Author Topic: CV group vessels  (Read 576 times)

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
CV group vessels
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
Hello all-tried the search function but didn't come up with anything.  I've been trying out some of the guns on the CV group.  Anyone know the ranges on these, such as the 5", the quad 40mm and the 20mm.  How far out should I start opening up on the incoming planes?
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
CV group vessels
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »
the 5" has a proximity fuse.  If it gets near a plane the round will explode.  Its possible to hit and kill with that beyond icon range.  I dont have any solid documentation on the other two guns but from experience the quad can kill a plane out as far as 3.5k, and the 20mms out to 2.5K.  In both cases it is hard to lead the shot and hit a plane from that far out.  But in a field or ship gun, you have a large amount of ammo to work with, so there is no harm in trying.  Most important part is learning how much lead to use with any of the guns.

You can practice this offline if you like.  I do not remember if the lead computing site is enabled by defult for offline use, so just in case, this is how you turn it on:
Clipboard>options>arena setup>enviroment>arena settings>
Double click on flight mode flags, and there will be a checkbox for enable lead computing site.

To use it, you look at the enemy target, and press the tab key.  A box will appear around the target icon, and a green + will show the aiming point you need to use.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
CV group vessels
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
Is there a way to make a sharp  turn with the cv instead of it turing wide?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
CV group vessels
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:20:54 AM »
Originally posted by RAIDER14
Is there a way to make a sharp  turn with the cv instead of it turing wide?

You can only "steer" the CVs by setting its waypoints. Its turning radius is always the same.

And if you think about "maneuverable" a CV is IRL... they have several nautic miles braking distance.....
21 is only half the truth.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
CV group vessels
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »
I was stationed on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower CVN69 for almost 3 years. As a plank owner ( was on board from before she was commissioned) I went through all of her trials befroe the Navy accepted her as complete. The tightest we could get her to turn was just a bit over a mile, and braking was about the same. The turning was....lets say interesting  :) Picture that scene in the "Pearl Harbor" movie where they show the battleship just about to capsize. The one where the sailors are hanging from the rails and sliding across the deck. Thats about how it was  :eek:

So I think they got it pretty close in the game :)

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
CV group vessels
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
You can only "steer" the CVs by setting its waypoints. Its turning radius is always the same.

And if you think about "maneuverable" a CV is IRL... they have several nautic miles braking distance.....

wish they could do this

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
CV group vessels
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
LOL RAIDER, i wish too. id be fun if you turned it when a mission takin off
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
CV group vessels
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »
ya picture that for about a full mile  :)  interesting  :D

oh and hope your not eating in the gally at the time :lol

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
CV group vessels
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:43:32 AM »
Hey Fugitive, My father served on the USS Coral Sea, CVA-43 in 68-69'.  He told me a story that his captain was the 1st to put a carrier in full reverse.  From what I recall, it had something to do about washing out a hanger deck.  

Then again, he also told me he saw a mermaid once too!:D   Could be another sea tale?

Obie:aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
CV group vessels
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »
Originally posted by RAIDER14
wish they could do this

Looks like manuvers during sea acceptance trials.  Seriously doubt you'd ever see that during anything other than combat operations....and then only when everybloodything else has gone seriously wrong.

With flight and hangar decks full of equipment, planes, and crew..... you'd create some serious carnage and destruction pulling a manuver like that without some prep time to lock everything down.  Not something you could do during air operations.

These are WWII Essex class carriers in-game, IIRC.  Modeled failry close, within limits of game-code.  And considerign how many planes I see hit the drink attempting to take off the CV's now in a turn, any tighter would just be a way for players to grief fellow players trying to launch.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
CV group vessels
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »
i wish we could have trials for a freakin Nimitz class, lol, or for our Essex class
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com