Author Topic: Perk US bombers  (Read 4085 times)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I'm just wondering what happens if buff perks continue to accumulate?
Will there be perk inflation?  Suddenly 234s could cost 2,000,000-3,000,000
perks?  I can see new planes just for new plane's sake..a perk "economy
sink" seems very odd to me.

In game terms, an "economy sink" is simply a mean to spend earned credit, be it gold, experience, or perk points.  Like buying clothes and such for avatars in MMORPGs.   The perk system is not set to "inflation" as you state it, but tied to overall arena numbers like ENY.   For GV's the perk sink is the Tiger.

Right now, the only bomber perk economy sink in AHII is the Arado Ar-234 bomber.  Now, not all bomber pilots like the Arado, but that is all we have to spend perk points on.  
So, some bomber pilots have been turning to tactics of bomb-an-bail, or bomb-and-bail, or suicide, once they've delivered their eggs to target.  They don't need any more bomber perks, so why earn more?  Why land your missions?  Some like to land their kills.  Some like to have high scores, but you can ditch and still keep most of your points, and get back into the air sooner for another run.

The original thread premise is to convert the existing bombers to make use of the existing perk system.... ie.... B-24's, B-17's.... perks needed to fly them, when now, they are free to use.  In MMOG's terms, that is "gimping", and I argue against it, and try to provide an alternative: The A-26B/C Invader (since the B-29 is not an option we keep getting told).

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »
gimping means to nerf, to make impotent, to reduce efficiency. The bombers themselves would remain unchanged in abilities, but would simply be SOMEthing to spend perks on!

Perk the B24!!!!

Offline Beardawg

• Zinc Member
perking buffs
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »
nope    perk all fighters, leave buffs alone.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 06:26:38 PM »
Bear, the problem is we HAVE planes to spend fighter perks on. We have NO PLANES to spend bomber perks on (aside from the non-entity Ar234)

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »
Granted, and agreed, and it cause issues and problems as noted many other places ......... I'd just really rather see additional  perkable planes added to the planeset rather than turned from free to perked.

That's really my only issue with the original post.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 01:30:47 AM »
But do you think we'll get said bombers any time within a 5 year timeframe? I do not. In the meanwhile, this can fill the hole left. I didn't say "forever" -- just until that time 5 years from now when we do get something.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 02:11:38 AM »
..... B-29? :confused:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 06:58:30 AM »
bomber perks are cheap.

1. perk formations
2. perk heavy bombs
3. all single bombers are free.

Then:
1. add recoil to bomber guns.

GV:
1. add recoil to m16/ostie
2. add vibrations to the gun position when driving - m16/ostie driving in circles and sniping at planes can't be right. Tanks also couldn't hit crap when driving.

Fighters:
1. perks 1000lbs or bigger bombs.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 09:52:20 AM »
Originally posted by bozon

Then:
1. add recoil to bomber guns.

GV:
1. add recoil to m16/ostie
2. add vibrations to the gun position when driving - m16/ostie driving in circles and sniping at planes can't be right. Tanks also couldn't hit crap when driving.

Umm Its there. Example fire an osti at a friendly building and watch hit sprites.
They do not hit in the same place.
Further more visual gun shake is there . Jump in a tank commanders position and fire gun with zoom all the way in. It jumps like a flea on a hot brick.

I also can look up the post when the visual component was first implemented. I remember because it was a source of much consternation with the GVers.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Perk US bombers
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
Anyone like the attack hanger idea? could replace a fighter hanger with one,

it would house planes like

hurri IID
a20
boston 3 (maybe)
tbm (maybe)
other more attack oriented aircraft....not really MEANT for bombing or fighting...right in the middle
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
Originally posted by spikes
Anyone like the attack hanger idea? could replace a fighter hanger with one,

Not really.  How you would divide existing perks among existing players to the two pots is the first big issue that occurs to me.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »
What about all the multi-role fighters? P47s, P51s, hell 3/4 the fighters in the planeset have the "attack" option.

Perk categories should stay as they are. However, we need something to use the bomber perks on!

Perk the B-24!

:aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Perk US bombers
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
good point guys, thanks
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Perk US bombers
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 11:25:46 AM »
If you stick bombs/rockest on a fighter IMO you are no longer flying a fighter you are flying a ground attack ac.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Perk US bombers
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
"attack" is only an arbitrary score category. It means "I want GV kills to count". Fighter means "I only want aircraft kills to count". You can up a heavy P47, drop 2 bombs on 2 panzers, kill 4 planes then rtb. If it's in "attack" mode you'll get 2 registered kills. However your death won't ruin the score any, because in attack your deaths don't matter (you're going in to attack an object that will probably kill you) whereas in fighter kills matter more because it's usually air to air, you lost out to another player. If you do the same sortie as "fighter" you would get 4 kills, but if you died after #4 it would be worse off for your score.

So the mission profile doesn't change at all. It's an arbitrary choice "how do I want these points tallied up?". So having an attack perk category is pointless, as is having dedicated attack hangars.