Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35946 times)

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #810 on: December 04, 2006, 08:50:43 AM »
Overlag, your last post makes me wonder if you have done anything else but attack.

And all your points make the new system even more worth while.

1)  Before the change, many times when I have upped to defend and if the numbers were close to equal, we would stop the first wave, then the second wave then the pool dried up.  They stopped coming because they couldn't fight through the defense.  Game over good fights over.  20 mins later you see these same guys just took an undefended base, Yay high five to everyone for not fighting!!!!

In the new system they have no where else to go, or if they do move their options are limited enough that as defenders you can follow them around, thus making the game more realistic and seeming like all the bases are well defended.  

In the new system, now instead of running to a new base where no one is at, maybe they have to enlist some bombers to go hit the surrounding bases, or send out fighter sweeps to suppress the surrounding fields, while another group goes after the capturable field.  Straters win because now they have to actually use tactics other than hiding.

I think it was baldEagle that was talking about how he was going after the VH and got frustrated and left because he couldn't get the capture.  Well my answer is, BEagle YOUR OLD TACTICS didn't and won't work.  If your a strat guy, start creating new tactics.  Instead of getting all your numbers and going after one objective you should have created smaller groups and hit the fields where the defenders were coming from.  NEW TACTICS!!!

Did you ever think to fight them where they were upping instead of fighting them at the base you want to take.  

Unfortunately he just took his ball and went home, sort of sad that he didn't rise to the challenge.  If all you guys want are easy captures then you really don't want better strat I guess.

2)  You up to defend a base, you dont have equal numbers, you get off the field a couple times, repel the first attackers, now all of a sudden it's 20 on 2 and you wonder where all your countrymen are. You look at the map and they are off hitting undefended fields somewhere else.  Yay High Five everyone for not fighting a sole and taking undefended bases.

In the new system, with the limited fields hopefully you will see the people that were strung out all over the map that did not want to be in the attacking horde, now grouped together defending one area rather than 1 or 2 spread out all over the map pointlessly defending.  Now these guys are able to better group their efforts and defend.

All in all the new changes forces you stray guys to come up with tactics.  Something I would think you all have been wishing for, for a long time.  It breaths life back into the mega squads, but forces them to take there mega numbers against, hopefully the brunt of the enemy's defenders.

If all you guys opposed to this system, would stop worrying about having to fight it out, and embrace fighting then you would see all the possibilities such a system can deliver. :aok
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:27:51 AM by Quah! »

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #811 on: December 04, 2006, 09:06:49 AM »
LOL Delta, I would think you of all people would be able to see the need for better tactics in this new system and be able to rise to the occasion rather than cry in your beer.

Where are all these great stratergerist that have been clammering for better more challenging tactics.  Now you have them  and you are all running for the door.  What gives?

You guys have to open your eyes, accept the changes and see what new tactics you can dream up.

I think it's sort of sad, when you have dedicated furballers being able to understand, see the need, create and execute the new tactics while the bonafide strat guys are just sticking their heads in the sand.

Minus Flayed who has stepped up and is doing a great job trying to make this a better game for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:23:35 AM by Quah! »

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
Strategy
« Reply #812 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:32 AM »
IMHO, this just turns AHII into more of an arcade game.

Strategy is more important now then ever before, Yes it can become an arcade type game if you let it and it happen to us last night in that we let a tank battle keep going to long without trying to take out  the VH. We were defending a capture able base, Strategy would have been to down VH that was attacking us and go after the capture able base. This is where the large squads will come into play as people learn to play the new type maps if HT keeps them. The loose knit play we have had will not be effective in here, more to capture a base now then just put togather a mission to go after it. You will have to pay atenation to  what is happening at bases around it and your base and be prepare to react to it.

MORE STRATEGY WILL BE NEEDED TO WIN A BASE OR MAP.
JT

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #813 on: December 04, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »
Originally posted by Quah!
I think it was baldEagle that was talking about how he was going after the VH and got frustrated and left because he couldn't get the capture.  Well my answer is, BEagle YOUR OLD TACTICS didn't and won't work.  If your a strat guy, start creating new tactics.  Instead of getting all your numbers and going after one objective you should have created smaller groups and hit the fields where the defenders were coming from.  NEW TACTICS!!!

Did you ever think to fight them where they were upping instead of fighting them at the base you want to take.  

OK, so you're suggesting that if I broke my 6 man group into smaller groups and went to attack other bases we would have achieved our objective?  Get real.  We needed everyone we had to punch our way through the Rooks just to get to the capturable field and had we had a few more pilots we would have had the capture.

Unfortunately he just took his ball and went home, sort of sad that he didn't rise to the challenge.

I didn't get frustrated and go home until I was the only one left being steamrolled by the Rooks.  I want you to tell me how long you'de like to keep playing 1 on 10, 20, 30.  If thats what gets you off then go for it.  Like I've said in a previous post, I'm usually up for a challenge but this was ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:06:12 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #814 on: December 04, 2006, 09:58:34 AM »
Originally posted by robjw1977
And this is bad because....?

...it makes it harder to capture bases.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #815 on: December 04, 2006, 10:01:09 AM »
Wow, I was afk for a few days and see that Twitchy has stopped whining via the wall-o-text posts and just keeps trying to get me to read the rules, mainly #4 and #5.

