Author Topic: What are the German planes good for anyway...  (Read 1861 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What are the German planes good for anyway...
« on: February 15, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
hmmm

- US planes can out perform the German planes from mid to hi alt.
- Soviet planes can out perform and run away German planes at low alt.
- British planes are just as fast as Germans but still get out-turned, out-climbed, and out-gunned
- Japanese planes will eat them alive in dogfights, it's not even a contest.

This sounds like other air forces can beat the Germans with ease.  Actually it took 3 air forces (US/USSR/UK) to beat the Germans!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:14:53 PM by 1K3 »

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
they make a good accessory to my leather underwear
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:46 PM »
*sniff*
*swims away from stinky bait.*

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »
What good is the P-40? What good is the A6m? What good, for that matter, is the SBD? The TBM?

The real thing existed in the war, so it exists in this game. Especially when the 190s/109s were a major player in the war.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: What are the German planes good for anyway...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
In early-war, the 109E is very competitive - fast, good climb, decent guns for the period, will surprise most Spit 5 drivers.  A decent 110C pilot should be able to dominate any of the other non-perked rides in this arena.

In mid-war, it's tough to beat the 109F once its pilot becomes familiar with it.  Same for the 190A5.

In late-war, the K-4 is a handful, even for the La7.

Seems to me, though, that all of the German planes are just a bit tricky to fly, trickier to land hits with, and require a lot of pilot familiarity before they can be used effectively.  I think this is one of their attractions - they're challenging to fly well.

- oldman

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
For RL purposes see above post. For AH purposes I would say that the german planes are the best planes for energy fighting, I say this because 90% of them have a 4kpm climb rate and can out accelerate Most planes thus making them good choices for energy fighting.  On the other hand we have the american rides, turn pretty well with flaps, can't accelerate past anything, relatively fast, can take a dive.  And japenese planes have good flying characteristics except that they are made out of aluminium and can't take a dive.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: What are the German planes good for anyway...
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
A decent 110C pilot should be able to dominate any of the other non-perked rides in this arena

Only because our version of the Bf110C-4 is equipped with more powerful engines that the vadt, vast majority of Bf110s were in reality.

As I recall, there were less than 20 Bf110Cs with these engines in reality.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:37:25 PM »
German planes are good for the more experienced players to show what they are made of :cool:

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »
*swims away from stinky bait.*

LOL Bronk.

Hmmm, Chuck Yeager was reputed to have said FW-190 the best plane he ever flew (presumably after war when he got his hands on one)

Since this is a WW2 sim, would be kindof odd to leave out German planes don't you think?

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »
the 109's were mainly designed to 'bnz',
and shoot down buffs, not to engage spitfires and hurri's,

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
hmmm

- British planes are just as fast as Germans but still get out-turned, out-climbed, and out-gunned

This sounds like other air forces can beat the Germans with ease.  Actually it took 3 air forces (US/USSR/UK) to beat the Germans!

Hmmm....

- German planes can out perform the US planes at low alt.
- German planes can out perform and run away from Soviet planes at medium to high alt.
- German planes are just as fast as British, and can out-roll, out-climb, and have more devastating cannons
- Japanese planes will be eaten alive in energy fighting and boom and zoom fighting. It's not even a contest.

This sounds like the other air forces can be beaten by the Germans with ease! Actually, it took 3 air forces (US/USSR/UK) to beat the Germans!

See? It works both ways. =P
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »
^ flys for the bish

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
Watching the 30mm cannons on the FW190-A8 and the TA-152 rip bombers to shreds from D600 with only a few hits is a thing of beauty (not to mention what they'll do to an enemy fighter).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 01:45:56 PM »
...Quite possibly the oddest topic I have seen...

...What German planes are you flying 1K3...?

...Been playing 14 months and have flown only German Iron.  Finnally to a point where no planes dominate me.  Comes down to the pilots.  Skill, luck and pilot errors are the factors for me now...

I think Oldman is spot on.  Once you get comfy in them and learn how to hit with them they are as effective as any other.  Mistake people make is taking up a 190 and flying it like it was a Spit.  Fly German Iron the way it was intended to be flown and things will be allright.

I am at 98 kills on 20 deaths (fighter) this tour in German rides.  Not impressive but also not...worthless.:noid
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
hmmm

Very poor bait, but I'll nibble.

You are comparing Late War Allied planes coming from an expanding war machine to Late War German planes that came from a bombed, burned, and mostly destroyed war machine.  A fact shown by difference in ENY... only 4 German (1 jet, 1 rocket) and 1 Japanese planes have ENY of 10 or less. Only 1 additional German and Japanese plane have ENY of 15.  

Try an Early War match up.  Or even comparable ENY match-up.

Additionally, for pilots that can actually Fly, rather than be dependent on the abilities of their plane to see them through, use of high ENY planes such as the 109G-2, 109G-6, 190F-8, the K-4, the G-14 (all over 20 ENY) ---- can earn you more perk points per sortie due to perk point modifier.... especially when you are fighting La-7's, Spit's XVI, Pony-D's, P-47N, Hurri-IIC, Typhies, and C-Hogs (and even N1K2's....all under 10 ENY).

Land kills in a Spit XVI... big deal.  Land kills in a P40E or 109F4..... that's something.   Most players are dependent on Late War Allied rides (and N1K2's) in this game.