Author Topic: Too high a Price for a Wii  (Read 1029 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Too high a Price for a Wii
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
A 28-year-old suburban Sacramento woman died of apparent “water intoxication” after participating in a contest — “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” — sponsored by local radio station 107.9 KDND. The rules were simple: Participants simply competed to see how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom. The winner would receive a shiny new Wii video game console, the highly coveted, $250 must-have from Nintendo.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/15/too-high-a-price-for-a-wii/

I'd rather die trying to get PS3 than Wii!

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
Should rename your thread:

"Dieing for A Wii"

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »
Sad story.  A family is without a mother, employees will be fired and a radio station will be served with a gigantic law suit.  The only winners here will once again be the lawyers.

With several of these kinds of incidents in the news the last couple years you would think that the general population would know the dangers of diluting your sodium levels with too much water all at once.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
Darwin strikes again.
sand

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Darwin strikes again.

+1 with a side of greed on both sides of this equation.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
This is not a tragedy but a clear case of stupidity. The only person at fault already paid the price so learn to accept responsibility and stop blaming others for own stupid mistakes. Blaming radio show…how ridiculous.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Russian
Blaming radio show…how ridiculous.

BS.  They coordinated the "stunt".  Poll the general population and see how many know of water intoxication.  I hope the radio station gets raked over the coals.  All in the name of higher ratings and the mighty dollar.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
BS.  They coordinated the "stunt".  Poll the general population and see how many know of water intoxication.  I hope the radio station gets raked over the coals.  All in the name of higher ratings and the mighty dollar.

I guess you're the type of a person that blames pen for mistakes.....

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by Russian
I guess you're the type of a person that blames pen for mistakes.....

Not if they know or should know the risks.  Like I said, how many in the general public know about water intoxication?  When they signed the waiver did it mention the risks?  Chances are it was just a regular cover-our-arse waiver.  I have not found any indication that there was medical personnel on the scene during the stunt.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:26:51 PM »
She was working in health care, right?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »
Not if they know or should know the risks.  Like I said, how many in the general public know about water intoxication?  When they signed the waiver did it mention the risks?  Chances are it was just a regular cover-our-arse waiver.  I have not found any indication that there was medical personnel on the scene during the stunt.

I know what water intoxication is.

I also know what Psuedo Faliculitus Barbai is as well.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »

Only a MORON would do something as stupid as she did.   Regardless of the "prize", she chose Greed over her family.   Funnier yet, she worked in Health Care.   The Radio Station didn't hold a gun to her head.   She made a "choice", and she paid the "price".  

Darwin +3
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
Dumb mom is what that is. For $250+tax you can get one at any electronics store or Wal-Mart or hell even buy it online from somewhere and pay the shipping charges.

I gotta say that she is the early leader in the '07 Darwin Awards contest.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:30 PM »
A little bit of salt could have saved her life, it would have prevented the cells from absording too much water.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »
Someone on Slashdot talked about suing the radio station 'into the poorhouse'.  I responded with the following:
"I hope they sue this radio station and the individuals involved into the poorhouse..."

I'd like to weigh in quickly regarding this part of your post. It seems to reflect the widespread consensus that personal responsibility in our nation is happily being handed off to anyone but ourselves. At what point does the individual assume some blame for something going wrong? We read this week about someone in Germany swerving their car off a highway onto a trolley track because his GPS said 'Turn left'. He just blindly did it, should the GPS company be sued? Or should the driver have maybe exercised some better judgment in blindly following the instruction?

If a radio station held a 'Let's play Russian Roulette' contest for a prize, should the family of the person who shoots themselves be able to sue?

Our civil courts have a purpose, and they serve that purpose daily. But our society seems hellbent on using the same system to try and get "the payout", a claim paid by an insurance company or by the liquidation of assets of a company that did some perceived slight. The american dream shouldn't be 'Succesfully sue someone' and make mad-kash.

What have we become?

It was modded up once, then modded down 4x so that it's at -1.  Apparently personal responsibility isn't a top concern for the folks who were mods today.

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=216996&cid=17617998
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis