Author Topic: The AvA needs advertising  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
The AvA needs advertising
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 09:50:56 PM »
wow...  wish I'd have been there watching

Next time you guys face off roll tape for us nooooobs I'd love to see it
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 09:58:01 PM »
Originally posted by storch
no sooner than I posted the above response to poof that I logged on and he was on.  poof upped a P51b and I a 109G6.  he then commenced to give me a schooling the likes of which is periodically necessary.  we must have fought uninterrupted for better than 15 minutes in a truly well matched fight.   to you sir thank you for a GREAT fight.

205 vs 109 fight was good fun too btw ;) 205 just can't hold a G2 off for that long though, great flying on your part :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: The AvA needs advertising
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:19:04 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
we all know it, that AvA is the best arena in AH. best, and most fair fights, historical matchups, and just far more fun.

it does however have one huge drawback, numbers. it would be great if we did something to raise the profile of the AvA, and get people flying in there.

we need to run some heavily advertised events and get people in. everyone loves it when there are people in there to fly with, it's so much more enjoyable. this is most evident during off peak times, there's never anyone in there. i don't know what can be done, but it would be fantastic to see more people in there ;)

thanks, biggs

We have been Advertising for quite sometime now on all fronts.What is starting to help lately is when you tell them thier score is recorded in the AvA as well.

By the by, there is a very good GV scenario being put together for HMM.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 09:37:57 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731

Having said that, I can only think of a few things that I would consider to be the unwritten code of AvA:

- no vulching
- no ganging (more than 3 v 1)
- maintenance of a respectful attitude to others (except for Storch, who has proven impossible to train)
- be willing to engage in a fight

you forgot the most important "unwritten code":
- don't whine about somone breaking the "unwritten code".  

The unwritten code is no more than a courtesy that is given from one player to another.  Since there is no way to enforce "unwritten codes",    this has led to a false impression to new comers who think they will not be Ho'd  in the AvA which is not true.

storch

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »
in order to train a beast one must be at least as intelligent as the beast.  :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
you forgot the most important "unwritten code":
- don't whine about somone breaking the "unwritten code".  

The unwritten code is no more than a courtesy that is given from one player to another.  Since there is no way to enforce "unwritten codes",    this has led to a false impression to new comers who think they will not be Ho'd  in the AvA which is not true.

So I noticed... *shrug*
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
Thanks to forHIM and the CM staff we (the AVA) now have a page on the events site. I am working on it today. :) Will not be anything fancy at first, but will give players a place to peek and see what the AVA is about.

As for HO Dicho, IMHO if I have a shot I take it, (esp if I greatly out gun them and can't out maneuver them) I care nothing about what others say or think about my methods. Besides I suck and if they tell me that, I just agree with them. :D No ego to fan here.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

storch

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
thirty players on earlier this evening.  10 in axis, 15 in spitwads alt monkeying, vultching and HO'n and the real gem 5 in other allied planes attempting to not dweeb up the arena.  thanks for the good fights they more than countered the 6 vultches from the dweebs.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
Wow. 30 players.  Really, that's fantastic considering our numbers the fall.

Storch - apart from the dweebery we only find  the MA, still not a bad thing no?  Would you rather have no targets or 15? :D

I wonder if the server maintenance from last week attracted a few regulars to check it out again? Either way, 30 players is still 30 players, isn't it?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

storch

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 06:23:01 AM »
well I always say a spitttard on your 6 is better than no spittard at all.  :D

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 06:31:09 AM »
15 in spitwads alt monkeying, vultching...
Sondog was embarrassed by the guys he was flying with. He told me they were vulching and asked if he could shoot them down. I told him two wrongs don't make a right. ;) One of those teaching moments. I told him to ask them not to vulch. He is still too shy about sticking his neck, but he was quite displeased with their behavior.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

storch

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 06:59:31 AM »
the sad thing is that those players are former AvA regulars.  in their defense not all of them were vultching and not all of them were in easy mode rides.  I was happy to see two of them in particular that had improved their game so much I couldn't believe it was them.  the rest of them had made no real improvement though.  apparently they still play with the stall limiter on climb far above the fight and cherry/gang when they aren't vultching.  I was glad they were in the arena though, warts and all.  if it takes a few vultches in order for them to get revenge then I guess it has to be what it is, a hollow victory.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »
Originally posted by daddog
I told him two wrongs don't make a right.  

But, uh, three do.

- oldman (good for sondog)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:45 AM »
Originally posted by storch
the sad thing is that those players are former AvA regulars.  in their defense not all of them were vultching and not all of them were in easy mode rides.  I was happy to see two of them in particular that had improved their game so much I couldn't believe it was them.  the rest of them had made no real improvement though.  apparently they still play with the stall limiter on climb far above the fight and cherry/gang when they aren't vultching.  I was glad they were in the arena though, warts and all.  if it takes a few vultches in order for them to get revenge then I guess it has to be what it is, a hollow victory.

Looks like they needed some good ole fashioned neg reinforcement..

A few minutes of ack set with lazer beam accuarcy with a down time of 2 seconds, usually gets the message accross quite effectively..  

:lol

storch

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »
the other side to that coin is then they never leave the ack.  they are MA players at heart no amount of beating will remove that fact.