Author Topic: What is a HO??????  (Read 2103 times)

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 05:00:21 AM »
I have no problems with HO, as you have to assume that you can be killed in this little game!, saying that is unfair is out of subject!!  HO is not only a lucky shot as you have many options of angles and the right timing to break!

If you don't try your chance while is coming in front attack, you might loose the fight for good in a "regular clean shot"

Those discussions about HO just incitate me to work more on frontal attack and make the best of it!!

Manurin
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: What is a HO??????
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 06:18:53 AM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
OK I have a question here. What do people consider a HO???

Opinions????

How many more threads are needed on this topic?   Let it go, if someone said that to you, great, fantastic.   If someone DIDN'T say that to you, great, fantastic.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
What is a HO??????
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »
5k out nose to nose playing chicken all the way, guns lighting up at 1 k that is a true HO.

Anything else is a forward quarter shot in the middle of a turn fight and is not possibly and never will be a HO.

Anyone who try's to say it is a HO is a loser, who just lost a fight and is looking for an excuse.

Once past that initial merge anything goes, even in 1 on 1 ladder rules. So if you got shot down you screwed up, you made a mistake, its YOUR fault, not the other guys. Quit moaning, jump in a plane and try again!

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 07:27:28 AM »
Originally posted by gusman
wouldn't this be her six? oh i get it :o

gusman44

You thinking 2v1? :D
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »

Offline chancevought

• Copper Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
Here's what i found...if u kill them, they call it a HO....if they kill u, they call it a front quarter shot!!  

I shoot whats in my crosshairs.....if ur facin me (since they tryin to kill me too) or if ur not, it don't matter....I'm here to shoot down planes, stay outta my crosshairs if u dont wanna get kilt...

If u dont like the HO..then turn away.....it's really that easy!

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
Everybody is forgetting one thing. Unless both pilots participate it is really hard to get directly in front of someones nose head on. Both pilots have to have the same intent. To prove my point, try and intercept a bomber group directly head on. Its difficult because the bomber pilot is not participating in pursueing a HO.

Ive tried many times to take on bombers head on and almost always intercept at some kind of front quarter angle.

Conclusion, it takes two to HO and the loser has the nerve to chastise the other guy for being better at it.

Give me a break.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
What is a HO??????
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 05:51:07 AM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
................i.e. both have a gun solution, then it is a HO.

This is my definition also............ the tactics of the foolish and/or the desparate......

I have been and almost certainly will be again , guilty of both....... but I will still need an equally foolish or desperate opponent to complete the HO.
Ludere Vincere

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
What is a HO??????
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
Man I don't get it. IF an enemy plane turns into me I have two choices. Challange the HO or divert for a dogfight. If I am in an La, 110, FW190, you can be guaranteed that I will accept. If flying something without cannons I will opt for the fight. This is given the classic HO situation. Matching alt's and 5K out.
If I am in a furball with a plane on my arss and a plane enters my sight out of pure luck head on, I will do my best to get the kill. If you try to have rules of engagement in this game only a few will follow and the rest will

take advantage of your good nature. For the most part an enemy plane will do whatever is needed to take you out of the air be it a game or real. So protect yourself at all times and may the best man win. I get HOed and vulched just like the rest of us. I would opt for a fight in the air and will

allow other pilots to up their aircraft before engaging if the situation allows it. If I am helping take out a base flying cover over an enemy airfield and the aircraft in the air have been eliminated I would vulch my own grandmother to save my C47. HA Ha just kidding about grandmaw but not

about vulching. Everyone in this game has done it or is lying about it. If I am challanged to a HO and I am in the right plane for me, it's on. If I loose then thats my fault. Its just a part of the game you either whine about all the time or accept that it is not going to change. Lower ability pilots will opt for the HO every chance they get. It may be one of the only ways they can

score a kill or some might be so good at it that it is just to irresitable to pass up. Either case I am up for the challange. The only rule of engagment is that their is no rule so govern yourself accordingly.
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
Ghosth has it 100% correct....

Also Mustaine... I am pretty sure the correct term is "I'd Tap It...." :p

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
S!

1 vs 1 headon merge and no firing.  after that, its anything goes.  extend, turnfight whatever.  to me it's just more fun and the quality of the fight is better.  however, being pm'd and called a ho or other things esp on 200 can really be annoying.  it just something you gotta deal with at the time.

have i hoed?  certainly.  will i ho again?  yes.  it really depends on the situation thats going on around you.  are you in a furball?  up high 1 vs 1 at 25k?  after 7 years here, it's just more fun for me trying different planes, learning how they handle and trying to shoot down the other person's airplane.  just have fun and dont worry bout what others think about how you shot em down.  my 2 cents.

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline betty

• Gold Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
ok...this is a touchy subject. a HO shot always seems to b the easy way to get a kill, but for me, the way i was taught to fly, i dont do it..UNLESS i am out numbered and there r no friendlies around. i was takin the high deflect shot but after a long talk with my mentor on here, its not a good shot to take either. i would rather earn the kill than to b a dweeb for an easy kill. if it means me gettin killed and hardly gettin any killz...so b it. i would rather earn that one very slight 6 shot that i put a few burst of 20 mils and u blow up. i like the idea that i can <> someone and get a <> back and have a nice short convo bout a GOOD FIGHT . i might die alot to the cheap shots like a HO or a ram, but when i win a fight that was strickly nothin but pure ACM's, no running, no ho'n, no rammin...thats worth it to me every time.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
What is a HO??????
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
If both planes have a 0 angular advantage, i.e. both have a gun solution, then it is a HO. You could probably put in a cushion of say 5 degrees to account for lag. Anything else is a good deflection shot.

What most people complain about is when an opponents only maneuver is to turn nose on to you and fire as you cross. I'm not saying that this isn't a valid tactic but if this is his only maneuver any half way decent pilot will eventually defeat him if he can avoid the face shot.

ever tried avoiding a face shot in a P38? or a ME 110? kinda hard....they feel like magnets when the HO guys do thier thing.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
What is a HO??????
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 09:11:59 AM »
HOs only exist in duels where the two combatants make rules prior to flight about firing at the initial merge. In the arenas, there are no such rules. Always expect someone to shoot at you headon.

~AoM~

Offline fjaloma

• Zinc Member
HO? - Whatever!
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 09:44:23 AM »
Greetings fron Indy... Go Colts!

Frankly, I find it kind of funny anybody complains about getting shot down in the first place. Regardless of how it occurred.  Also, ahead on pass is not uncommon.

The essential point is this is combat (albeit a video game) and the point is to shoot the enemy no matter what the circumstance.  If you look at how we play this game with such a lack of tactical awareness, we set ourselves up for a HO situation every time we lift off. Almost everybody takes off from a field and file STRAIGHT to the enemy base. We're breeding HO scenarios under those conditions. Almost nobody makes a tactical approach to a base from a point other than head on straight from your base.

I tend to be a buff pilot so doing this tends to be lethal. So I always find an alternate route so I can come into the target area/base at an angle and perhaps get closer in before I have to defend myself.  

It's the same with fighters. If you're trying to take a base, why always go for a "frontal" attack?  You likely won't get there before meeting swarms of bandits sent up to block you.  So go AROUND them!  So you add 2-3 minutes of flying time to your sortie, bit deal, now you have an unabated shot at the base/target you're after.

There's no crying in aerial combat. The simple truth is if you got shot down, you either put yourself in a bad position at the start or your situational awareness wasn't what it should have been.  Time to accept responsibility for your actions and pull the rip cord. Ha!

Disco