Author Topic: Poor Frame Rates  (Read 476 times)

BgMaw

Poor Frame Rates
« on: November 12, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »
I am having problems getting good frame rates. It ranges on from 1-10, making game unplayable. Specs of PC is

AMD 380 mhz
192M ram
SIS 530 graphics driver
win98 op system
dsl connection

I have went into msconfig and unchecked most things at startup, but that didn't really help. I would appreciate it if someone could give me some possible solutions to this problem, thanks

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Poor Frame Rates
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
Not sure what that SIS thingy is but might i suggest a decent vid card, soon to be followed by a faster CPU
This ain't air warrior with gfx designed in the days of 286's...

SKurj

BgMaw

Poor Frame Rates
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2000, 06:06:00 PM »
Well, i am no tech guru by any means, not even sure if that is video card or not...maybe for starters someone can tell me how to check which card & specs I have.  

[This message has been edited by BgMaw (edited 11-12-2000).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Poor Frame Rates
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes, that SIS is your video card.  It sounds like one of the built-in video chipsets.

To check, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.  Now look in the device manager tab.  Under Display Adapters it will tell you the name of your video card.

There are two problems limiting your video speed.  The first is your video chipset, as it is not one with good 3D rendering power.  The second is your CPU.  The AMD K6 series does not perform well in certain types of games, notably flight sims.  The AMD K6 does particularly poorly in Aces High, as AH uses the Floating Point Unit in the CPU heavily, and this is the weak point of the K6 CPU.

The easiest upgrade is likely your video card.  If you are not experienced, I would take your machine to a professional and ask what your options are for an upgraded video card.  Find out if you can use an AGP video card, of if you need a PCI one.  Then come back and let me know, and I can make some reccomendations.

BTW, I am a techie geek by profession.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl