Author Topic: host lost connection  (Read 717 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
host lost connection
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »
since the latest patch I've had far too many "host lost connection". no switching to TCP lost UDP,just kicked.I was getting CTD but now it's loss of con. It seems like if I up a mossie within a couple of minutes I get booted.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
host lost connection
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
I have the same problem.  I also get computer lockups once in a while too; usually at the AH splash screen when I first start up AH.  I don't have any other kinds of problems.  I get very good frame rates, no stutters, warping, any of that.  Just hangs and lots of discos.  I've just been putting up with this but I got three discos last night and two on Sunday night (didn't fly Monday).  This is really discouraging.

I am about two months back to AH after about a two year layoff.  Since the version I had was so old, I just uninstalled it and downloaded the latest full version which was 2.09..  I have since upgraded twice (Patch 2).  Though I've been seeing discos regularly since my return, it does seem to be worse with this latest patch.  It's so bad now that I won't even consider flying a perked plane because of my fear of being booted.  I have been with this game since the beginning and have never seen more than five discos in six months.  Now, I'll get that many in a week.

I am very methodical about my system and my network setup.  I have a fairly standard setup:  Roadrunner cable broadband, Linksys router with wireless ports for my wife's and daugher's laptops plus wired ports for my game computer and another one my wife uses for web browsing.  We run the Linksys hardware firewall and software firewall software, virus checkers, etc. on each of the computers.  When I first started getting discos, I turned off my firewall, virus, etc. software but that did not seem to make any difference.  I then shelled out $7 for PC Magazine's TaskPower2 software that kills off every non-essential process on your computer.  I will run that just before kicking off AH but I can't say I see any difference there either.

I've been reluctant to post anything about this problem here because I've read other similar threads and the problems always seem to be internet problems.  I guess I need to take this up with my ISP but I don't even know what to say to them.  It's hard to imagine that they would even talk to me about it.

I do know this doesn't happen to everyone.  Two of my squad mates live in my area and use the same provider, same router type, etc. and they do not have these problems.  

I don't know what to do about this.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
host lost connection
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:59:07 PM »
HomeBoy, email me the output of a DXDIAG (Start-Run-DXDIAG), if you would please.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
host lost connection
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:25:50 PM »
While I'm not the most computer savvy person,I did notice that "Homeboy" and I share something in common.He has a dual processor amd cpu and so do I,this caused a few issues in the past.Most were fixed with the AMD patch and or a change in affinity.I'm wondering now if there isn't some problem that the new patch has caused to these CPUs.
  I play with a few guys,they dont seem to have the disco problem,and they dont have dual core cpu's.
  The strangest thing though is that I've gotten this disco only when flying the mossie..... was in TA for an hour or so with no problem,hop in a mossie in less than 5 minutes... disco'ed.Flew several aircraft in MWA for several hours,map change,up a mossie,disco'ed.... purely coincedental, maybe.
  So, if you find a problem,plz advise me on how to correct it..............:aok

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
host lost connection
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
Morfiend,
Interesting observation.  I'm inclinded to agree with you.  I have not applied any patches at all from AMD.  I pulled down the "Dual Core Optimizer" once and started installing it but it gave me the message "You must uninstall the existing software first" and I got spooked and never did it.  Aside from that, I have gone to the AMD web site and searched for driver updates but never saw anything there that I felt would make a difference.  What is this "AMD patch" you speak of and can you tell me where I can get it?

Of course, you're obviously still having a problem with discos even with the patch so maybe it won't help me either but I guess I'm in that "despirate zone" now.

I spent about two hours installing and configuring FSautoStart  which although well worth the time and effort, I doubt it is going to help this situation.

Hope we can get this resolved.  Keep me posted as I will you.

Thanks
-mark
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:50:36 AM by HomeBoy »
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
host lost connection
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:45:22 AM »
Homeboy, are you sure you have installed the motherboard INF drivers?  The error you got from the attempt to install the AMD patch suggests the motherboard drivers have not been installed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
host lost connection
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:57:59 AM »
Scuzzy,
Oops.  I made a typo (just fixed it).  I meant to type "uninstall."  The message was to the effect that I must uninstall the current version before I could proceed.  I was surprised that it did not apparently have the ability to "update" and that's what spooked me and caused me to abort.  I was afraid that I would uninstall then the new version would fail and then I couldn't get the old one back,  yada, yada, yada.  I've been down that road before.

