Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35944 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Is there always a capturable base on the water's edge somewhere

Depends on map. On current map: No.
For example on current map the first 4-5 capturable bases are along the coast. When the "road of advance" turns away from coastline, carriers have to wait until it gets back to coast another 4-5 bases later.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »
soo 100 people fighting 100 people for 1 base?

maybe this needs tweaking so as numbers increase, more bases can be captured.

right now knits can capture 2 bish bases but only 1 rook base.

is it linked to numbers? for instance, bish and rooks out number knits, so are there more bases between THOSE two that are capturable? this would slightly reduce ganging

the new map looks great though...
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2006, 08:45:53 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag

the new map looks great though...

Itīs not a new map, it was already in rotation before the arena changes. And it was a great one, with itīs huge  armored drives along the VBases...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2006, 09:02:02 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
I'll second what Stang said about what Kweassa said!

Westy

(Fients, second front, flanks, secret strategery... lol.   Cute werds for milk runnin)

I concur with Westy's second of what Stang said about what Kweassa said.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Itīs not a new map, it was already in rotation before the arena changes. And it was a great one, with itīs huge  armored drives along the VBases...

i had 12 months off while drinking more alcohol than i could afford... i came back and only had 1month of good old AH before it went off into some strange world....

this needs to be tweaked so at least 4-5 bases can be captured.... or the planes need to be changed to WWI planes... because this is how "armies" worked in WWI... pound 1 target constantly for a few months, gaining no ground at all...fun! :(

i dont understand the point of using big maps, if only 2 bases per side are captureable.... why not just create a 3 base map? on a 64x64 grid and be done with it?

this system will do away with random attacks, and the creations of second fronts.... I used to LOVE stealing (milking) a base miles away from the front line on trinity, then try and keep the foothold on the beach alive, and FIGHT for the other bases. Sure, the first base was often a milkrun, but its the fights that occurred AFTER that happened that was some of the greatest ever...gaining a foot hold somewhere else on the large maps created new opportunities for fights. Now there's 3 massive hordes, and Now there's going to be 3 sectors of action, and 400ish of nothing..

why?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:05:31 PM by Overlag »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2006, 09:32:07 PM »
This new system is FUBAR. Please don't go forward with it. I don't want to spend another 15 minutes flying to recapture a base just to have it suddenly uncapturable.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Bode

• Zinc Member
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2006, 09:42:30 PM »
Sounds like a Big Dueling Arena to me. Now everyone knows exactly where everyone else is. Going to put a stop to Awarded Perky points beacuse No side will bother to capture a base, just simply meet in the middle and furball. How you going to get a C-47 past 30 LA7s and 25 Spit 16s. I'll reserved total judgement till I play the map a bit more. Seems useless to map a large map for this, unless you have change that after a week map resets. Cause it might take Months for a Country to Reset a Map. Just some thoughts to ponder, <>

Online CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
I got over the new arena setup.. I don't like it but, I got over it. I was Ok with the super bases (acks).

But all I can say about this new base capture system is.... it sucks.:(

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2006, 09:50:32 PM »
loving it.  thanks.:aok
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Bode
Sounds like a Big Dueling Arena to me. Now everyone knows exactly where everyone else is. Going to put a stop to Awarded Perky points beacuse No side will bother to capture a base, just simply meet in the middle and furball. How you going to get a C-47 past 30 LA7s and 25 Spit 16s. I'll reserved total judgement till I play the map a bit more. Seems useless to map a large map for this, unless you have change that after a week map resets. Cause it might take Months for a Country to Reset a Map. Just some thoughts to ponder, <>

just might need air superiority?:aok

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
Greetings,

Interesting concept.  If I may make a recommendation, instead of a single line of advance, allow the fields to become capturable (is that a word?) within a certain radius of distance from a friendly base.  I would need to check each map, but with the correct distance it would create the line of advance you are looking for, but add branches and sequels that players could choose to follow or broaden the axis of advance - while still maintaining the focus of engagement you seem to be looking for.

