Author Topic: Tactics Question: F4U-1A with Spit XVI 400 back  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Tactics Question: F4U-1A with Spit XVI 400 back
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
Slapshot just listed my number one manouver 'try something, it might just work' :D

Or mine:  Close eyes, shake the joystick and squeeze trigger.... you might hit something as he might have overshot you.  :D
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 12:34:48 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
What you say is true from a taking damage standpoint (Spits are vunerable when taking hits) but I've never had the wings rip off a Spit in high-g manouvers and I've flow plenty of them past the edge of the flight envelope.

In dives I often find that as the airframe starts to groan and creak I have to literally force the nose down to manitain my dive or the Spit will want to climb itself out of that state.  I also sometimes add a little rudder or move into a slight nose-low turn to get it to "slip" and maintain my E at that crtical point.  The only consideration during a break manouver under those conditions is an extended blackout.

I guarantee, if you pull a high G turn( yo/reversal) while pulling up on stick in an 8 or 16, your wing will rip off. It does not happen with other spits because of the
eliptical edges. If you want, we can link up, you fly the 8 or 16, I guarantee that I'll get you to rip your wing off :)
                                                                        Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 02:45:05 PM »
Originally posted by ozrocker
I guarantee, if you pull a high G turn( yo/reversal) while pulling up on stick in an 8 or 16, your wing will rip off. It does not happen with other spits because of the
eliptical edges. If you want, we can link up, you fly the 8 or 16, I guarantee that I'll get you to rip your wing off :)
                                                                        Oz

You have no idea .

The Mk VIII has the same basic wing shape as the "other spits"

Except for the clip the Mk XVI has the same shape also.

The only spit that sheds wings easy is the Mk XIV.
Only because it over-speeds that much easier in a dive.

At the speeds sim was talking about in his original post.

My F4U-1A had bagged 3, and was moving generally north at 1K and 250 mph or so.

There is no way in hell the spit was going to shed wings. I don't care what type it was.

Bronk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:47:38 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
Originally posted by ozrocker
                                                                        Oz

Wrong.  I've flown Spits as my primary ride for over 10 years in various sims.  In Air Warriors you would have been right.  Spits would rip wings in high speed dives.  Not so in Aces High.  

I've got literally thousands of hours in Spit V, VIII, IX, XVI and Seafire (very little time in I and XIV) and none of them will rip wings.  You'll blackout first.

One of the great things about Spits is that they maintain so much energy in high G manouvers.  You can ride the tunnel longer than in any other aircarft I've flown and, as I mentioned in my previous post they are still responsive and stucturally sound well past the point of airframe stress.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
If you're ripping wings in any airplane, at any speed, your joystick settings are probably messed up.  Barring that, your trim is wacky.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Wrong.  I've flown Spits as my primary ride for over 10 years in various sims.  In Air Warriors you would have been right.  Spits would rip wings in high speed dives.  Not so in Aces High.  

I've got literally thousands of hours in Spit V, VIII, IX, XVI and Seafire (very little time in I and XIV) and none of them will rip wings.  You'll blackout first.

One of the great things about Spits is that they maintain so much energy in high G manouvers.  You can ride the tunnel longer than in any other aircarft I've flown and, as I mentioned in my previous post they are still responsive and stucturally sound well past the point of airframe stress.

I have and can rip the wings off the MK XIV.

It was my fault  and not the AC's though.

Bronk

Edit: Was done in high speed dive and no I didn't black out.

Also stick settings had nada to do with it.

I was over zealous with elevator input.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:25:38 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 03:48:37 PM »
i can rip the wings off any spit except maybe the mk1 with enough speed and full elevator deflections.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
i can rip the wings off any spit except maybe the mk1 with enough speed and full elevator deflections.

Ohh I agree bat , but Ozrocker makes it sound like they fall off at combat speeds.

Bronk

Edit:
I point out the Mk XIV because it's the easiest to let get away from you.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:01:47 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
If you're ripping wings in any airplane, at any speed, your joystick settings are probably messed up.  Barring that, your trim is wacky.

I can guarantee that if you pull hard out of a high speed dive with a F6F that you'll snap off half of each or at least 1 wing, at least with the rocket rails full.  I know because it's my favorite attack plane and it's happened to me all too often.

Bronk, like I said, I haven't spent much time in a Spit XIV so you may be correct and no, you wouldn't black out in a straight dive but I thought we were talking about high G manouvers.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Tactics Question: F4U-1A with Spit XVI 400 back
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

I dove to the deck and tried to outlast him, which was the wrong decision. He landed a few sprayed pings, The distance stayed at 400 as my slower acceleration and need to jink at least gently kept my from outpacing him, over a max 2-3 minute chase.

Any other thoughts from the gurus?

You said you dove.....once you get into the 350-400 mph range you have the spit where you want him.  I don't know if you achieved this speed but at those speeds a spit CANNOT turn with an F4U.  First leave yourself a few meters above the deck to nose dwn the flat turn.  YOu have to make this manuver very high G.  As you come out of blackout you should already be oppisite barrelling him.  Find out where he is, if he followed you then flap and spiral climb staying out of his bullets.  He will end up oin front of your guns.  If he doesnt go with you make your barrel real tight and come in behind him.  Either way Dead Spit!  I would prefer the spit to be 600 out when this manuver is started as 400 is asking to be fodder.  But in anycase, when you have a spit on your 6 in a hog, dive fro speed once you reach the 350-400 mph range this manuver works everytime.  I will try to get some film of this as I have about 50 or so of this exact situation with me in a 1-hog!  Manuverability at those speeds goes to the hog everytime!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"