Author Topic: Dog fights on the History channel  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
Dog fights on the History channel
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »
I think we should make the Old 666 skin and let 999000 fly around with it.  That would be the prefect fit for him. :D :aok

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
Right now they are focusing on US vs Japan in the WW2 era, and as it is they have only scratched the surface of matchups there. I think the show should be successful, even after they run out of US match ups, then they can move to british, german, russian, etc...

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
80% of the attack runs on that episode were HOs, but it still wasn't a valid tactic, right?:aok   Tell that to that SBD pilot who is alive today because he was a "skilless dweeb":lol

:cry

Offline RupturedDuck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
yah yah, Ack Ack

Love the Dogfights.  It's my daughter's; who's turning 4 next month favorite show.  Especially the episodes of the Flying Tigers and the Hellcats.  She can name the pilots and planes, etc.  We've a possible future pilot on our hands here~! :-D
I'm always struck by the courage, bravery and skill of the pilots.  Lessons to be learned there on that show.  

Blue skies!

-Ruptured Duck:aok

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I love Dogfight,  because it also teaches some ACM.   Maybe some of the NOOBs who get on, who watch it may be a slight threat.  Shure would be a change.

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 02:39:35 PM »
I learned some better fighter tactics just watching dogfights. I love the vietnam ones where the F4s, or Corsairs get into these long turn fights with Mig21s, or Mig17s and the F4s fire a missle and it goes to its target but over shoots. Funny watching early missle technology fail in the hands of the great airforce.

I would love to see dog fight cover all top aces of WW2 from every country. There is how you learn alot about a planes weakness, and its strenghts.
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
Originally posted by VooWho

I would love to see dog fight cover all top aces of WW2 from every country. There is how you learn alot about a planes weakness, and its strenghts.

If your not familiar with this site ... http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/aces.htm

It got tons and tons of storys ... great site
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »
let's face it...3 zekes on an SBD??  and the SBD kills them???  they deserved to die.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
VooWho.

There are loads of fascinating BOOKS out there.  That will capture your imagination just as much as dogfights can.

My favourite was Saburo Sakai's biography I managed to get off the net for one pound.  An old 1960's print in perfect condition.  What a guy.

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »
Originally posted by Coronado
let's face it...3 zekes on an SBD??  and the SBD kills them???  they deserved to die.

the 3rd kill was from a collision between the SBD and the zero when the zero tried to HO, SBD lost a aileron the zero broke and augred.

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »
thin we get a mention here, pherhaps the advert isnt 100% successful, the guy doesnt remember the name :P

http://boards.historychannel.com/thread.jspa?threadID=600021641&messageID=700100104

anyway im looking for somehwere to download/stream the episodes if anyone has a linky, in the uK here its hard to stay up till 5-6am to catc hthe programme :P

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 08:19:30 PM »
If you find them somewhere please post it here or in PM. I've captured all the episodes so far and converted them each to 350 meg XVID files to save on a DVD. My capture of the Flying Tigers episode was messed up so I've been scouring Bittorrent sites and Usenet looking for it but no luck yet.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 09:09:11 PM »
yea was in game and talking to some squaddies while watching this, was a very good episode indeed, Even tried to fly the SBD after watching this episode, Needless to say i sucked :lol

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
Roscoroo, great site, thanks for the link.
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
You'll find some vets flying the SBD as well.

I like to use it to intercept raids. Invariably, they don't take the threat seriously and pay for it in spades. The last time I flew the SBD against a raid, I nailed 4 F4Us and a P-51 before being forced to ditch my wrecked Dauntless. Excellent turning ability, zero convergence guns and the ability to force overshoots at will all contribute to the SBD being far more dangerous than most players will realize... Until it's too late. :)

My regards,

Widewing

Widewing,

How/when did you figure this out.  Noodling in the TA?  And on overshoots, flaps?  How many notches do you like.

I've only used the Dauntless as an observation platform when commanding a CV.

Thanks for your input, always substantive,

hap