), etc?

They are nice systems but where they shine better than PCs is different based on what you want to do.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Gaming? On a Mac?

:rofl

Given the drama lately with PC's, yes.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:08:33 PM »
i thought a Mac is a PC now (a PC in drag?)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Two  things Id ask...

1) Whats your budget (Macs are pricer in some regards)

2) What do you want to do?  Games? (PC) Video Editting (Mac better), etc?

They are nice systems but where they shine better than PCs is different based on what you want to do.

I really liked what I saw in the Apple store regarding multimedia. With a 24" HD monitor the images look better on the Mac. I would only use the Mac for image editing and watching some movie clips, playing mp3 etc. I also liked the remote control idea.
I am a very 'visual' person. The graphics on the Mac is what really has got my attention. It is sooooo slick.

And yes, it appeared to me that they do seem a bit more expensive for comparible hardware with PC.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil1
Mac is far superior to the MS systems.  As far as software goes, you may have a tougher time finding as big of a variety of games but home software, no problem.    Macs are a little more user friendly.  I was a Mac tech for 4 years.  Apple has it together, if you want to produce parts for a MAC, you make it to thier specs, not the other way around that you see in the PC world.  This is what makes them perform so well and adds to making them a little more user friendly.

Mac's are now based on technology funded by PC sales. Mac notebooks are made by the very same people who make PC notebooks using the same parts (Asus).

Mac's run a bastardized version of BSD Unix with a pretty gui.

There is nothing a Mac can do that a PC cannot (usually the PC has 10 x as many choices in software).

There is no technology apple have ever invented or innovated. Every idea they have is a rip of someone elses.

Some parts of Mac OS X are immature, particularly on the networking side (VPN client anyone?). Safari sucks dog balls as it does things in ways that are non-standard. While some of the freebie software with OS X is nice, it is farily basic and the next step is farily expensive (take a look at Ulead video editing products $$$ versus what you have to pay for Mac equivilants).

If you want to be different and be part of a minority (<4% of desktop computers) buy a Mac.

If you want a system with broad software support, good value for money, lots of knowledge on how to get the best out of it, then a PC with Windows.

and don't get me started on Mac security...

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Re: PC or Mac ?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
They have opened up a Mac superstore here and I have been in twice this past week. I am very tempted to buy a new Mac. (see link)

iMac 24"

With the upgrades I want it comes to $2619. plus tax.

Is there any caveat I should know about? Do you think it's smarter to stick with MS? What about software? How much s/w is available for Mac these days? I'm thinking of using my PC for online stuff and the Mac for multimedia stuff.

Any thoughts?

I use a Mac for work and a PC I built up for home (AH2).  I think both are perfectly suited to their respective tasks, and I would not switch either of them (although an upgrade to each would be nice :) ).

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 03:14:50 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
I really liked what I saw in the Apple store regarding multimedia. With a 24" HD monitor the images look better on the Mac. I would only use the Mac for image editing and watching some movie clips, playing mp3 etc. I also liked the remote control idea.
I am a very 'visual' person. The graphics on the Mac is what really has got my attention. It is sooooo slick.

If that's what you want to use if for then buy it.  You won't find anything better guaranteed.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil1
If that's what you want to use if for then buy it.  You won't find anything better guaranteed.

I've built all of my PC boxes. I have no use for warranties other than those provided for each component.
sand

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I've built all of my PC boxes. I have no use for warranties other than those provided for each component.

Yup, same here.  A home built PC is much like a NASCAR race car is.  Top of the line components mixed together for whatever result you are aiming for (games, video work, surfing, music editting, etc)

I know they make cheaper macs now but I still think a $1500 PC offers a lot of "oomph"...that you'd have to pay $2500-$3000 for in a Mac.  And what kind of upgrades can you do to a Mac?  You get get a lot of life out of a PC via upgrading.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
PC or Mac ?
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
I've built 5-6 systems last few years.   when it becomes possible (probably never) to build your own Mac and you can build a Mac for under $500 then i might consider it