Author Topic: What is the best controller  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
What is the best controller
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Dont let anyone lead you astray if you have the duckets CH PRODUCTS are the only choice they will be the last best control set you ever have to buy.

Key words in red there. I've never owned CH products, but I have ALWAYS heard they are THE top of the line. However, I've never been able to afford one. I've owned Saitek, Thrustmaster (although never a Cougar), Logitech (which are the worst POS out there) and Microsoft sticks. Of those the only brand I've ever bought more than once was Microsoft. So, unless you can justify to yourself spending $500 on stick, throttle and pedals, I would recommend Microsoft. Either Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 or Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. The kicker is Microsoft doesn't either stick anymore so you'll have to get from Ebay,amazon, etc.etc.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:09:56 PM by Dace »

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
The Best Hands Down
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
CH products sticks.

"fighterstick pro" is not better than the fighterstick usb, it is actually a scaled back version.

if you do get a stick there, also, there are no twisty sticks, so you will need the pro pedals. and also a throttle...

total direct from them: $449.85 retail

but you can get each piece for $89.99 each X3 = $270.00 total @ most online discount stores.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html

The proper setup is:
1. Ch fighterstick USB
2. Ch Pro Throttle
3. Ch Pro Predals

The Ch mapping software is capable of programming almost all AHII functions to the controllers so that you never have to touch the keyboard during game play. All settings are made through the Ch software NOT  AHII settings. It's cool!

I have the maps that do this.   Contact me if you want them.

I have 4 broken Saitek X45s and 2 broken X52s in a box in my garage.

:) Am happy now:)
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
CH

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »
CH is far and away the best.  My X-52 felt like a POS once the CH gear arived.  Not trying to offend anyone, just being honest.

Dave

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
CH is the best anywhere... My current rig is an analog rig... It has lasted me over 11 years now... Throttle, stick and rudder pedals... no other company builds them to last like that.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: What is the best controller
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »
Originally posted by LtTalon
I have been given the perfect gift (for me). I was told to pick out the most ideal controller I would like to have and it would be purchased for me. I am not comfortable with purchasing a controller over the Internet. I don't want to buy something only to find that it fails me at a critical moment. Most of you know I need all the help I can get. So I am asking you for advice. Help me make this a great decision?

Thanks
LtTalon

Why are you not comfortable buying something over the internet?  I buy 100K worth of equipment for my company annually over the internet.  It's probably safer than buying it in the store.  Case in point: I bought an X52 from the local WorstBuy and it was already opened and broken. They tried to sell it to me as new. At least they didn't give me a hard time when I brought it back, but of course they didn't have another one. I got my money back and got an X52 from Newegg (which I highly recommend) with the warranty, free shipping, all for less than retail at WorstBuy.  Most brick and mortar retailers don't stock the high quality stuff, just the $30 crapsticks.

That being said, if money is no object get CH, otherwise get Saitek.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by Dace
or MSSFFB2

I have one here, takin up space in my drawer.  I loved that stick but it was too spiky on my new PC... Probably can't handle the high clock speeds.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
Microsoft Sidewinder.

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 09:07:27 PM »
I do hear the CH stick is the best but if you're looking for the best bang for the buck it's probably the Saitek.  On their website the X-52 (with throttle quadrant) is $130, the Pedals are $150 for a total of $280.  I'm sure you can get them for less with online or box store discounts.  It's an excellent setup even if it's not up to CH standards.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:48 PM »
My MS sidewinder was a good stick & I used it for a year in AHII, went X-52 for three or four months before it crapped out. I would go with a CH or if you like twisty sticks an X-52, if you like add ons & tinkering & want to make a stick as perfect as one can get go with a thrustmaster Cougar with the hall effect sensors & a cool new gimble, pricey but B.A. from what I've heard from people who own them.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
TM Cougar with IJ's Uber-2NXT mod and hall sensors...best stick you can get for $1,000.00:O

Offline Dr1337

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
Ok, i don't wanna offend anyone here, but if you have the money, GET THE FULL CH SETUP. Don't waste your time with anything else! CH stuff is the best and will last forever. Its solid and doesn't feel cheesy like most other sticks. I've tried alot of sticks over the years and I always come back to CH.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Another vote here for CH Products.  I have CH stick and pedals and love them.  Been using CH Products sticks for about 15 years.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 01:23:45 AM »
for xmas I got CH stick and pedals and I can safely they feel like they are built to last.

Used Saitek for the past 4 years or so and the sticks last for about 2 or so years before falling apart which isnt bad for the price difference.

I think not having the twisty option and using pedals must make a difference in durability.  Usually the first thing to start "spiking" is the twist rudder.  

If you accept the fact that your an addict and you will be here for life like many others including myself get CH.  

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Have

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 02:37:42 AM »
I'll vote for Thrustmaster Cougar + CH Pedals :)
Oh, and don't forget the TrackIR! I thought it was almost like cheating or somekind of magic when using it for the first time. It's really really great :cool: