Author Topic: in 95 % of lockups the clouds are nearby......  (Read 691 times)

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
in 95 % of lockups the clouds are nearby......
« on: August 17, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
But that shouldt afshreckt my puter.
ive bought new stuff like:
cpu 733PIII fcpga
new mainboard (abitbx133raid)fcpga
new sdram 133mhz
gforce II guillmont ddr 32mb
i have no irq conflicts every other games working properly (been trying diffrent new
high speck needed games)
well i just wanna know if anyone else have seen clouds nearby when lockups happen.

airguard

Duckster

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
Um...I haven't really looked when I get lockups.  Most of what I'm hearing from people who are trying to help us out is that it could be related to heat.  But then how is it that Aces High is more sensitive to it then something like Falcon, EAW, Starlancer etc.  I thought those were pretty intensive games, and I definetly don't get the frame rates in Falcon that I get in Aces.  Sorry, I guess this is a rant, not much help to you though.  Check this thread.
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum5/HTML/000544.html

There are a number of potential solutions posted there by a variety of people.

Duckster

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
HeHe yes heat isnt the problem for me ive been monitoring the cpu and mother board and the temp is way under the red line.
And ive also read every thread based on this problem and even changed hardware just in cause it was corrupted.
well i havent a clue what to do and dont really care anymore i just fly and lock up until i get bored and then quit.
and for the record i have no absolotly no irq conflicts  

airguard

Duckster

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2000, 07:02:00 PM »
Well, I'm amazed you have that much patience.  I've just given up altogether.  When I hear of a new patch, maybe I'll try it again.  In the meantime, I'm trying to cancel my subscription.

Bye,

Duckster

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Well if it had been another game i would have given up long time ago, But this is the superior combat flight sim  
Been flying cfs,eaw and FA online at the microsoft zone good games but nothing compared to this. (exept FA that one is pretty good to but flight models are way to unrealistick even in the advanced room)
also been flying falcon 4.0 online and ofcourse offline but those high teck planes doest give the dogfite feeling. huh fireing a missile at a target beyound visual and getting a kill isnt the same lol.
Well enough toejam chat ill just wait and see

airguard

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
air_guard....

Clouds are not your problem....

1.  Size of system power supply (Watts)?

2.  Amount of main system memory (Mb)?

3.  Voltage level (under load) being supplied to AGP Gforce 2 graphics card by Abit motherboard?

Regards,
Badger

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2000, 02:37:00 PM »
voltage = 250w
system mem = 196mb
dunno but voltage for the cpu is 1.5 .
I didnt know there was a voltage setting for the gforce card where do i do or see what its set to ?

[This message has been edited by air_guard (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by air_guard (edited 08-23-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2000, 06:08:00 AM »
Hi air_guard....

There is no voltage control setting available on the actual graphics card, however, it does have a minimum voltage requirement to be delivered by the MB (value escapes me right now) that if not present, or it drops below that value, the system will HANG solid.  When the GeForce type cards first came out, it was a very big discussion amongst users on CL newsgroups and there was some testing that revealed that Abit MB's tended to underpower the GeForce cards.  You'll notice that the newer 3DFX cards even come with their own dedicated power supply.

I would suggest you try two things, if available to you.

First, borrow a 300 watt power supply and re-run your testing.  This can boost the AGP slot voltage slightly on Abit boards, although by design it really shouldn't, but apparently it does in some cases enough to solve the problem.

Second (last resort), try a different MB.

Your problem is NOT Aces High software, that much I can gurantee you.

Regards,
Badger

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
Ok this will be my last shoot.
but i dont really understand why it isnt an ah problem since games like unreal and quake dont mess up my board, And second good reason is why did it start after the version 1.4 pacht lol.
before i didnt had any lockups at all just discoes  (not many)and thats alright cause udont have to wait for the loving scandisk and all toejam to finish before playing again.
but im going to try another pc withing my house and check it lol but this is my last shoot for sure lol.
if its not working ill just fly and dont give a toejam .
'But thanks for the advice  

airguard

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Different games using different graphics actually cause the chipset on any graphics card to run hotter, dependent upon how hard the program pushes the product and utilizes its on-board features.

When you push the board more and it gets hotter, you demand (draw) more current from the MB.  Sometimes that can push it over its threshold of what it can deliver.  That's why "under load" measurements are important.

Regards,
Badger

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2000, 12:26:00 AM »
Air_gaurd do you have any instant messaging programs running like AOL instant messenger or ICQ. And one more thing do you have a modem or cable or dsl connection, if modem do you have it set to turn off call waiting. If you have run any of  those DUN optimizers put your settings back to original settings they are better for games. If you use a modem do you have your browser minimized if so close it. These are a few things I read that can cause a lock up.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »
Ill think the problem is solved now.
since the gforce card could have been the problem i removed it and put in my old tnt2 ultra card.
guess what i could fly  trough the clouds without locking up and fire my guns when several enemies and friendlies around.
i checked the date when i got my gforce card and it machtec the date when the new patch came out lol.
so then i paid 300$ for a roadkill card and now sitting with my 100$ tnt2 card this is plain stupid hehe.
thanks badger for the gforce tip  

airguard

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
Ahhh... what do you have for a power supply?

GF2's are nasty on juice.  If you don't have a 300 watt PS you might try that.  I know that with a 250 Watt PS my old machine would just toejam itself in some games when things got intense.  A new 300 watt power supply fixed it.  AGP cards draw a lot of power, and many of today's systems cant provide the constant power they need through the AGP bus.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
well guess what i have a 250 W power supply, and now im played 2 days without any lockups.
Well i have done that earlyer too but then ive avoided places with clouds.
now i play anyplace with the tnt2 ultra card hehe.
dont know if i bother to do anything right now exepct sell out the gforce 2 card it didnt maked much diffrence anyway (atlest nothing i could see with my eye the frame rate was higher but what the hell).
Im just glad i finally can play again without wondering when do i lock up this time  

airguard

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
The GeForce cards with the fan can draw more that 35W of power ALL BY THEMSELVES.  Team that up with, say, an Athlon Slot A which draws more than 30W and you will have nothing but problems without a 300W supply and excellent cooling.

I've heard about that problem with the ABITs, usually the 300W supply solved the problem for the most part.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS