Author Topic: Feathering Props  (Read 326 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Feathering Props
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »
After a query elsewhere related to this, it seems that some clarification may be welcome.

I have been trying out a few aircraft and the following seems to apply

Multi-engine aircraft - If you shut down an engine the prop auto feathers to 0 RPM once the blades have stopped spinning (i.e. there is a few seconds for the prop to stop first) The graphics do not show a feathered condition but the drag modelled seems to reflect a feathered prop and the RPM neddle does go to zero.

Single engine Aircraft - RPM settings are unchanged if you shut the engine down. You can however then manually set the RPM to a minimum that is with a drag similar to a feathered prop. However as 0 RPM does not seem to be available the prop "windmills"

On damaged engines, shot up or siezed up they all  seem to stop with the prop not moving (either multi or single engine types) and then have the drag of a feathered prop.

On a single engine aircraft (with damaged engine) it seems you can not set the prop back to a high RPM setting with the added drag that is handy on glide landings (when you want to increase rate of descent). The higher RPM setting is only available if the engine has been stopped manually (undamaged).

I am not sure what happens in running out of fuel situations. - But I think the "undamaged" engine controls may be available on a single engine aircraft. I have no idea if the engines on a multi engine type auto feather or not in this situation. Perhaps some-one could advise ?

One thing that is clear to me is that a multi-engine throttle quadrant would be handy in any situation where independant engine control is required. Trying to manipulte multi engine throttles when independant selection is made is a nightmare using one throttle control! - CH do something for such fans (excuse the pun)!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:48:36 AM by Blagard »

Offline CpMorgan

• Zinc Member
CH throttle quadrant
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
Blagard,
Check on the CH websight. There is a throttle quadrant setup for multi-engine simulation. Here is the website:

http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html