Author Topic: hitech 163 to gamey pls fix  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
hitech 163 to gamey pls fix
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
I dont think that it was common practice to shut off the engine of a 109 or 190 in the middle of a hard break turn either, but i see it done in here on occasion.

If you were to have a time lag of even 5-10 seconds on all planes from engine off to on I think it would stop.

shamus

I like it Shamus:aok :aok

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
I upped a rocket the other day and was trying to save fuel, so I cut throttle down quite a bit.  A few seconds later, the engine shut down.  I said, dmn out of fuel???  I then hit the E button and it started back up!  :confused:
Mark

Sky, I've noticed that the 163 hates negative G. If you get into a negative G move, a lot of times the engine will stall.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
Say whatever you like, Herr Viking.  The fact is that the Komet's fuel was quite deadly, and you omitted that fact and called the crate "perfectly safe."  If my pointing that out is cow poo, then so be it.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 11:26:20 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Say whatever you like, Herr Viking.  The fact is that the Komet's fuel was quite deadly, and you omitted that fact and called the crate "perfectly safe."  If my pointing that out is cow poo, then so be it.

Gasoline isn't a particularly safe fuel either as many pilots have found out the hard way, but we don't call planes and vehicles unsafe because of it. And your Nazi remarks say more about your character than mine.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
Gasoline is a normal, unavoidable, and accepted risk in modern transportation.  Dangerously unstable and corrosive fuel is not.  Ask anyone if he would object to having his automobile or airplane converted to burn flesh-burning fuel instead of gasoline, and see if he thinks it's "perfectly safe."

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 12:17:03 AM »
Gasoline is a normal, unavoidable, and accepted risk in modern transportation.

Ox manure. Diesel is a much safer fuel than gasoline and won’t even burn at room temperature. You can put out a lit match in it.

Dangerously unstable …

More ox manure. The fuel was perfectly stable and transported by train and truck.

[Dangerously] corrosive

Even more ox manure. Common hair bleach contains about 10% hydrogen peroxide. T-stoff contained 80% Hydrogen peroxide and 20% water. 8 times hair bleach is not dangerously corrosive, but it will ruin your clothing. Actually battery acid is more corrosive than T-stoff.

Ask anyone if he would object to having his automobile or airplane converted to burn flesh-burning fuel instead of gasoline, and see if he thinks it's "perfectly safe."

Completely irrelevant. Ask a jet pilot if he would fly a gasoline powered jet plane.

Edit: And those will be my final words on this matter as this discussion is quickly turning into a pissing contest ... as discussions with you always do. Good night sir.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 12:28:44 AM by Viking »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 12:28:46 AM »
Originally posted by ghi
Watch this movie, Me163 shows clear the liquid fuel+trottle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk31Lmkz170

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOE29fW8yCk&mode=related&search=

It's not the fact you can adjust the speed via throttle on the Komet, I think what TwinBoom is getting at is the gamey feature of being able to turn on and off the Komet's engines while in flight to save on gas so you can extend the range.  IIRC, you could not do that in real life in the Komet.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »
Your efforts to make a dangerous substance look safe reveal much about your own character.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 02:19:41 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
It's not the fact you can adjust the speed via throttle on the Komet, I think what TwinBoom is getting at is the gamey feature of being able to turn on and off the Komet's engines while in flight to save on gas so you can extend the range.  IIRC, you could not do that in real life in the Komet.

ack-ack

At a low throttle setting (~40% full throttle) you can fly the 163 2-3 sectors, get in a reasonably extended fight then climb for alt and glide all the way back to the 163 base without ever turning off the engine (until it runs out of fuel on your final climb).  You do, however, have to use autopilot or elevator at that throttle setting to maintain level flight but it's still faster than anything else in the game.

As an aside to the comment above regarding it's docility at stall speeds I've flown the 163 out and played turn fighter in it at 20% or less throttle and it is a very good handling plane at typical prop-plane stall fighting speeds.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 05:18:17 AM »
FYI it is possible to take off with a Me-163, not drop the gear, set climb speed fairly low around 200. Climb and  glide to a front line base, land, taxi, refuel and take off again. Key is to keep speed low so you don't rip the gear off. You'll need that gear if you want to taxi to rearm pad.

Not necessarily easy, but possible.

Love the way it fly's, just could never hit anything with the spud guns.

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 09:46:46 AM »
What Nilsen said;)
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline TwrATM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
Doing some research and found this article...

The plane was built around the HWK 509A rocket motor, which combined hydrogen peroxide and a mixture of hydrazine hydrate, methyl alcohol, water and cupracyanide. These chemicals reacted explosively to generate 3,748 pounds of thrust, enough power to give the Me163 a climb rate of 16,080 feet per minute. Upon launch, the plane dropped its two-wheel dolly and shot skyward. The small fighter could only carry enough fuel for seven and a half minutes of powered flight; the pilots would slash through allied formations, turn off the engine when all was safe, and glide to conserve fuel. The engine could be restarted safely after two minutes; otherwise, spontaneous explosion was again a problem. When the fuel ran out, the Me163 glided back to base.

I am trying to confirm this...will let ya know if I find anything.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
Here's a link to the article mentioned by Viking above.  It's a very good read.

http://www.flightjournal.com/articles/me163/me163_1.asp

I found this part near the end to be particularily interesting:

_____________________________ _____________________________ __

When supersonic flow begins to appear on a wing or tail surface, the aerodynamic center moves aft, causing a nose-down pitching moment. As the Mach number increases, a shock wave forms at the aft boundary of the supersonic-flow bubble. When the shock gets strong enough it will cause the airflow to separate aft of the shock, leading to a loss of lift. This condition is called “shock stall.”

On the Me 163, the combination of the aft shift in aerodynamic center and shock stall led to a dangerous condition known as “Mach tuck.” If the Mach number exceeded approximately 0.85, the airplane would begin to nose down on its own. The pilot would naturally react by pulling on the stick and deflecting the elevons upward. This would cause a shock wave to form on the underside of the wing at the elevon hinge line. The elevons would shock stall and be unable to bring the nose up, causing the airplane to pitch over into an ever-steepening dive. The only hope for recovery was to wait until the airplane had dived to a lower altitude where the speed of sound is higher, thus reducing Mach number, and the elevons would regain effectiveness.

_____________________________ _____________________________ __

This is precisly what happened to me approching 40K chasing a Pony and I didn't get control again until under 10K.  That tells me that HT and staff have done a magnificent job in modeling this craft.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
I upped a rocket the other day and was trying to save fuel, so I cut throttle down quite a bit.  A few seconds later, the engine shut down.  I said, dmn out of fuel???  I then hit the E button and it started back up!  :confused:
Mark

neg G's kills the engine sometimes.

Originally posted by BaldEagl
The 163's engine cuts out under negative G's.  If, in fact, thats what the real ones did, and I can only assume that the in-game version is modeled after the real thing, then I would assume they had a way of re-firing the engine.

As to getting one to 45K, I chased a P-51 to almost 40K in one one day.  At ~38K it started to shudder and slightly above that it went into a death stall that I wasn't able to get contol of again until I was under 10K.  I'm not arguing your ex-pilots recollection, just pointing out the 163's limit in the game.

I love flying the 163.  Leave it alone.

in the DA i once had a dogfight in a 163 at 90k. Im not jokin either..... couldnt see the ground. 100k seemed to be max alt (i crashed into something)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:09:24 PM by Anyone »

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
This should clear up any and all misconceptions about the Me163

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.walker6/komet/flight/flight4.htm
Retired