To answer your question though,  I followed the installation instructions on the CD that came with the MB and as far as I can tell, I've done everything.  Is there somewhere I can look to be sure that I have everything right?

Thanks for the time you've spent with me on this.  I do appreciate it.
-mark
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
host lost connection
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:45:10 PM »
Check the Windows hardware device manager and look at the systems devies list.  It should show detailed names and part numbers of allthe devices, if the INF files are loaded for the motherboard chipset.

Otherwise, they show generic names.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
host lost connection
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 06:39:54 PM »
homeboy.look at the thread for "dual core cpu's".there's a link to the amd patch,I dont recall it's name,needless to say it allowed me to change my affinity back to XP. before this update I had to run my OS as win98. BTW flew mossie for quite some time without the kick.......Doh..:confused:

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
host lost connection
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:32:23 AM »
Thanks morfiend and Skuzzy for the tips.

My disco problems may be solved.

It turned out that I pretty much had all the updates installed anyway.  There was apparently a later version of the "Dual Core Optimiser" though than the one I had so I was able to update that.  Everything else checked out ok.  I have been reading all these threads about not using the latest nvidia drivers (especially 90.x).  I was pretty sure my  video drivers were one of the latest releases but when I checked, I was pleasantly surprised to see "Forceware 81.98" which is apparently considered one of the "safe ones."  I'll have to be careful now to never upgrade my video drivers.  That's hard to get used to as I am in the habit of updating drivers on a regular basis.

Skuzzy recommended that I disconnect my second monitor that I had plugged into the secondary vid port on my nvidia 6600 GT card as he thinks that might be causing these discos I'm experiencing.  I reluctantly did that (sure enjoy having dual monitors when I'm working at the desktop) and flew AH for three hours last night without a single disco.  I'm not ready to celebrate yet as I have gone even a couple of nights without incident.  If I can go a week without a disco then I'll call this problem solved.  Thank you Skuzzy for helping me on this.

I sure am excited about FSautoStart.  That has definitely made a difference in the overall performance of AH on my machine.  It is much smoother and I'm pretty sure my framerates are better (I'm pretty sloppy about monitoring that) usually.  I sure do recommend that utility.

Hope you're disco problem is solved as well.

S!
-mark
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
host lost connection
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 10:55:55 AM »
I'm glad Homeboy's disco problem is solved.  The "lost host connection" issue that was the original topic of this thread, however, remains.  I probably made 12 attempts to log ointo the MA last night before getting on.  I got the "lost host connection" message over and over again.  Homeboy and others in our squad mentione having the same problem.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
host lost connection
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 12:26:56 PM »
Condor,
The "lost host connection" you speak of is a different issue completely.  The problem morfiend and I have been having is where you are flying in the game and suddenly get booted (disco -- disconnected).  What you are describing occurs when you attempt to enter an arena and are unable to do so.  The reason is usually that that arena is full though something strange was definitely going on last night with the blue arena.  I kept getting kicked even though there was considerably fewer players in the arena than the max.  Not sure what was going on there.  The program is actually designed to completely kick you out of the game (there is a thread that discusses the issues with this) when you cannot enter the arena in order to reset the connection.  When this happens, you get a popup message something to the effect of "lost host connection."  This message is being generated because the program is actually closing your connection to the server.

I admit that it looks like a bug when this happens but the program is actually functioning correrctly.  It just scores a little low in style points in this regard.

Hope that makes some sense.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
host lost connection
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »
Home boy,check ur PM plz........ and the disco's seem less frequent,didnt change anything....... cupid stomputers......:(

Offline gear

• Silver Member
host lost connection
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
I keep getting host time out mesg while waiting for it to log me on.

Offline gear

• Silver Member
host lost connection
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:14 PM »
I keep getting discoed when trying to enter a  hanger.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:29:39 PM by gear »