Okay I'll go read them, thx twitchy.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #816 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
Anybody have the Cliff Notes version of this thread?

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #817 on: December 04, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
Anybody have the Cliff Notes version of this thread?

-something changed
-this is good
-this is bad
-the sky is falling
-what happeneded here?
-fighting is bad
-furballers are arcaders
-i'm quitting if i don't get my way
-whaaaaaa!
-see rule #4, #5, #2425123846

...I think that about summarizes things...

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #818 on: December 04, 2006, 10:45:01 AM »
I just used you as an example Eagle don't get all bunched up.  So yes if your country's resources are being overwhelmed because you don't have enough numbers to fight the other two countries that is a problem and why with this system I think 2 country's is the way to go.

If it's because your country was using all it's resources to play the old game of only hitting the other team where they are weakest with overwhelming numbers and wasted resources rather than just enough to get the job done and sending the excess to where you were fighting then it's your countries and the people on at that time's tactics that suck and need to change.

Or maybe you personally couldn't foster the people to join you, no dis intended, but that doesn't mean this change sucks.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #819 on: December 04, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »
Originally posted by Edbert
-something changed
-this is good
-this is bad
-the sky is falling
-what happeneded here?
-fighting is bad
-furballers are arcaders
-i'm quitting if i don't get my way
-whaaaaaa!
-see rule #4, #5, #2425123846

...I think that about summarizes things...

Sweet, thanks Ed. I have the Cliff Notes version of the "Arena split" threads and they are identical to this one so I'm good. :)

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #820 on: December 04, 2006, 11:09:26 AM »
Originally posted by robjw1977
And this is bad because....?

It causes stagnant maps,
un-reaistic sized so called 'dog-gights'.
forces one style of play,
ends the strategic side of game ALMOST completely,
if this is fun to you, would you like air spawns and industructable fields, all in 1 gridsquare?

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #821 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »
It causes stagnant maps,

No it forces people to think up new tactics and strategy.  Just because you and the other so called strategerist can't see this doesn't mean maps will stagnate.  Those that are true strategerist will come up with new, more fun and better tactics to make this work.

I have been here since 01 and seen this game go through many renditions.  All your arguments were used when they introduced large maps, made the cites and fields bigger etc.

un-reaistic sized so called 'dog-gights'.
You mean dogfights you are not accustomed to and have not learned how to deal with maybe.  Go read Peter Townsends Battle of Britain and let me know if you think the dogfights are unrealistic in size.

forces one style of play,
ends the strategic side of game ALMOST completely,
if this is fun to you, would you like air spawns and industructable fields, all in 1 gridsquare?

Again shows a lack of vision and creativity on your part that is all.  Time will bear this out and you will see the silliness of many in this thread.

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #822 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:58 AM »
No it forces people to think up new tactics and strategy.  Just because you and the other so called strategerist can't see this doesn't mean maps will stagnate.  Those that are true strategerist will come up with new, more fun and better tactics to make this work.

I have been here since 01 and seen this game go through many renditions.  All your arguments were used when they introduced large maps, made the cites and fields bigger etc.

You mean dogfights you are not accustomed to and have not learned how to deal with maybe.  Go read Peter Townsends Battle of Britain and let me know if you think the dogfights are unrealistic in size.

Again shows a lack of vision and creativity on your part that is all.  Time will bear this out and you will see the silliness of many in this thread.

never try and tell a brit, about the battle of britain, especially when his family includes to RAF officers of that era ;) , just some advice ,,]

also, BOB  was not just fighters flying around airfileds, they worked in groups of four picking off bombers, fighting 109's.

there is only 1 tactic available now my friend, carpet bombing the hangers, as there is little chance of you taking a field otherwise when half the country is there,

so frankly, that piont is in-valid, and shows dreamy, rose-tinted vision on your part.

Time won't bear this out for you, as you could sit in a black dotted furball for eternity, and not notice a base flashing form your 'lack of vision on your part'.

your happy, thats good, but some arent, so have some respect them, we all deserve our say, if you agree or not, you'll find this thread started for me, when i claimed unhappy with changes, and was burnt like charcoal, no-one canm have their say if it doesnt agree with the likes of certain people.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:34:02 AM by Laurie »

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #823 on: December 04, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »
Lauri you know nothing about me, you made that clear in your initial post so don't stipulate what I do and don't, it just shows your age and ignorance.

So you are a Brit, congrats LOL, then you should know a little something about the size and breadth of those battles and the numbers the germans threw at your ancestors.  Or are you telling me Peter Townsend was FOS and his book was complete bullocks???

You keep your head in the sand, there are other that will take up the challenge.  You will learn someday.:aok

Offline Boomer49

• Zinc Member
« Reply #824 on: December 04, 2006, 11:35:25 AM »
Originally posted by Laurie
incorrect sir, its 6, 3 on each country,

restrictive.

It enhances player per grid concentration, nothing else, nothing more.

Think creatively.... the bases that can be captured, suppression of any air support base nearby or veh base so you can capture the target base, so IF you have enough people, thats 3 maybe even 4 battles on just one capturable base...really depends on how creative the group your flying with wants to be.

Think outside the box.