Author Topic: .45 1, squirrel 0  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 08:26:36 PM »
If it went end for end but not from a side shot.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »
Ohfercripessake!

47Hooker, did you use a hollowpoint and if so, did the critter explode?

Don't forget to post the wind speed/direction, air temperature, barometer, ballistic coefficient of the projectile you fired, your barrel land/groove diameters and slow-motion Kennedy assassination conspiracy type footage of the rodent's demise.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Re: .45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
Originally posted by 47Hooker
OMG!  I was target practicing with my M1911A1 .45 at about 25 yds.  Afterwards, I was walking back to the house and heard a squirrel raising hell in a nearby tree.  I walked closer to about 25 yds and drew a bead on it thinking....no way, but what the hell, its still there.  BOOM.  The squirrel hit the ground before the shell casing did.:aok

This one will not be making it to the stew pot:D

Heh went hunting last weekend with a buddy of mine, didn;t get anything, didnt see anyting, for 4 hours...not a single thing, including my friend. I hear some rustling below me and over the 2-way  I hear him ask me? Hey, is that you up there?

Not knowing where he was, I of course said "yeah, it's me.

"good," he says. "For a minute there, I thought I saw one of those rare, orange bellied tree deer"

thanks, ******* :)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 09:22:34 PM »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
I made a slight error a few years ago when i switched from a crossbow to a compound bow.

I was in a tree stand one morning surrounded by squirrels and not seeing hide nor hair of a deer all morning.  One fox squirrel climbed the tree ahead of me about 20 yards away and stood there ho humming.  Being new to this particular bow I was dying to use it in the field.  I switched to a field tip arrow and took careful aim after drawing back.

Sure enough I hit the squirrel.  I climbed down the tree when my dad walked out into the field ahead of me and as I was going to proudly show him my kill and brag about my excellent shooting ability it dawned on me...

I had pinned the squirrel to the tree.  25 feet above me.  In a tree impossible to get up into with anything short of a hoverpack.

There went $15 worth of arrow and tip.  I call it tuition.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 10:38:59 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
I made a slight error a few years ago when i switched from a crossbow to a compound bow.

I was in a tree stand one morning surrounded by squirrels and not seeing hide nor hair of a deer all morning.  One fox squirrel climbed the tree ahead of me about 20 yards away and stood there ho humming.  Being new to this particular bow I was dying to use it in the field.  I switched to a field tip arrow and took careful aim after drawing back.

Sure enough I hit the squirrel.  I climbed down the tree when my dad walked out into the field ahead of me and as I was going to proudly show him my kill and brag about my excellent shooting ability it dawned on me...

I had pinned the squirrel to the tree.  25 feet above me.  In a tree impossible to get up into with anything short of a hoverpack.

There went $15 worth of arrow and tip.  I call it tuition.

Just tell everyone it's a warning to the other rodents )
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Re: alive is much better than dead...
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 12:07:40 AM »
the grandbaby and the cage I built:

well its not a very good cage, she's clearly escaped dude, tried putting her on a leash and fastening it to a stake in the ground, then she can run a round a little.

:p
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »
Originally posted by VOR
Ohfercripessake!

47Hooker, did you use a hollowpoint and if so, did the critter explode?

No.  230gr FMJ.  Side shot, clean.  Tore the meat up though.  I usually get them with a scope-equipped .22 in the head.   That way they can be cleaned and eaten.  If not, they are given to the beasts of the field and the vulchers of the air as a prey;)

I guess I should have mentioned that I live WAY out in the country.  The way some people react I guess they think I shot it off of a bird bath at the local playground in a housing area while little kids and old ladies were throwing bits of stale bread at it.

I'm out in the sticks and squirrels are everywhere.  I counted 18 in one spot once.  (before they went on the list:t )  What's done here is no different that setting a mouse trap or putting out poison for rats in your garage.  These are just tastier.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »
ok... I have shot a lot of ground squirrles with 44 mags and 22's out of handguns.

