Author Topic: not impressed with flight models  (Read 2026 times)

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
not impressed with flight models
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:27 AM »
i cant tell you how many time i have unpacked it and i cant find where the freakin files are going:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Since tour 75

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 05:49:51 AM »
Nick, are you using the Saitek software that came with your Joystick?

I do not know for sure, but i think the software uses DAT files to store the profiles you program. You need to find the place where they are stored and put this file in there as well.

Maybe someone that actually uses Saitek programming software can help you with this.

Whats your problem with the Sketchwork sounds?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 06:02:39 AM »
no prblem with the sounds anymore a folder just popped up on the desktop

crazy

i guess 500,000,000 times the charm

no i dont use the programing software something about programing each keystroke to a key makes my stomach church but i will try to open the map with the setup thing
Since tour 75

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 06:08:55 AM »
yah i had to open it in the editor

thanks schatzi
Since tour 75

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »
Originally posted by BANG48
OK Ok! I give...
I must have to get my Saitek x52 set up for this Sim.. I'm not sure I have the patience to get through the hassle. I also am befuddled by the intriquite arena's and how to navigate around in the Sim. I downloaded some instructional stuff to study. I will stay and work at figuring out the sim until I get frustrated.. All I can report is that my first exsperience with Aces has been difficult. I love the concept and hope I can adjust and get involved.
 As for some folks here "poo pooing" other flight sims. I still have not found a better flight sim than Microsoft flight sim . It's still the standard. I know it's not a combat sim but it is very user friendly and does not take a month to learn the software. The flight models, weather, ATC and IFR approaches for the most part are pretty good.
 I'm an old guy who has 3000 hours of private and commercial flying back in the 70s  before a heart defect grounded me. All I would like here is some help from people who want to make this site successfull.

Bang, if ya want to tool around looking at the scenery then MS flight sim is for you, how ever, if you looking for an action packed high speed game then AH2 is the ticket. Sure there are some times that your just tooling along looking at the scenery.... on climb out or as your plane is spiraling down in a flaming heep....but imersion is the name of the game here.

MS makes there game and tells everyone else this is it, you make your stuff work with it. HTC in the other hand trys to make there game as close as they can to a flight simulator, but also has to work around 100's of controllers and systems to make it avalible to as many as they can.

Seting up the controllers is no big deal. Email Schatzi... she's a doll and is a great trainer. Set-up a time you can meet up with her in the training arena, she'll set you up in the communications first, then talk you through, step by step, the controller set-up... which is just clicking here and there and moving some sliders around... Then she get you in the air to tool around a bit chasing her....ummm.... wellll.... her 6  :) and she'll even let you shoot her up a bit :O

Setting up and flying the planes isn't that big a deal, the learning curve comes in when you try to survive in the main arenas  :) they will be handing your butt to you over and over for a while, but don't take it personally, they really do like having you around :t

Good Luck

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 10:28:50 AM »
I just bought an x52 a few weeks ago, and it was a big change over the x45 that I had previously, its taken me 3 weeks to get used to the different feel of the stick, now that Im almost used to it, I wouldnt go back to another one. It did feel jerky as there is almost no resistance to your input, blacked out alot, couldnt aim, etc etc, keep adjusting the setting s until it feels good. good luck.....by the way, I couldnt aim very well before either, so Im back to normal there already :D
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:17 AM »
I'm using the x52 as welol. No jerkyness problems. I also didn't need to set up the stick using the saitek software. Only thing I needed to do in thier softwarre was to set up dead zones for some of the axis'. The stick seems to want to twist to the right a little bit all by itself. So I have to adjust the deadzone to compensate.

If I don't adjust I get this herky jerky back and forth movement. Sometimes all of the movement is a bit clunky. The stick needs to be recalibrated often. Like once every week. Or anytime I accidently unplug it. If I don't then I get this herky jerky movement. Like the control stick is electronically "floating" for lack of a better term.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »
Originally posted by BANG48
OK Ok! I give...
I must have to get my Saitek x52 set up for this Sim.. I'm not sure I have the patience to get through the hassle. I also am befuddled by the intriquite arena's and how to navigate around in the Sim. I downloaded some instructional stuff to study. I will stay and work at figuring out the sim until I get frustrated.. All I can report is that my first exsperience with Aces has been difficult. I love the concept and hope I can adjust and get involved.
 As for some folks here "poo pooing" other flight sims. I still have not found a better flight sim than Microsoft flight sim . It's still the standard. I know it's not a combat sim but it is very user friendly and does not take a month to learn the software. The flight models, weather, ATC and IFR approaches for the most part are pretty good.
 I'm an old guy who has 3000 hours of private and commercial flying back in the 70s  before a heart defect grounded me. All I would like here is some help from people who want to make this site successfull.

yes standard pretty much describes MFS.
If you get setup in AH I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. All I had to do was install it and go fly. Over time I wanted certain items mapped to certain buttons...

Good Luck, hope to see you in the game!

PS Many in AH would be glad to help you, myself included. The training arena is a good start to get your feet wet.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »
Bang48 I sent you private mail. Holler back when you have a sec.

Offline vizwhiz

• Zinc Member
DON'T GIVE UP BANG!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
Bang, I had the same problem when I first got on here.  I also flew MS Combat Flight Sim - Pacific, and dabbled in the Flight Sim flying Cessnas and helicopters.  I really liked it because, as you said, it was user friendly.  I actually signed up for Aces High back early in the year, April I think, but I got into the offline areas a couple of times, crashed, stalled, and basically kept putting it aside until I had time to really try and ask questions.  I actually started flying here exclusively about a month ago.

You are on your way to the RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!  Talk about getting hooked, my wife and I now talk about this like it's my personal little "addiction"...I just learned how to drive a tank in here, and I'm having a blast!

Anyway, to continue...regardless of the other input you're getting, you will need to do two major things to make the transition.  

1.  SLOW DOWN your movements.  One quick stick move will send you spiralling into the ground.  Wait for the plane to speed up.  Pull the stick back more slowly.  Roll more slowly.  Combat Flight Sim was very forgiving.  Aces High is much more realistic with torque, etc. so if you instinctively "yank" the stick (as I used to do with MS CFS), you go "flip-flop-crash!".

2.  Although you are being told to turn OFF the "stall limiter", which is under Options > Flight, my suggestion is that you turn it ON until you get used to the way these planes fly, especially if you are in Offline area.  Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to turn it off and then you won't spin to the ground every time you get high enough to try to turn.  

Seriously, I am The King of spinning myself into the ground.  Reading in here, and in the general message boards, gives a LOT of good advice...keep reading.

Final comment...the "game" part of this is GREAT!  Teams, objectives, there is a goal, a methodology (kill the town, kill the hangers and ack, get the troops landed, etc.) and there is a LOT more to do than just fly and shoot.  There are vehicles, ships, missions, and a whole lot of team-related things that are not even in the main arenas.  You have a HUGE opportunity in front of you, so don't give up!

Sincerely,
One addicted user
If I'm a "zinc" member, then I should be called "The GALVANIZER"!

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 02:23:21 AM »
Alot of folks have made great replys.

An easy check of your computer would be to jump in a plane with any of the trainers and just ride along. See if you note a difference between how your plane flies and any difference in how smooth the trainers plane flies.
We are all basically working off the computer setups. Some a lil faster than others, different sticks, etc but think about this...there is an average of 500 people up just about every night the various arenas. They aren't really have those issues.

If you drop into the Training Arena any one of us would be happy to help you sort out the problems.

Welcome to AH2!!!

Hope this helps.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 05:01:02 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Alot of folks have made great replys.

An easy check of your computer would be to jump in a plane with any of the trainers and just ride along......

Welcome to AH2!!!

Hope this helps.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! :aok

Offline Bingo73

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »
I myself have found that the X-52s software is pretty much so useless. I use it for some very basic things...adding trim up or down, check 6, etc...but for most stuff I just use the in-game stuff to set it up. Works fine and easy to adjust on the fly in game. Just my .02 though.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »
Originally posted by Bingo73
...... Just my .02 though.

....and with inflation, you .02 is worth just a spit in the bucket  :p

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »
Bang48

Give this some time and you will find a very immersive qualitive sim experience in here. I am familiar with the eye candy games you talk about. This game with all of the great attributes it posseses, will compensate for the lack of graphic beauty. You will be able to tweek your computer to adapt for playability. The trainers in here are excellent and some even have cute accents (Schatzi) lol! Bottom line, huge learning curve great pay off in the end. :aok