Author Topic: Damage in Training Arena  (Read 373 times)

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
Damage in Training Arena
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:30:07 PM »
I don't know if it's possible to turn damage "on" in the Training arena. I don't mean to actually have the damage on the plane but if it would be available to know with your ctrl D  what type of damage u received from your opponent.  Sometimes it would be nice to know if the shot u made or received would of been fatal or to what degree it would affect your plane. And then if u could reset it for your next attack.  In TA u hear the pings and stuff and the holes are visible on your plane when u look at it but that's when knowing just how much damage happened in the encounter would be nice to know. I know u can have all this in the Duel Arena but u still have to take off and fly from your base. If this could be done u would save a lot of time in flying and maybe learn more in less "dead" time between encounters. Just an idea. Thanks

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Damage in Training Arena
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »
Good enough idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to actually code.

I am afraid they'd have to redo the entire system to get your system to work.
I don't know if they'd actually do that just so you could see what damage you would have taken.

TA is of course always a compromise between whats best for the widely varying skills of those useing it.  It ended up the way it is in order to keep people in the air & flying long enough to learn. As such while it may not be perfect for each individual it is perhaps the best that can be done at the time.

Once you reach the point where you need to be that concerned with what he may have hit, well it may be time to move to the Dueling Arena.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
Damage in Training Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
Actually I had a thought about this a few weeks ago.

It might not need all that much recoding.

In regular arenas, when planes accumulate enough damage, a subroutine breaks off the wings or tail or what ever.

So when enough pings have accumulated, instead of running the subroutine that destroys the plane, just send a message to the text buffer,

"So-and-So shot down So-and-So."

And reset the damage counter on the plane.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Damage in Training Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:54 AM »
I think it an excellent idea.

Only thing better would be an "OLD" system that actually Blew you plane up in mid flight, recorded the kill, and then re-spawned you back where you left off nearly instantainiously. It allowed you to get right back into the "Learning" without missing a beat.

It was an excellent way of keeping the involved parties interest to a high degree.

Not having to re-up and fly to your opponent cut down wasted online time for those that had limited time. It kept you at the fight where the learning is done.

In the DA you do have the opportunity and time to learn lame DA merge tactics that rarely apply to Main Arena play.  :D

But i have always said that the training system could use something like this to keep the training event realistic and interesting.

Seriously, don't we think that the trainies want to see things blow up? :aok

If we dont give it to them..they will just show up in the MA's, ill trained, just to see the explosions. :D