With a 250 grain slug at 1200-1300 fps the 44 is a thermonuke next to the 230 grain 45 acp at 800 fps but..

I have hit em square and they sometimes don't even show much of a wound... other times they will rip in half with one end flying 6-10 ft away.  depends..

these are ground squirrles.. they destroy crops and are a danger to levees and animals..  they are no personal threat to me but I do have to poison em as part of my job to protect my levees...  I would rather shoot em tho because...

well... It is good target practice.   very good target practice.   I feel that shooting them is a lot better way for them to die than the poison... when I think of it at all.   mostly, I just think it is good target practice.

I am sure that poisonous snakes have a role to play too but.... not around me.   I will take whatever their being gone brings.

I used to enjoy shooting rats at the dump when that was allowed too.   Live vermin have allways been a favorite reactive target for me.    

lazs

Offline loser

• Silver Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 08:31:30 AM »
Hehe Lazs, that reminds me of a funny story.

My dad was in the RCMP "back in the day" and shortly after his first posting he was out at the dump on duty dispatching a porcupine that was being aggressive for some reason (rabies?)

Anyway, at that time, each RCMP member upon graduating was issued 6 .38 SP silver bullets. Not sure if they still do this.

He had his silver bullets loaded that day for some odd reason and, yup forgetting that he had his silvers loaded, he shot the porcupine...with a silver bullet.

OOPS!

:lol

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2006, 09:45:59 AM »
I don't know why anyone would have a problem with someone legally taking game.  In south Florida, small game includes grey squirrels, dove, rabbit, quail, snipe, and woodcock, opposum, coyotes and armadillo.  It is the educated managment of wildlife populations.  I feel that wanton killing is wrong, so if I don't eat it - or try to it eat it, or keep the hide, or feed it to my cats, it walks.  My 12 year old kid knows that this is the "Indian" way.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 09:48:33 AM »
Anyway, at that time, each RCMP member upon graduating was issued 6 .38 SP silver bullets. Not sure if they still do this.

I think Canada got its Werewolf population under control in the 1990s. They might still issue them out of tradition though.

Charon

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 10:14:12 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
ok... I have shot a lot of ground squirrles with 44 mags and 22's out of handguns.

With a 250 grain slug at 1200-1300 fps the 44 is a thermonuke next to the 230 grain 45 acp at 800 fps but..

I have hit em square and they sometimes don't even show much of a wound... other times they will rip in half with one end flying 6-10 ft away.  depends..

LOL.  If I wanted to blow them apart, I would hunt them with my .357.  Got some reloads with 158gr SJHP.  A buddy of mine said he chrono'd them at over 1800fps!  I shot a 5 gal bucket full of water with one and it exploded.  The mushroomed round was imbeded in an oak tree behind it:O   That's approaching rifle velocity.  A squirrel would be a red mist.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

Great story Hornet.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
.45 1, squirrel 0
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Yes it would, It's just a chunk of lead moving at 750 to 900 FPS not a thermonuke.

one hunting trip, me using .32 Winchester trapper, friend using 7mm x something or other, might have been a 6mm too.  Anyway I missed my deer, he didnt.   so we dress it out and then try to decide drag it 200 yards or so back up the hill or drag it down the hill half a mile to the next road.   We opt for downhill.   on the way down we ran across some grouse.   I have my .32, no pistol, that I usually carry but not on this day :rolleyes:
My friend says too bad we'll have to pass cause both our guns are just to big for something so small as grouse.   I see it as a challenge, the grouse are only about 40 feet away.   I sit down, take aim (iron sights at that time) very carefully put the sights on its head and squeeze, pow, headless grouse.   I'm amazed, it was so easy.  the grouse of course not being very bright birds only go a few feet and stop again.   Well that was so eazy I figure I'll get a second one.  Aim again, squeeze, pow, poof, nothing but feathers explode everywhere. Ok figure I'll quit while I'm ahead.   Very tasty little birds  :)