Author Topic: Dog fights on the History channel  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Dog fights on the History channel
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
I have most of them recorded on Windows Media Center, I can try to e-mail them if anyone with the program is interested. Drop me a PM.

I have-
Flying Tigers
Guadalcanal
Hell over Hanoi
The Zero Killer
Air Ambush
The Last Gunfighter
MiG Alley
Death of the Japanese Navy
Long Odds
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline slowstick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »
recorded on dvd, lol. I wouldn't have a clue how to host them to a download stream

Originally posted by 1cemanVS
recorded on what? any possible way of hosting them for download/stream? no? yes? pleeeeaase?

hehe

cant do reading, my imagination sucks :lol

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:30 PM »
It's a great series.  Finally, a show that doesn't totally botch the way the planes fly.

And the stories are excellent.

However, I don't think they are using any flight sim to do it.  They seem to be using their own CGI stuff -- at least so it seems according to their own 2-minute minidocumentary on their "behind the scenes" work.

It's available here:

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Video_Clips&content_type_id=51912&display_order=3&mini_id=51833

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Stars Aligned
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Coronado
let's face it...3 zekes on an SBD??  and the SBD kills them???  they deserved to die.

:noid   Swede probably had his stars all aligned or some other supernatural force, but the man had 'mad' skillz.  He used every bit of the planes superior construction and pulled off the proper tactics at the right time.  He pretty much looked like Superman just enduring the G forces.  I guess the only thing that he wasn't able to do was to allow his rear gunner a shot with .30 cals (recall that he could barely hold on to his gun - If I were him, would definitely be thanking manufacturers for open canopy:rolleyes: ).  

17 mins or Dogfighting - - the result:  Toughest man + Toughest machine = an honorable death for any attacker who doesn't run away.  In this show the zeke pilots were not without their tricks either, I believe they were "outmanned".

As a post note to the story. they added that Swede repeated his high performance in another aircraft only a few weeks after that sortie.:aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Stars Aligned
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Originally posted by Chilli

As a post note to the story. they added that Swede repeated his high performance in another aircraft only a few weeks after that sortie.:aok

Yep, after the Navy brass realized he would be better in fighters and transfered him to a Wildcat squadron and bagged 7 Japanese fighters in one sortie.

On a side note...I would have loved to hear or at least read the rear gunner's thoughts about the fight with the 3 Japanese Zeros.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
As much as I love the show, since it is the only one like that out there, and about time.  I find it many times inaccurate.

Look closely at the last show regarding the SBD fight.  Stanly said they set him up in a scissors.  The animation did not show a scissors it showed some stupid oval race track.  IMH you would think they would do a little research.  Even the 3 month noob here knows what a scissors is.

Then the other thing that makes me laugh, is the best dogfight on the show is between an SBD and three Zekes.  LOLH all the other engagements are Hoing runners.  Which is totally understandable when your arse is really on the line.  Guys who use this bollocks in the game are pretty much laughable.

Also I think the animation leaves a lot to be desired.  When they show the planes turning they don't look like they are flying at all; jerky segmented 180 degree pulls don't look smooth like they normally would be.

All in all they have a great idea, but it is poorly executed.  Cool to hear from the Vets tho.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »
Originally posted by Quah!
As much as I love the show, since it is the only one like that out there, and about time.  I find it many times inaccurate.

Look closely at the last show regarding the SBD fight.  Stanly said they set him up in a scissors.  The animation did not show a scissors it showed some stupid oval race track.  IMH you would think they would do a little research.  Even the 3 month noob here knows what a scissors is.

Then the other thing that makes me laugh, is the best dogfight on the show is between an SBD and three Zekes.  LOLH all the other engagements are Hoing runners.  Which is totally understandable when your arse is really on the line.  Guys who use this bollocks in the game are pretty much laughable.

Also I think the animation leaves a lot to be desired.  When they show the planes turning they don't look like they are flying at all; jerky segmented 180 degree pulls don't look smooth like they normally would be.

All in all they have a great idea, but it is poorly executed.  Cool to hear from the Vets tho.

I noticed that as well while watching it. Maybe they were referring to the part of the scissors you stick your finger in.. :D
"strafing"

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2007, 07:12:49 PM »
only thing I don't like is when they say "And then he let out a short burst with his machine guns..." and the animation shows a 1-minute long burst.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »
I've seen a lot of animated or CGI depictions of air combat.  For all its faults, Dogfights does a vastly superior job in realistic movement of the planes and depiction of the action.  In comparison, it is very good.

Offline Roadr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »
Maytbe HC should portray OTHER views besides the Allies.  Many from other aces, like um, one of the best still alive,  Gunther Rall?  I just get tired of hearing how, " the .50s had a better punch" BS... I take a 30mm anyday....

Offline slowstick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:28 PM »
just for the record, that stupid oval race track as you call it is actually called a wagon wheel. It was and still is a manuever. The idea being no matter what the enemy plans does, someone can get on their 6

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I noticed that as well while watching it. Maybe they were referring to the part of the scissors you stick your finger in.. :D

heh.

i really enjoy watching those episodes, maybe not so much for the historical aspect as much as for the fun.  when i want history, i'll read a book:) or ask guppy/corkyjr.  i also think not everyone who watches that show knows half as much as many of the pile its here.  though then again, a quick trip to the MA may say a different story:)

what would be great is if AH graphics where state of the art, as on the show, and he gave us all computers and HD monitors to run them on......all for $15/month.  it's really good idea HT, i strongly think you should consider it;)
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jedi25

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2007, 09:09:18 PM »
What a guys who knows how to handle a SDB...I am inspired to fly this plane..

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »
I agree that some of the graphics showing turns and such are a bit off looking, but it's the best show of that type available and the episodes are excellent training vids.

Not so sure the SBD's maneuver was a wagon wheel though. It sure didn't look like what the series depicts in another episode. Didn't look like a scissors either, so I can't say just what maneuver it was.

There are ten episodes so far. I've managed to get them all by recording them on my system and then burning them as a regular DVD.

For those of you who'd like copies, I'll look into trying to find somewhere I could upload them in 'ISO' format so people could download them and then burn them to DVD.

Don't shout for joy just yet, though. Even after I zip/rar them, they will be massive. You will almost certainly have to have high-speed to download them in any decent timeframe, if you can at all.

It'll take me a day or so to figure out if it's possible, but don't get yer hopes up. I'll post back here if I'm able to find somewhere to upload an episode

Wabb
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:26 AM »
Originally posted by wabbit
I'll look into trying to find somewhere I could upload them in 'ISO' format so people could download them and then burn them to DVD.

Don't shout for joy just yet, though. Even after I zip/rar them, they will be massive. You will almost certainly have to have high-speed to download them in any decent timeframe, if you can at all.

might want to look into the following programs if wabbit does this for ya'll

PowerISO   or
Alcohol120%   or
Blindwrite   &
WinRAR    and  maybe ConvertXtoDVD

will make it so much easier for  unzipping and then burning to DVD

btw: HistoryChannel.com  sells each episode on DVD and more than likely offer them as  sets in the future........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC