Author Topic: What is the best controller  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
What is the best controller
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
CH again!

Six months ago I replaced my CH Gameport gear with CH USB Gear.

I only did it because to program the old gameport gear I had to do it in Windows98 on my old dual boot PC. New PC is XP only.

The Gameport gear was never a problem and still working perfectly after too many years to remember! - Spares (if you ever need them) are available to (I never needed any!). I think bangs per buck you cann't beat it because it seems to last forever! - I tried other kit before I went CH and none of it lasted.
The USB stuff is the same mechanics but with updated electronics and "traffic lights" to show which mode you are in if you go to that extreme.

Software is really good so you can use it in all sorts of games with different profiles for each as needed. You even have 3 modes available so that each switch can have three different functions! - Too much for me to remember so I still only use it in one mode!

Fighter Stick and Combat stick are very similar the only difference is that the fighter stick has some 4 way switches where a single button might be on the combat stick. Otherwise same size and feel - So go fighter stick for more options!

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
Anyone here use CH Combatstick?

My gameport stick was the Combat and my USB gear is the Fighterstick.

As you have noted it is only the number of switches that are different. But in Flight Sims we do use a lot so I would say go that one step further if you can . - You will not regret it!

I use mine with the Pro-throttle and Pro Pedals and I could still manage a few more buttons! - I will not set them in three mode configuration as that is just too much to remember!

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »
I have one here, takin up space in my drawer. I loved that stick but it was too spiky on my new PC... Probably can't handle the high clock speeds.

That was the best feeling joystick I have ever had . Too bad it doesn't work with this pc and WinXP Pro sp2 , I tried everything too :( sad .

I use now all CH products .

YES I USE THE COMBAT stick , hehe , I like the one button thumb on that stick . Sure we all could use more buttons or hats :)

Buy them online , it's a "no brainer" IMO

Here's my setup
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
X-45. I dont like the X-52 because its too lose... For me, I have always found tight is good. It gives me a feeling of true control, and even resistance on the controler. And yes, GET PEDALS!!! I wish I could afford them. They will make your game (or so I hear).

I have also stuck with the X45 for the same reason - X52 feels too "loose".  I know CH is supposed to be the best, but I had a pair of CH Pro pedals that I had to send back for repair about every 6 months.  Got tired of doing that and trying to use the "rocker" rudder on the X45 while I was waiting for the pedals to return, so I got a pair of the Saitek Pedals that came out recently.  I love the wider spacing (about 8" wider) between the feet, and the adjustable tension.  Now I have a complete Saitek set-up and really like it.

It's funny how people's experiences differ.  Most of the people on here talk about CH being the Holy Grail of FLight sim gear - yet I had nothing but problems with my pedals.  Many badmouth Saitek - yet mine has performed almost flawlessly (just wish my game performance matched  . . .)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
My first set of CH peds (& 2nd actually) sucked monkey balls as well. I had to send them back twice for new sets. My problem with them was when the pedal was fully depressed on the left side it would fail. The rudder would just begin to shudder & fall back to center even with the pedal still fully depressed. Third time was a charm though & CH did make it right without too much fuss & customer service after the purchase is a major factor for me.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
CH Peds Gamport/USB converter and x52 throttle and JS.   X52 did seem  loose, but i'm use to it now.     I've only had the x52 for about  6 weeks, but haven't changed calibration since I set it up and I just use AH setup to map the stick and throttle.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline pick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »
I've heard the same good stuff about CH but didn't want to spend that much on a stick (just got back into online flightsims 7 months ago).

I opted for the X52 Saitek.

I don't like twisty stick rudders so I turned that function off.

I mapped the rudders to the X52 throttle instead and moved the throttle control to the small slider on the throttle control.

I'm sure it's not as nice as dedicated rudder pedals but it seems to work fine for me.

Has anyone mapped the X52 this way??

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »
Originally posted by pick
I've heard the same good stuff about CH but didn't want to spend that much on a stick (just got back into online flightsims 7 months ago).

I opted for the X52 Saitek.

I don't like twisty stick rudders so I turned that function off.

I mapped the rudders to the X52 throttle instead and moved the throttle control to the small slider on the throttle control.

I'm sure it's not as nice as dedicated rudder pedals but it seems to work fine for me.

Has anyone mapped the X52 this way??

Not me. Sounds kinda non-intuitive.  Glad it works for ya though. I think I'm going to eventually get pedals.  My twist on the 52 is squeaky, drives me crazy.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Definently the Saitek X52, the Pro Flight Rudder Pedals also from Saitek wouldnt hurt. Upgraded from a Saitek Cyborg back in December to my X52 and the Pro Flight Rudder Peds and it was the best investment i ever made.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
Originally posted by Rash
CH Peds Gamport/USB converter and x52 throttle and JS.   X52 did seem  loose, but i'm use to it now.     I've only had the x52 for about  6 weeks, but haven't changed calibration since I set it up and I just use AH setup to map the stick and throttle.

i can send you my Saitek X52 Config file if you wanna give that a try, Ive found that the Saitek Software is alot easier to program the stick to fit your needs. Ive got almost all of the Essential Functions on my Stick and Throttle.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
A lot of you seem to have problems with the twist on the X52, There is a LOCK on the twist so that the pedal doesnt twist and you can use pedals instead, its located at the base of the stick where it twists its a little grey slider that says R LOCK push that in and it locks the twist function, Helps alot IMO when you got pedals.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
Or you can just unmap the axis.  Thanks for the tips outbreak.