Author Topic: Raid on Polesti  (Read 4738 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2006, 11:22:49 AM »
Originally fabricated by krusty
Oh, FYI: The B24s weren't 30 feet off the ground
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
I'm now believe the "Ploesti Raid" was staged, just like the Apollo 13 landing.:noid
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
"One B24 dipped a bit too low and plowed through a haystack. The pilot prudently raised his altitude to 30 feet."

hate these 999000 wannabes.. hope the ack chewed them up.. stupid gamers :furious .
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2006, 11:59:50 AM »
Just a bit more from another book.  Note the mention in the caption of the cornstalks in the bomb bays again.  This is a seperate reference to it in another book.

This guy looks kinda low in the image from the raid itself

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »
Just a bit more from another book.  Note the mention in the caption of the cornstalks in the bomb bays again.  This is a seperate reference to it in another book.

This guy looks kinda low in the image from the raid itself

Never saw that pic before Cork.   I'll never question "the vets that were there".   If you DO, you may as well, piss on em.  

Ploesti took apple and those that participate had enormous ones.   "Cornstalks, etc", that is insane, and amazing. :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »
White knuckle excitement of the worst kind. I know corn stalks slapping on my jeep at 30 is loud. I'm trying to imagine what it's like in a giant popcan doing 200+.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
White knuckle excitement of the worst kind. I know corn stalks slapping on my jeep at 30 is loud. I'm trying to imagine what it's like in a giant popcan doing 200+.

I've got an 83 CJ7, whatcha got bro?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
guppy pwned krusty

Megadud

Official BBS Dumb Debate Referee

Offline VVV

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/waroftheworldsfan
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2006, 12:47:35 PM »
OK  went digging through all my books that had bits on Ploesti.

Some quotes showed up that speak specifically to height.

One of the 389th BG "Sky Scorpons" had bomb bay doors that wouldn't open.  They dropped through the doors.  They brought back corn stalks in the wreckage of the dangling bomb bay doors.  That's gotta be below 30 feet.  Not many 30 foot + corn stalks have I ever seen.

Bill Cameron of the 44th  in "Buzzin Bear"   "roared away from her bombs at 75 feet."

Jon Deihl of the "Flying Circus" was in the lead plane of his formation.  "Diehl pulled up to 250 feet to clear smoke stacks and the bombs dropped as he cleared the obstructions and made for ground level again"

And this one that really seems to cover it.

"One B24 dipped a bit too low and plowed through a haystack.  The pilot prudently raised his altitude to 30 feet."

Thank you Guppy. Nice reply buddy
Now flying as FalconAM.

~~~The Unforgiven~~~

VAW-116 "Sunkings"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
Just to add a bit more.  Forgot I had  Phillip Ardery's book "Bomber Pilot" on my shelf.

He flew Ploesti.

He talks about their training and he said they set up a practice target that was 20 feet tall and would clear it by 5 feet.  His comment was they flew so low that 'we almost got vertigo when we found ourselves flying above 500 feet."

"It was usual to see a three ship flight or a six ship squadron of big Libs scudding over the flast desert land actually four or five feet from the ground.  Of course the lowest ships of those formations were about four or five feet off the ground while the highest were not over fifteen feet."

He also comments:  "This was the type of flying every hot pilot dreamed of all his life, but it was the sort that had cost many hundreds of pilot's lives in the states.....When you go 200 mile per hour at an altitude of eight feet, you really know you are going 200 miles per hour."

Finally, he also comments how the formations 'pulled up' to clear the smoke stacks and bomb, before dropping back down to the deck.  He had two fixed 50s in the nose and was shooting them at flak gunners in the hay stacks on the way out.  Now that's low

Ardery was one of the Squadron Commanders in the 389th BG.  Not gonna argue with him on that one :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
According to my calculations when a bomber crew is under stress 20,000ft can look like 30ft. So you see, the bombers were clearly at 20,000ft. Also that picture clearly isn't of polesti. I'm right, you are all wrong!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
Ploesti raid
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2006, 06:22:44 PM »
The Ploesti raid is well known because it was an unorthodox low level raid. arguing about if it was 30-40 feet or 200 in the beginning ending at 40 or just below 1000ft is nit picking which is beside the point.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ploesti raid
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
Originally posted by VERTEX
The Ploesti raid is well known because it was an unorthodox low level raid. arguing about if it was 30-40 feet or 200 in the beginning ending at 40 or just below 1000ft is nit picking which is beside the point.

But pointing out that a "know-it-all" is wrong when he says they COULD NOT fly at 30 feet, that they were instead bombing from 3-4 thousand feet on up to 12k is not nitpicking.  

It is the correction of a liar named Krusty.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
borg collective

That is Shane's intellectual property, do you have permission to use it?

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Raid on Polesti
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »
Borg Kollective

OK, there is my version