Author Topic: PC shutdowns  (Read 450 times)

Offline Hizakite

• Zinc Member
PC shutdowns
« on: August 26, 2000, 09:53:00 AM »
Anyone any ideas why a pc should shut itself down for no reason? Sometimes it happens before even windows has booted up. After it happens the power switch doesn't work at all and the only way to get it to start again is to turn off and on again the main psu switch at the back of the box. Once u do that the power switch works ok....until it auto shutdowns again   All fans r working ok and i have the case open to so i dont think it is overheating. Infact sometimes it shuts down within a few mins of turning it on first time that day. Any ideas anyone? Faulty MB or PSU?

Thanks in advance  

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
PC shutdowns
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
Interesting problem.  First of all, you might not know that the front switch on most newer computers only sends a signal to the MB to turn the computer on.  If you get forced into a hard lockup situation it will often be impossible to turn off the power with this switch.  If you hold the switch in for 5 seconds or so, that will turn off the power.

Now, to the problem itself.  I would first check to be sure that your video card, CPU, and all periperal cards are firmly in their slots.  I've fixed a couple computers with similar symptoms where the problem ended up being that the CPU was pulling out of its slot when the system warmed up.
Next, you might check that your sleep button's connector hasn't came loose.  (I've never seen this, but I suppose it could happen.)

If nothing above works, I would probably try a power supply first.  They are cheaper than MBs and you can probably return them if they fail to fix the problem.  (IMO though, I think it's probably the MB.)

Good Luck  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
PC shutdowns
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
I'd say power supply as well.  Get a decent 300 Watt power supply... just to be safe.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline Hizakite

• Zinc Member
PC shutdowns
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2000, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys....fitted a new power supply and the problem has gone away  

Thanks again