Author Topic: The AvA needs advertising  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
The AvA needs advertising
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »
we all know it, that AvA is the best arena in AH. best, and most fair fights, historical matchups, and just far more fun.

it does however have one huge drawback, numbers. it would be great if we did something to raise the profile of the AvA, and get people flying in there.

we need to run some heavily advertised events and get people in. everyone loves it when there are people in there to fly with, it's so much more enjoyable. this is most evident during off peak times, there's never anyone in there. i don't know what can be done, but it would be fantastic to see more people in there ;)

thanks, biggs

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

storch

hold on thar deppity dawg
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »
I disagree.  there are plenty of good fights with as few as two players on.  I have enjoyed many, many 3 v 3s and such.  the last thing the AvA needs is a bunch of toolshedding, vultching, ack hugging, suicide porking, truck driving MA players.  the endless whines of why can't I fly my Lgayseven!!!!!!! the steady stream xxxxx requests to join your plane.  the rude private messages for killing 3 of them while you are alone.  no thanks.

when they show up and I'm on I pound them to pixels mercilessly until they retreat to relative safety of the MA.  while the door is open to all, no need for that in here.  let the ones that appreciate a fight for a fight's sake frequent the arena.  the rest should rightfully remain in the quake and cannon fodder arena.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Re: hold on thar deppity dawg
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:42:34 AM »
Originally posted by storch
I disagree.  there are plenty of good fights with as few as two players on.  I have enjoyed many, many 3 v 3s and such.  the last thing the AvA needs is a bunch of toolshedding, vultching, ack hugging, suicide porking, truck driving MA players.  the endless whines of why can't I fly my Lgayseven!!!!!!! the steady stream xxxxx requests to join your plane.  the rude private messages for killing 3 of them while you are alone.  no thanks.

when they show up and I'm on I pound them to pixels mercilessly until they retreat to relative safety of the MA.  while the door is open to all, no need for that in here.  let the ones that appreciate a fight for a fight's sake frequent the arena.  the rest should rightfully remain in the quake and cannon fodder arena.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

GREAT fights today

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
I think you're both right. It's a drag to log on hoping for an AvA fix only to find it deserted. I usually don't have the patience to enter anyway and wait more than a few minutes for someone else to show up before moving on. On the other hand, I understand Storch's point of view. The arena loses a little of that certain something that makes it special when there's lots of folks on.

A more populated arena means a greater chance of running across "toolshedding, vultching, ack hugging, suicide porking, truck driving MA players" but a total of 2 peeps on isn't much fun either unless they have similar ideas about gameplay and the skill gap isn't too huge.

Personally I think the former is the lesser of the two evils. I'd rather put up with a few annoying players than have nobody at all to fight. A bad day in AvA is still better than a good day in the MA. The quake types will find their way back to the MA before too long anyway. This really isn't their cup of tea. Besides Storch, where are you going to direct that righteous anger if there are no dweebs around to swat. ;)

Anyhow, if some sort of advertizing brings new peeps in theres a chance that a few will get it and fall in love with the place. It'd be great if you could find a dozen or so on at any time of day. I'd be willing to trade "a little too many" during peak hours for that.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
I had a blast in there last night.

Storch or Biggles a thought occured to me that didn't die of lonliness or alcohol poisoning.. could someone post the 'rules' for the AVA?  Not that it will do any good for the people that don't care but I know the first time I was in there I vulched a field out of ignorance and was told, politely I might add, by a regular that it was bad form.  No vulching, HO's are frowned upon, and.. what else?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
Originally posted by DblTrubl
The quake types will find their way back to the MA before too long anyway. This really isn't their cup of tea.

Agreed.

- oldman (with the proviso that the generalz think that WE'RE the Quake types)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
could someone post the 'rules' for the AVA?

There's been some vigorous discussion about this over the years, which seems to come down to this:  Many of the people who play in AvA on a frequent basis think that there is a code of conduct.  Others (typified by the "Hey, it's my $14.99/month...." expression) contest this.  Sooner or later, peer pressure either converts you, or drives you away I think.

Having said that, I can only think of a few things that I would consider to be the unwritten code of AvA:

- no vulching
- no ganging (more than 3 v 1)
- maintenance of a respectful attitude to others (except for Storch, who has proven impossible to train)
- be willing to engage in a fight

The HO issue is AH-wide, with proponents on both sides.  While I try not to HO on the merge, I'll do it otherwise if the shot presents itself.  Others' opinions vary.

Having said this, I think it would be unwise to try to codify it or to force others to comply with it.  You want to, or you don't.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
- no vulching
- no ganging (more than 3 v 1)
- maintenance of a respectful attitude to others (except for Storch, who has proven impossible to train)
- be willing to engage in a fight
Jaa, butz itz not zat he kant be vaught on vat is vite or rongz, itz zat beink une zerman pilotz it about zee KILL.  

DIE BART DIE! Tschüs zee Amerkanz and Vitish! . Ja, bitte for zee fightz.

Zee, ve veel vetter alz vready. Jaa Stochz?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »
Thanks Oldman,

I admit I ho'd a guy last friday but it was a lucky shot that was more intended to get him off my guys tail than actually damage.  

I think I'll stick with the code of conduct.  You know.. when in Rome and all

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

storch

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
no sooner than I posted the above response to poof that I logged on and he was on.  poof upped a P51b and I a 109G6.  he then commenced to give me a schooling the likes of which is periodically necessary.  we must have fought uninterrupted for better than 15 minutes in a truly well matched fight.   to you sir thank you for a GREAT fight.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
I think Biggles might have the better approach, the toolshedders would disappear soon enough and we might get more dedicated individuals to the AvA. Just my opinions, but I'd like to see some people in there during the hours I play (due to work and other R/L, haven't been online as much as I would like to be).

So, all ideas welcome. We'll start posting the current setup in the General Discussion, maybe add a link to one of Soda72's videoes, etc...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:01:30 PM »
Originally posted by storch
no sooner than I posted the above response to poof that I logged on and he was on.  poof upped a P51b and I a 109G6.  he then commenced to give me a schooling the likes of which is periodically necessary.  we must have fought uninterrupted for better than 15 minutes in a truly well matched fight.   to you sir thank you for a GREAT fight.

Storch did you run film?

storch

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »
I never run film anymore

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 08:32:06 PM »
dang

that would be one worth watching I think

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
dang

that would be one worth watching I think

i WISH i'd filmed it, it was an EXCELLENT fight. it was a total stalemate. i'd get on storch's six, only to not have the E or the engine power to push the nose up for the kill. i'd get a few pings, have to dive for E, and repeat, try to reverse, get behind, get outclimbed.

he'd get get some alt, i couldn't follow. he'd dive back down, i'd swing out of the way of his bullets. this same process carried on, back and forth for 15 mins. p51b vs 109g6...

eventually, he was learning how to bypass my moves, so i had to come up with new and inventive ways to drag him down, and reverse on him close enough to get a shot (stupid biggles had his convergence set to 200 yrds :(). during this stage i got some quick snapshots and steady pings, but no effective damage.

eventually i got too daring, too cocky and too greedy, let him in too close before reversing and lost my wing ;)

was one of the best fights i've ever had in AH, whiteknuckle ride all the way.

would have been a totally excellent training video, A) for learning to use a heavier, less maneuverable plane in a turnfight (pony b) and B) learning to fly to your plane's advantages and not get sucked in (109)

storchita, it was awesome

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC