Author Topic: <S>: Good/Bad Form?  (Read 983 times)

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
<S>: Good/Bad Form?
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »
Hardly an important thread, but just wanted to get an idea of what people thought.

1.  Would you consider it 'bad form' for a fighter plane pilot to send a salute to a goon pilot if he shoots him down? (if the goon didn't salute first)

2.  Do you consider it 'bad form' to send a  first to any other plane if you win the battle?

3.  Who gives a ****.  Salute for respect or salute to grief, whatever you want.

I know there are various circumstances...do you know the player, was it an excellent 1vs1 lasting 15 mins, things like that where it's a genuine 'I salute you with respect sir' or 'haha, snuck up on you and blasted you defenseless dweeb'

I was wondering if there is some unspoken ettiquette for this.

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:53:40 AM »
I think alot of people throw around the salute too much, but its disrespectful not to return one so its a double edged sword,

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:56:45 AM »
generaly bad form to send an S! if you owned someone.

good form to send one when you die in any circumstance.

bad form to salute someone if you cherry picked them out of another fight.

sometimes when you win, perhaps when you and a team mate beat a much better pilot through teamwork, it is good form to send a salute then say 'saluted for great 1 vs 2 flying' or somesuch remark.

generaly a salute when you win, with no other text, is bad form, especially when you didnt earn the kill for yourself.

i generally try to return any salute though, ya know, some noob got his first kill and is just dying to salute something, doesnt take much away from me to grant them the pleasure of a returned salute even if i know they dont really deserve it.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:57:06 AM »
I offer all the time. Really just depends on my mood. I have never saluted anyone who shot me down while I was in a goon though. Nor if I am the shooter of the goon.
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »
I'll often send a to another player after a good fight, win or lose, as a sign of respect.  In fact I'll send a to a whole group that I felt I had a good fight against and who worked me over hard (example:   "killer" and friends).

I suppose if I win or if it's from a me against many it's not always taken that way but that's always my intent.

If I sneak up on someone and blow them out, HO them or if we're in unmatched planes, etc., etc. there's no reason to .
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Salutes.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:58:42 AM »
IMO,

1.  No way.  Last night I saw Mulf succesfully out fly an enemy 190 with his C47 for over 5 minutes.  I couldnt believe how well he did.  Stayed up long enough for help to arrive.  If I was the enemy 190 I would have certainly saluted Mulf, regardless of outcome.

2.  No again.  If foeman was a good fight, let him know.

3. Tougher here.  It all comes down to the player I guess.  I salute anyone who leaves me with "that" feeling.  Win or lose, this guy was fun!....salute coming.  I also reply to all 200 and PM attacks with a salute rather than engaging in ...well...that crapola.

All of the above is just the opinions I hold.  I have been playing 13 months and Im sure that like anything, length of time involved with something can alter how one reacts to situations.

Good Post.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:15:57 AM »
always S!.  it is just showing respect and manners.  

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
if its batfinkv that shoots me down ill send  a or  a  or  a damn or blast.

hey if the guy puts up a good fight and you enjoyed it send  a and show him respect at  a good fight.

theres  to much crap and bad talk going on of late
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
SkyRock<----owns  salutes!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies,  good input.

Here is what I think.

1.  I never send a first salute to a goon if I shoot it down.  Defenseless player in unmatched airplane, strikes me as neener neener, u wasted all that time i got you.

If guy does good job flying it, i might say on open channel, 'great goon flying', but not say his name so it is just between he and I, no need to tell everyone who was shot down.

rarely will I return a salute when in a goon and get shot down, although I did last night to a player who I thought was one of the more experienced guys (a squad leader of a very well known squad, the basis for this post)

2.  If I shoot down a guy I never(rarely) send the first salute, though I might on open channel say 'great flying' or something, again with no name.  Although it kills me when I get schooled, I'll salute back in almost all cases a first salute.

3.. who cares anyway, just a game.  I should be working not writing on this post.

Just to let you know, I have broken every rule above before over the course of my time in AH.  I've saluted goons I shot down, not returned salutes after good fights, did it to say 'neener neener', cherry picked you, shot you down in a 10vs1 fight....so on and so on.

That was long before though, before I started flying with Lynx. I don't do that anymore, was bad form on my part.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
generaly bad form to send an S! if you owned someone.

good form to send one when you die in any circumstance.

bad form to salute someone if you cherry picked them out of another fight.

sometimes when you win, perhaps when you and a team mate beat a much better pilot through teamwork, it is good form to send a salute then say 'saluted for great 1 vs 2 flying' or somesuch remark.

generaly a salute when you win, with no other text, is bad form, especially when you didnt earn the kill for yourself.

i generally try to return any salute though, ya know, some noob got his first kill and is just dying to salute something, doesnt take much away from me to grant them the pleasure of a returned salute even if i know they dont really deserve it.

*SNORK*

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:27:53 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
SkyRock<----owns  a lime green 1973 Ford Pinto Wagon!:aok

There..all better now :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
always S!.  it is just showing respect and manners.  

S!

You know Dad, It has always been taken as respect coming from you. It just shows how a player’s character and reputation effects the dispositions of others around them. You have never in my recollection been a smart arse on open radio. I’m sure that is the reason if you S me after you shot my goon down I wouldn’t take it as an insult.
S!

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Re: <S>: Good/Bad Form?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »
1.  In the odd case that the goon did some crazy evasives, they deserve a

2.  Whether I win or lose, if it's a good fight, I send a .  

3.  Out of sarcasm (killing vulchers, spawncampers) I'll send a .  Salt in the wounds... :)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
I'll send a when I get shot down if I'm quick enough to catch the name in the text buffer

I'll send a esp if its someone I recognize from the board or the game

I'll return a if I get one and see it

pretty much to the individual I suppose
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute