Author Topic: Groundloops  (Read 4892 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2006, 08:19:19 PM »
Numerous airplanes will groundloop. Your statement that it is not possible has no effect whatsoever on the game. I have groundlooped enough cartoon planes to know it is possible, and even had I not done this, I would put more faith in the guy who coaded the game  (an actual pilot with actual experience), than some guy sitting at a desk who's never even been in an airplane.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »
I've got hours, buddy.  Not in a taildragger, and not many, but I do.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:24:54 PM by Benny Moore »

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
Groundloops
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
However, it is inexcusable to claim that the simulator is correct in this regard.

:lol Inexcusable...someone needs their prozak refilled

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Groundloops
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
Bronk is saying that the wheel closest to the direction of travel catches traction (after the inital yaw) and tips the wing into the ground.

There is a tailwheel lock option in the game.  IRRC 15 degrees backpressure on the stick locks the tail wheel, and with the wheel locked it is nearly impossible to ground loop.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2006, 08:23:49 PM »
Hmm
Isn't the RV8 a taildragger?

Think I'll go with HT on this one . He has a few more hours than you. Ohh and in a taildragger.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2006, 08:25:21 PM »
Since when has Hitech claimed that the groundloops are correct?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »
Since he wrote  it that way. I feel he strives to make it the best and most accurate he can.

Or are you a luftwhiner in Ami clothing?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Groundloops
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Since he wrote  it that way. I feel he strives to make it the best and most accurate he can.

That doesn't explain things like the digital ammunition counters on all aircraft.  Everyone knows that they're wrong (both because they're digital and because they're on all aircraft).  It seems to me that Hitech does a very good job of making the best and most accurate flight models, but is not as greatly concerned about matters that do not directly pertain to flight.  Hence the ammunition counters - and hence the easy ground handling.

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
Groundloops
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »
I've got hours, buddy.  Not in a taildragger, and not many, but I do.

This doesn't count:

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Groundloops
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2006, 08:43:36 PM »
Man this got ugly and stupid in a hurry. Signing off.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Groundloops
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
Benny who am I going to believe.

A. The guy who makes his living in Flight  sim/game world .
Or

B. BBS crank who's constantly whining about everything. But backs it up with nothing.

Think I'll go with A .

Cya troll.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Groundloops
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2006, 08:44:52 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
There is a tailwheel lock option in the game.  IRRC 15 degrees backpressure on the stick locks the tail wheel, and with the wheel locked it is nearly impossible to ground loop.

Probably explains why shortly after posting I went to see if the F4u still ground looped and could not get it to!

Habit causes me to have back pressure on thr stick when I open a throttle! - I don't even think about it. Having tried both directions using Rudder to encourage it, all I did was break off the outer wing sections.
Then for a laugh I took it up flew it on rudder and elevator and brought it back down on the main runway (well I ran off to one side and taxied back on!)  without breaking any more of it! - Filmed it to as I was expecting a ground loop and had the camera on. Climb rate is very poor and turns are very wide. I think I popped in a notch of flap to help get up. Left the undercart down as I didn't want to upset it!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Groundloops
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Man this got ugly and stupid in a hurry. Signing off.

I dont know, its kinda fun and enertaining in its own way,  I'm waiting for Benny to implode..:lol

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Groundloops
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »
metatron!
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Groundloops
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »
Let me put this in as clear wording as possible.  If the simulator were correct in its groundloop modelling, the following scenario would be possible.  You are travelling down the runway at a fairly slow speed, and you allow your nose to swing several degrees to the left.  You compensate with rudder, but it is too late; in spite of your holding full right rudder, the nose continues to swing left until the aircraft has completed a one hundred and eight degree turn, and is now travelling slowly backwards for a few seconds.  The wingtip fortunately has not impacted the ground.  The wheel struts are plenty stressed, however.

As it is, that scenario is only possible in the simulator with an F-4U Corsair.  However, all taildragger aircraft should have this problem to some degree.  I understand if people are reluctant to see resources allocated to the modelling of an issue which they think is inconsequential.  However, it is inexcusable to claim that the simulator is correct in this regard.

Words are very clear to me, you need help.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC