Author Topic: What is the best controller  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Sindon

• Copper Member
What is the best controller
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 02:41:11 AM »
Originally posted by Nomak
CH is far and away the best.  My X-52 felt like a POS once the CH gear arived.  Not trying to offend anyone, just being honest.

Dave

Absolutely right.  If you are serious about this game, get CH.  Went from the X52 to CH and there is a marked improvement in both quality and performance.

Still using the X52 throttle, works well with the CH stick.
:aok

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 03:06:24 AM »
CH is, by far, the best choice.  The quality is tops, and the precise movements that you can get out of the CH products impressed me.

I was a long time user of MSFF2 twisty and when my last one died, after a few disappointments trying to get one via e-bay, I finally knew that I had to finally make the jump to the CH family.  I wasn't looking forward to the learning curve setting me back.  But, I have to admit, the CH stuff has made the game more fun for me lately.  

Don't be afraid to make the jump.........

btw......CH stuff ain't cheap, but the best prices that I have found for CH products was at

http://www.provantage.com

Give it a go, you'll be glad you went CH!

Rob53
The Flying Circus
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:53 AM »
My Logitc has had a stroke and was left partly disabled. 3 buttons and 3 directions of the POV hat are not working and the rudder is not responding well in the right direction. I tried to fly with it the last few days, but it is too annoying.
Not that it was that great before that.

NEVER BUY LOGITEC

I'm considering CH Combatstick. Cheaper than fighterstick and has more than enough buttons for me. Is it not twisty? I remember they say it has 3 axis.

I still use views on the keyboard (too old a dog to learn new tricks) and I used to map rudder to the keys as well when I had my very very old analog CH flightstick. Peddals are too expensive so I might go back to keyboard if it has no twist rudder (or use one of the hats).

Anyone here use CH Combatstick?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by bozon

I'm considering CH Combatstick. Cheaper than fighterstick and has more than enough buttons for me. Is it not twisty? I remember they say it has 3 axis.

The third axis is a throttle (on the left side of the stick)  you can remap as a rudder but it will feel very unnatural.

You can build your own pedal for less than 20$, or get the saitek at about 80 €

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »
X-45. I dont like the X-52 because its too lose... For me, I have always found tight is good. It gives me a feeling of true control, and even resistance on the controler. And yes, GET PEDALS!!! I wish I could afford them. They will make your game (or so I hear).

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »
C H 'nuff said...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 04:21:58 AM »
I got a X45 here (X52 is too "loose" for my tastes and I cant afford a full CH atm) and CH pedals - in the long run the rocker rudder of the X45 has a too imprecise input control due to its short range of motion.

Im very happy with my current setup and plan to replace it one by one with CH stuff (as i can afford it/as the Saitek goes out).

As for buying off the internet: Its just as safe as buying from the shop. I got both my Saitek and the Peds online.... you have warranties, you have service. And I dont know how it is in US, but here in Germany the things you get in the shop are rather limited in choice. X52 and lots of really cheap Logitech stuff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:24:36 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 05:22:30 AM »
I have an X52 set up and the general feel is just perfect for me (I found the X45 too stiff).

I use CH USB pedals

I have a CH fighter stick somewhere but could not come to terms with the js action as it did not rotate freely (the axis are not truely concentric).

However there is no doubt that the CH product is better engineered than the Saitek and will last many years. Saitek use the same POV micro switches in the X52 as used in the X45 and these will fail over time.

Where the Saitek wins IMO is the "feel/comfort" of the stick and the sheer number of  functions you can program into it.

Having said that you should not be fooled by the X52s apparant wide range of deflection from extremes of pitch to pitch or roll to roll. 30% of this range is not used. So if you seem to have 50 degrees of deflection from nuetral to full pitch you actually only have 35 degrees of usefull in game deflection.............. the range does not extend upto the stops!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 06:45:30 AM »
bozon I couldnt see any/much difference between the combat stick or fighterstick.  Combat one still has more than enough buttons for AH and is slightly cheaper.

your correct in saying it isnt a twist stick thats why most have pedals.  

What tilt describes as the axis not moving freely is that one part of the stick goes up down whilst another component goes left right.   A normal stick would be a circular action.  However I find this better as you have more crisper control of the plane.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 07:23:02 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
The third axis is a throttle (on the left side of the stick)  you can remap as a rudder but it will feel very unnatural.

You can build your own pedal for less than 20$, or get the saitek at about 80 €

I wonder if I can setup the fragged logitc stick as a rudder (using its roll axis) while using a new stick for the rest. If AH can work with 2 USB sticks, I may still make some use of the old logitec. Worth some testing.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »
AH work fine with multiple controller so it's possible.

With a stick in each hand you will look like an aviation pioneer :)
(I need to check but I think the early Voisin had 2 control column)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »
You could modify it so it's on the floor with a "T" handle on the top & work the twisty with the your feet on the improvised "T" like a set of peds. It will work with both sticks since the program is only seeing devices. It's not looking under your desk & shaking it's E-head mumbling to itself...."this guy crazy...he really crazy; you see what that fool got goin on under there?" :D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
CH joysticks are probably the best in regards to precision & durability. But when it comes to pedals, they pale in comparison to Simpeds. Much more durable (no pots to wear out), wider spacing between the individual pedals. And more expensive, though...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
CH joysticks are probably the best in regards to precision & durability. But when it comes to pedals, they pale in comparison to Simpeds. Much more durable (no pots to wear out), wider spacing between the individual pedals. And more expensive, though...

I have (had) a set of the original simpeds, they worked great for a few years then they went tits up (due to an engineering failure that was reportedly rectified on future designs). Support for them is totally non-existent, the guy who makes them is in Germany I beleive and his website contacts and all emails are blackholes if you are asking for help or even offering to pay for spare parts. I would never buy from him again and have been telling folks here and other flight-sim forums to stay away. Apparently if you speak German things are better, so YMMV.

The best stick I ever had was the F22, mine lasted about 8 years with very heavy use. I finally broke a spring and found that since they were purchased by some French company they no longer offer support or spare parts...sigh...seems to be a pattern of poor customer service from companies in the EU, at least by American standards it is poor service. We are generally used to being able to purchase parts or even have phone calls and emails returned.

Most of what you are reading here in this thread boils down to nothing more than opinion which is slanted heavily by personal preference. For example I have never liked the feel of the plastic or the weight of the handle and springs on the CH gear. But many others think that the metal handle and stiff springs of the TM gear suck...so again...YMMV. I'd suggest going to a con and checking out other folks stuff before you invest.

EDIT: Oh, and if progamability is a plus then the Cougar is definitely the best option for you, someone counted over 2,000 programmable options that can be scripted and downloaded in one config. Windows sees it as a 6-axis 28-button joystick, but some of the buttons are 3-way modifiers that can change the way all the other buttons work depending on their position. Only need for a keyboard in AH is using the radio channels.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:23:30 AM by Edbert »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »
another one for CH gear (full CH HOTAS)
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54