Author Topic: Clarification...  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Clarification...
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »
Zygote,

No, I don't know that the N1K2-J is BS, and neither do you.

I have never managed to perform a wonder manuver and I have never seen one perform a wonder manuver.

I believe that the N1K2-J's e retention may be a bit too high, but nothing so significant as what you guys are claiming.

What I see is a bunch of crybabies who use the N1K2's popularity as an excuse when they lose.  If the Spitfire F.MkIX becomes the most popular, then it will recieve the same abuse.

I have already seen posts to that effect in regards to the Spit IX:

Spit IX is not to be perked.

but their FM must be reviewed, accelerates too much, it does not lose E hardly, and the little that loses recovers it immediately, is effective to any height and its Stall, unlike other airplanes, is always the same one is to the height, not if this is asi really.
i think the spit turns imo too good.
It had a very good low speed handling, and coud fly with a half wing stalled straight on- but it reached the stall very early. The wings were very thin.

This is my only complain about the spit
Those who are prone to whining when they get killed will always whine when they are killed by one of the popular planes and they will always call for its "unrealistic" FM to "fixed".

The fact is that the N1K2-J was a very good warplane when it worked. In AH we don't have the mechanical reliability issues and thus the N1K2-J is a very good warplane.  F6F pilots reported that the George 21's did "impossible" manuvers.  Sound familiar?

The changes that will probably happen to the N1K2-J are not nearly as drastic as what you are hoping for.  Your excuse is safe.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
Clarification...
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
Toad

i made films with suave and i in the TA
and posted them here. also talked to Robert Shaw himself and showed him the films(while i was at the con we talk this over the dinner Ripsnort, Udie and several other were there as well). Everyone on the boards here said the films showed nothing. Shaw said that something was wrong. Basic setup in the film...Im in a spit9 with 25% fuel and suave was in the niki with 25% fuel. we merged almost head on (325 ias)cept he was about 300 ft lower than i. I pulled up in a shallow climb as we passed and extended. Suave procceds to pull a hi G (+5)immelman with almost no lead turn at all(seen in his film).
i exteneded to almost 1.2 and kept climbing thinking he blew some speed in the turn. Not only did i get shot down the niki flew past me as i was hanging on the prop. Explain this for me. How did he catch me as i extended with almost no G's pulled at all and then catch me in the zoom?

RWY

Originally posted by Toad:
Too true, Karnak.

The N1K2-J is indeed a very shy creature when it knows it is being watched. It takes great skill to catch one unawares and film it while it is letting its inner self out on a rampage.

Perhaps someday some Nobel prize winning naturalist will catch a few frames for all ofus to enjoy.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Clarification...
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
RWY, Pryo has said there will be changes. I don't think anyone is arguing that. It's REAL good.  

It's the people with set beliefs that that it's a F16, or worse a ufo? I tried to film it climbing better than a LA7, I can't. Apperently, others are having trouble filming that as well.

Your argument is valid, so is Karnaks. Each has it's merits, but neither are worth constantly discussing until changes are made.

Once HTC reviews and implements the changes, it looks like a good topic for the Aircraft and Vehicles Forum. Mostly for now, it's all repetative wanking for the "Nik is a UFO" crowd.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Clarification...
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
I think people are blaming the N1K2's "climb rate" on a fairly common mistake that everybody does.  Even I used to think the N1K2 had to good of a zoom- now I don't think it does.  

Let me preface this with an example from today.  I got bounced by a tempest, we fought forever (that was a HELL of a fight).  I was in a Dora by the way.  I got behind him and he nosed over, I tried to follow.  The Tempest makes the Dora look like a slug trying to crawl uphill on a pane of glass!  I was like, WOWOW!!.   Then he made a mistake.  He was going faster than me, and he was d1.2 away.  He began to climb, I stayed level.  He kept climbing until his "climb" became a rope a dope. At that point, when I was just about under him, I pulled up into MY climb- I passed him as he was stalling and falling down (he still ended up getting me though, he got a snapshot on me in the scissors that followed this and got a pilot wound <sob>.  Then he blew my tail off  :(.
Point being- the Tempest is both faster AND climbs better- but I zoomed up past him.  Why?  I dunno, ask a physicist, but I think it was because he wasted some speed in his entry to the rope, and I didn't start climbing until I knew I'd have a shot at him coming down.

The N1K2 can do this just as easily as any other plane can, but because of my ignorance in these matters, I figured the N1K2 was "broken" and therefore people that flew it were "cheaters"- figuratively if not literally.  

I honestly don't think you have to treat the N1K2 much different than you treat a Spitfire or a Zeke.  You KNOW not to try to turn with one, and a speed-blowing vertical loop IS a turn, just not one in the horizontal plane.

Just make a pass, extend out, make a pass.  Make HIM lose his speed and dive to regain it, and eventually you'll wear him down, no matter what kind of plane he is in.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Urchin ]

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
Clarification...
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2001, 03:21:00 AM »
Karnak, very rarely get killed by N1K2-J's in my Tiffie, so I don't need an excuse.  I haven't claimed to be anything special in AH, i'm a newbie really and don't know much acm.  

But I know some things about physics and I know that an ac with the same approximate weight and superior level speed v N1K2-J should easily accelerate in a dive substantially faster v N1K2-J.

Was 15k yesterday in Typhoon, wepping and spotted N1K2-J 3k below and just in front of me, also observed another aircraft coalt and at my 1 oclock position, so I decided not to dive on the N1K believing him to be out or range for an attack.  Next think I have cannon fire blazing past my cockpit, N1K's 1k behind now, coalt and slowly losing ground. Explain that Karnak, how does a plane zoom 3k straight up and still have the speed to line up a shot on a wepping tiffie? remember when I saw him he was almost directly below me 3.2k down.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Clarification...
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2001, 03:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin:
An N1K2 can kill a 190A8 1v1 no matter how it flies.  The 190A8 has no strengths vis-a-vis the N1K2..

To quote a famous indian philospher, "Bull Honkey!"  Urchin, it's the pilot, not the plane.  If you don't believe it, find the hottest N1kJ2 pilot you can find, talk Fishu into coming back to the arena and match them up - N1Kj2 vs. Fishu in the A8.

Guys just like to whine - it's the nature of guys who are getting whacked.  Tonight, I was exploring the shoreline for posies and that damn Kappa blew me up just as I spotted one.  Alas, it wasn't the posies that did me in and certainly not the airplane he was flying (P38), it was Kappa.  :)

AKcurly

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Clarification...
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2001, 03:56:00 AM »
Zygote,

He saw you, made a zoom climb in an attempt to get a brief shot on you as you flew over him.

He didn't quite make it though apparently.

For me to give a better analysis I need to know how fast you were going, how fast he was going and how far in front of you he was.

Sounds to me like you misjudged his energy state, position or both and were surprised when he almost got you.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Karnak ]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Clarification...
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Zygote, that's not quite correct.  An AC with a faster level acceleration will also accelerate faster in the early phase of a dive.

Only as you get to higher speeds will the faster level speed plane's ability take over.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
Clarification...
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes, true Fatty, I stand corrected.

Karnak, I was on wep prior to the my seeing the N1K, around 300mph, and I was faster than the N1K below because I almost flew over him, unless of course he was flying different course to me, maybe, still flew up 3k and then drifted off my 6? less he dove first? no idea, just seemed wierd?

Anyhow, I apoligize to fatty for being an amazinhunk, htc stuck the n1k in the game for people to fly, so fly it, I won't, i'll just grab disgustingly large alt and bnz them.

cya's