Regards,

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
I like it... however it appears that no matter what, those who prefer the path of least resistance will simply adjust.  Never saw so many Lala's, Spitty's and Niki's as I did tonight.  

So, IMHO.. this experiment is a good thing in that it's forced a few to truly work at capturing a base.  At least some organization and cooperation required, in other words.  The advantage, at the very least is a lesson learned for all and for a few... the comforting knowledge that at some players now have a clue to what the others do regularly, I'm sure there will be at least a few converts.  I don't enjoy the idea of spending 98% of my time chasing a bunch of HOing, stick-stirring, up-die-rinse-repeat Quake types about, but I do believe this experiment should not, and probably will not hold... but it's going to lead to much better things in the future for everyone.

I have to send a big thanks to HTC for running this trial.  Sends a message to the community that there's ~real~ interest in improving game play for all (at risk of irritating a growing percentage of the game base).

Now... WHERE the heck is CT??? :)

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline KryptoniteXP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »
I do my fair share of furballing and base capturing and here's my thought's on it...

I love it from a furballing end...  cruising over a base at 25k and seeing 10+ targets to choose from is nice :)

BUT,  I don't always feel like cherrypicking or furballing and want to get something done (taking a base and helping win a map).  This new system is set up for the horde and furballers.  There are people that just solely furball or cherrypick and props to them for playing the game the way they like. This change is great for them.  The strategy minded people have taken a serious blow on this.

What a lot of people call "milkrunning", when done in a well populated arena, I call strategy.  Attacking strat targets (factories, etc...) is strategic.  Capturing a behind the lines base IS strategic.  "Divide and conquer" is a well known philosophy.  That is what attacking multiple at the same time does to the enemy.

You think our real world enemies knew what base/strat target we were going to hit?  NO.  Would the 262's and other uber aircraft been waiting high above the target for the attack? YES.  Would the allies have put that target on the back-burner and attacked something else til the former cooled down? HECK YA (unfortunately the new system doesn't allow for such discretion).  For a great example of "divide and conquer" check out all the prep work done for D-day, which caused the enemy to divide its' forces.

So... overall i don't like it...  For now I have a choice to just play in the Blue arena along with the others that don't like it.  I'll live with the ENY issue I have at the moment in the blue arena so that I can play strategically (my fancy at the moment).

See you all in the arena's.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
Originally posted by FBplmmr
just might need air superiority?:aok

hordes? i thought thats something no one wanted?

small maps = fights at every base

bigmaps with this setup = fights at 2 bases

why not just make a 64x64 map with 3 bases. im 90% sure that only 10-20 players would fly at that arena......and the rest will be fighting the war game they joined.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:40:08 PM by Overlag »

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »
Milk runners, so what?    grabbing a base while no one is looking, so what?  blah blah!    Why cry about people doing it,  does it effect you that much?   There is Way Too many Generals.  Some people just cant stand it when, others are not on the same agenda as them.  "the ol,  "if you aint thinking like me, you aint thinking right". boyeeeeee

As we stand back and look at the situation, we all see it in different light and thats fine, thats life.    But, if it was a real "tryout" type thing then see what people really want.  

Leave it like it is, but make ONE ARENA "RED"  like the Old MA 5-6- 700+ players and no base capture bs, have the dweeb planes and all,   See where the numbers go,  if they end up in the orange or blue or EW or MW well then the old ma system was at least givin a chance.      

And if it did show that the people want the "limited number" arena and new base capture system,  I would never say another word about this ever ever again.

Id be like a robot,,, yes master, i will play AH like you want me too.. beep!  I will not B&Z , i will not HO, i will not extend more then 3 times, i will not vulch, i will not fly any dweeb planes, i will not milkrun, i will not attack a undefended base, i will not bug out when bingo ammo must get shot down to go to tower, i will bail if a collision is probable,   if im on someones 6 i will broadcast on chan 200 to make sure its ok with them if i shoot them down just incase they are bingo ammo or have kills to land or just dont want to die.   I will do more "control" programing later because im sure i missed something.  

well thats all folks,,,,, for now  . have a nice day  :)  be nice!