Author Topic: Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2006, 11:56:34 PM »
You could look at the profiles of the Forbes 400 list for the US, starting from the top. Almost all started from a family business (inherited), were investment bankers or Microsoft (thieves ;) ), struck oil or dotcom (lucky). You won't find too many rags to riches stories, neubob.

Offline ByeBye

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2006, 01:47:12 AM »
Rule 5
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:25:22 AM by MP7 »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2006, 02:25:10 AM »
Originally posted by ByeBye
Are you aware of the amount of money Bill Gates has given to chartity?
Yeah but it's still proportionally less than most of us give.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2006, 08:15:51 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
You fell for the carnival scam of lotteries that would infuse your state budget with hundreds of millions of dollars 'free' money for education and reduce your property taxes. Uh huh. How's that working out?

Yeah, that's what we got promised, "all the money will go to schools", so much for that, just another cash cow.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2006, 08:16:16 AM »
It's remarkable that I can be described as a 'leftie' for suggesting that people on lower and middle incomes should be cut a break on taxes. A 'leftie' who suggests and supports tax cuts? Just how distorted a view of the world can you have to think that?

Since when is a tax cut for a lower paid person some kind of communist plot?  As Rolex says most middle income families are three months away from homelessness if something happens to their jobs. These people are the bedrock of the community. They are the wealth producers who make  the wealthy rich. Without them the rich wouldn't have a customer to sell to. The key to any economy is to have a strong and comfortable middle class with money to spend. That keeps the Paris Hilton's of this world in champagne and diamonds.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
It's remarkable that I can be described as a 'leftie' for suggesting that people on lower and middle incomes should be cut a break on taxes. A 'leftie' who suggests and supports tax cuts? Just how distorted a view of the world can you have to think that?

Since when is a tax cut for a lower paid person some kind of communist plot?  As Rolex says most middle income families are three months away from homelessness if something happens to their jobs. These people are the bedrock of the community. They are the wealth producers who make  the wealthy rich. Without them the rich wouldn't have a customer to sell to. The key to any economy is to have a strong and comfortable middle class with money to spend. That keeps the Paris Hilton's of this world in champagne and diamonds.

Class envy is inherently wrong and is not the basis of how our tax laws should work---forcing 'rich' to pay a higher percentage of their income to the twits in D.C. doesn't make YOUR life any better, and what is often classified as 'rich' would certainly surprise many of THEM--small business owners would usually fall into the 'rich' category. So many folks think anyone has has a few dollars more than them is 'rich', and needs to be beat back somehow. Donald Trump is a salamander to be sure, but passing a law to confiscate more of his money doesn't help ME any--(mebbe tax his mousse he uses on his hair), and is an unproductive course of action--As I said before, does this ring a bell: "From each, according to his means, TO each, according to his needs"
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
Originally posted by bj229r
Class envy is inherently wrong and is not the basis of how our tax laws should work---forcing 'rich' to pay a higher percentage of their income to the twits in D.C. doesn't make YOUR life any better, and what is often classified as 'rich' would certainly surprise many of THEM--small business owners would usually fall into the 'rich' category. So many folks think anyone has has a few dollars more than them is 'rich', and needs to be beat back somehow. Donald Trump is a salamander to be sure, but passing a law to confiscate more of his money doesn't help ME any--(mebbe tax his mousse he uses on his hair), and is an unproductive course of action--As I said before, does this ring a bell: "From each, according to his means, TO each, according to his needs"

Nor does it promote free enterprise in this land of opportunity, which is why we're one of the wealtiest nations on earth.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »
cpxx... relax.. rolex is being a drama queen and can't really point to the middle class family that both lost their job and became homeless... out of 300 million people I bet he can't find a one.

He is also wrong about how wealth is created and we are creating more new rich than in any time in history.   There is more chance for a lower or middle class person to become rich than any other time.    People with little or no education are becoming rich before they are 40

He is correct however that we get nothing but rules and big government for our taxes.  

I have nothing against cutting taxes for the middle class... the poor here pay no income tax.   I also think that the people who create jobs need a tax break.    The poor don't create jobs.

Even jesus said that the poor will allways be with us..  many are insane or addicted or have low expectations and desires.

Ghandi... do we really want him to run an economy?   and.. speaking of ghandi.. he also once said that of all the things the british did to his people, that the very worst was that they disarmed em.

lazs

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
You could look at the profiles of the Forbes 400 list for the US, starting from the top. Almost all started from a family business (inherited), were investment bankers or Microsoft (thieves ;) ), struck oil or dotcom (lucky). You won't find too many rags to riches stories, neubob.

400 out of a population of how many millions of Americans that are documented millionaires, or tens of thousands that are multi-millionaires? I'll take the liberty of making that question rhetorical, by citing this.

Your definition of thief seems convenient to your version of the truth. Unless he's in jail, under indictment, or at the very least under investigation, I'm not buying it. Crooks are determined by law, not by Rolex's definition of fiscal morality. Wanna see a crook(by your own estimation), consult your local plumber or auto-mechanic.

As far as luck, that's just a load of BS, again tailored to your version of reality. I've heard that word thrown around a lot. More often than not, it's just another euphemism for 'he did it, and I didn't'. The only substantive luck in this world is being born with more brains than the next guy. Without that, no amount of luck or inheritence will place or keep you on that list.

If you wanna complain about that, of course, go right ahead
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:37:48 AM by Neubob »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »
Good someone called shenanigans on Rolex's Bull****.  I would have been very rude about it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ByeBye

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2006, 11:18:36 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Good someone called shenanigans on Rolex's Bull****.  I would have been very rude about it.

I wasn't rude, yet was moderated for trying last night :rolleyes:

I guess it's not cool to turn his own arguments against him while making comparisons to Japan.

Must be nice to take shots at America from Japan. Japan has it pretty nice, sitting in the safetey provided by massive US defense spending ( paid for by US taxes) while Japan is not burdoned with maintaining much of a military.

In Japan, I wonder how perfect the tax system is. How perfect are the roads? How has the "employment for life" been working out? Seems the economy is hyper-regulated by a bunch of beurocrats. The economy is only just now comming out of a long recession.

I have read that in Japan, a foriegner cannot get health care without providinh payment up front, or having concrete proof that they are able to pay. The US, on the other hand, spends billions of dollars on the healthcare for illegal aliens.

And our roads are some of the most extensive and best in the world. Outside of major cities, how perfect are the roads in Japan?

I have not read about how many Japanese millionairs have inherited their wealth, but Im sure that its very few....if any at all. In America, apparenty nobody can start a business and makes lots of money withought being labeled a crook.

storch

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
what makes America great is our free enterprise system.  if you have the grit and determination you can make all the money you are capable of in any number of mundane businesses.  there is nothing to hinder you except yourself.  if you become involved in business then the current tax system favors you in many ways.  the people who choose to work for a paycheck will never be able to take full advantge of what America has to offer.  ask anyone who has done both.  I have and you can believe that even with all the risk and liability involved it's far better to work for yourself than it is to work for another man.

keep this in mind it is much better to make 1% from the efforts of other men than it is to make 100% from your effort.

there is no way I will ever work for anyone else again.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
Originally posted by storch
there is no way I will ever work for anyone else again.

Be careful you don't become too successful, lest you wind up in the cross hairs of the Entitlement Police.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
A black hole just formed in my soul.

How .. umm ... er .. Thrawnic -evil grin-

Thrawnical?

Thrawnilistic?

Thrawnilogicalistic?

-GE (I better stop!)
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE