Author Topic: CRT or LCD?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »
My current tube is dying.  I am under the impression that CRT is going away.  Which makes me not want to buy one.  When checking out LCD's on Newegg they have some specs that I dont understand.  They say 5ms or 8ms or 4ms..... what does this mean?  What else do I need to know about LCD's to make a good decision on one.  Or should I stick with CRT?

How do widescreens work with AH and other flight sims?  Seems like they can be had for around the same cost as a normal screen.

Any info/education is really appreaciated.

Thx.... Dave

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
I haven't seen a lcd stay as blur free as a crt does in close a2a .. I have had a 8ms and now a 6ms lcd.
that said, I can live with the blurring on my latest lcd, a 24" widescreen  ... DELL UltraSharp 2407WFP
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 06:19:57 AM »
Nomak,
I replaced my 21" CRT with a DELL Ultrasharp 19" 1907, it is a smidget from being the same screensize as my old 21" flatscreen CRT. IT has yet to blur on me, and  frame rate stays maxed at my monitor resloution for most part, dipping to low 50's in furballs/smoke/gv's/fires etc...

am on an old AMD2800XP/ 1 gig Ram / Ati9800Pro 128meg vid card......1024x768 512 textures.......

me Lady, she got a cheap AOC 19"  for $229.00 on newegg a year ago and it performs almost twice as good as my DELL......with the same specs......she plays WOW and EverquestII.....

I have not seen any blurring ( well not after I loaded the correct LCD monitor Drivers )

also the HEAT factor the CRT's put off vs the LCDs is great, no more sweating after sitting infront of big CRT screen all day or night.......

Good Luck with ya Purchase
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:48:43 AM »
I was a long-time fan of large CRTs vs. LCD displays, but once I made the switch, I have never looked back.

Here are some of the advantages of an LCD screen over a CRT:

1. Less desktop space (especially depth) is wasted.
2. Lower power consumption, so less heat is generated.
3. Larger display area as compared to an equivalent size CRT.
4. Unlike a CRT, the Pixels don't fade between refresh cycles, so there is less eyestrain.

To expound on number 3 above...
An LCD does not have the large dark borders around the screen display area like a CRT, so the displayed picture is usable all the way to the bezel or frame of the monitor.
Also, the methods for measuring an LCD's size are different. A 19" LCD has about the same display area as a 21" CRT.
However, a standard 19" LCD has more display area than a 19" widescreen LCD.

Here are some of the disadvantages of LCDs as compared to CRTs:

1. Generally lower contrast.
2. Somewhat lower brightness.
3. Some pixel bluring in rapid motion sequences.

All of these deficiencies can be avoided by focusing on the monitor's specification during purchase. More below.

Another thing to note is that an LCD works best at a single "Native Resolution".
A standard 19" LCD usually has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels.
 Changing the display resolution to anything other than the native resolution will still work, but it will result in a loss of display quality.
This is a physical limitation of the technology relating to the dot-pitch of the pixel cells.
Best to leave it set at the native resolution unless the game won't support it.

So what should you look for in an LCD monitor?

1. Size - Bigger is better. Minimum 19", 21" to 23" is better.
2. Pixel Refresh Rate - Lower is Better. Minimum 8ms, 4ms is better.
3. Pixel Pitch - Smaller is better. Minimum .295mm, .265mm is better.
4. Contrast - Higher is better. Minimum 500:1, 700:1 is better.
5. Brightness - Brighter is better. Minimum 300cd/m², 400cd/m² or higher is better.
6. Both Digital (DVI) and Analog (15-pin VGA) input connectors.
7. Front panel mounted controls.
8. Fully adjustable for ergonomics - Height, Tilt, Swivel, and Rotation (Landscape vs. Portrait).
9. Stick with a Brand name you recognize. NEC, Dell, Samsung, Viewsonic, etc. Quality and service are generally better.

How much should I spend?

This is relative...how much did you spend on that old CRT when you bought it?

Like anything else, you generally get what you pay for, so shop around and compare prices.
Try not to shop on the basis of price alone, and be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $250-$500 or more if you can afford it.

Good Luck!

CptA

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 05:51:22 PM »
OK LCD it is:)

Some great replys there fellas.  I really appreaciate it.

Dave

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »
ya lcd's are cheap now i bought mine from newegg for around 186.. i was getting 300+ frames out of it with no issue but i had to but the lock on it just incase lol.. now i got the limiter on so a steady 60-61fps pretty much always..
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:02:58 AM »
i didnt see anything about hsi question on what 4ms 8ms etc. means

these are the refresh rate
ms miliseconds if im not mistaken
so 4 ms for your screen to refresh
lower is better
lower you get the faster frames it can support
Since tour 75

Offline Flash

• Zinc Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 07:41:46 AM »
I just bought this one from tiger direct. it is nice but it is not cheap.

Acer AL2423WR / 24" WIDE / 6ms / 1000:1 / WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / DVI · VGA / Silver / Widescreen LCD Monitor (A179-2404)

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »
Is there any disadvantage to using a widescreen?

Dave

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »
Samseong 931BW beats the rest of of the competetion when it comes to LCD display.  Most gamers recomend Samseong displays.

SPECIFICATIONS

Screen Size:
19” Widescreen!

Resolution:
1440x900@75Hz

Brightness:
300cd/m2

Contrast ratio of 2000:1...higher than any other LCD

Ultra fast 2ms response time

NOTE:  USE DVI cable to get the the widescreen support and the best screen resolution
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:50:01 PM by 1K3 »

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 03:48:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
Is there any disadvantage to using a widescreen?

Dave

only if you want to add a picture on your background that is not in widescreen format:D

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
Well, as I pointed out above, a widescreen LCD monitor has less actual display area than an equivalent standard LCD.

So, if you buy a 19" widescreen, you'll actually get less screen area than a 19" standard screen.

Aside from that, some games do not support the native resolutions of widescreen format LCD monitors, which means that you would have to play them at some other setting, and with some loss of display quality.  

However, most recent games fully support the widescreen format.

To get the most from your hardware, make sure you download and install the latest video drivers for your video card, and the driver .inf files for your new LCD monitor from the manufacturer's website.

CptA

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »
hmmm Samseong 931bw and 941bw...

I'm still wondering why Samseong still sells 941bw if they already came out with the 931. 931 has 4x more contrast ratio and 2 ms faster response times.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
CRT or LCD?
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by CptA
Aside from that, some games do not support the native resolutions of widescreen format LCD monitors,
CptA

You mean such as AH?
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV