Author Topic: SIG p226  (Read 537 times)

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
SIG p226
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:42:21 PM »
Often read the weapon debates and wonder why this piece of equipment never comes up?
It might not be "Sexy" etc but I can assure you it's probably the best you will ever use.
I used it all over the place in different terrains and never had a single issue with it.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: SIG p226
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco
Often read the weapon debates and wonder why this piece of equipment never comes up?
It might not be "Sexy" etc but I can assure you it's probably the best you will ever use.
I used it all over the place in different terrains and never had a single issue with it.

Glad to hear a good report.  Been looking at many pistols in the Sig line for a concealed carry weapon.  239 is tempting, as is 229.

Either .40 SW or .45acp would be a good choice.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Helrazr1

• Copper Member
Re: SIG p226
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco

Got one, and love it.  Probably in my top 3 of all time favorite handguns of all time.  It is finished in Nickle, and chambered in 9mm.  The story goes that this particular 226 was manufactured in 1993 for the U.S. Army for some sort of special parade detail.  Apparently they found a different weopen at a cheper price that they went with instead, so these were released for sale to the general public.  Apperently very hard to find.  Not sure how much truth there is to the story, but after I purchased the gun, the guy at the firearms dealership where I bought it called me at home just to let me know that I got a great deal, and why.

storch

SIG p226
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:54:40 PM »
I had a 226 in my younger days (20+ years ago).  easy to port around with you, reliable and accurate.  I had to pawn it to make a car payment.  I never bought another sig though, no fault with the weapon or the manufacturer.  I replaced that pistol with an S&W model 411 because it was cheaper.  the neat thing about the 411 is that no one can shoot with it accurately but I can because I shoot it lots.  I occasionally shoot with some FBI guys and I laugh as they still try to hit with it and can't.  my brother bought a P220 which is the reason I went out and bought my kimber.  I think the next 9mm I'll get will be an H&K MP5.  the reason I don't like the 226 is because the 9mm is an anaemic round, not that .40SW is too much better.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
SIG p226
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »
The 226 is a fine weapon.  I don't have experience with a wide variety of handguns, but I've put over 5000 rounds through 226's for police training with no problems.  In our academy we had the choice of glocks, sigs, S&W's, or berettas.  We had a day at the range on each, and then could use whatever we wanted from there on out.  9 out of the 11 of us took sigs.  Both of the top shooters in the academy (me being one ;) ) shot sigs.  I was very happy when I was hired at a department that uses .40 226's.  I can't say a single bad thing about them, once you're trained to instinctively use the decocking lever and get used to the DA/SA trigger.  

I have a 239 .40 as a concealed/off duty weapon... again, can't say a bad thing about it.

Offline namvet

• Zinc Member
SIG p226
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »
We use it all the time in the SEALs.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
SIG p226
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
226 is a great gun! For the price their are some other pistols i would look at but it comes down to what feels best in your hand. Shot a 226 the other day and my only complaint was the trigger. Don't let that discourage anybody because i compare all pistol triggers to my STI Edge..

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
SIG p226
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
SIg's are a great handgun.  You cannot go wrong with one.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
SIG p226
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about getting one for home defence etc, there's been a few breakins round here recently, thing is, I'm not sure if my wife would be able to operate it correctly and so might have to get something a bit more "dumbed down"

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
SIG p226
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:06:58 PM »
Remington 870 pump!

storch

SIG p226
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »
mossberg 500. better, stronger action. or the 590 also.

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
SIG p226
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »
Were issured the 226 DK, had a straight 226 before that.  Fine weapon, I would recomend it to anyone.

even the navy seals.....

storch

SIG p226
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant the baby seals not the navy seals.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
SIG p226
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 12:31:55 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
SIg's are a great handgun.  You cannot go wrong with one.

Yup, even I have one :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
SIG p226
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
I don't really have any use for a 9mm but the sigs are very nice handguns.  

They simply don't do anything any better than my Kimber single stack 45.    If you are going to lug something as heavy as a sig or Kimber around then the kimber is hard to beat.

I have shot lots of semi autos that are good...  I am not a real semi auto fan tho..  they throw away the brass and jam and have a very narrow power range and brass that is weak compared to say..  the 44 mag and larger revolver rounds.

If I must have a semi auto then I will have the Kimber in 45...  tempting to get one in .357 sig..   HK, sig all fine guns but why bother?   Might as well use the much simpler 1911 style Kimber.   I also like 22 semi autos but haven't had one other than a conversion kit for my CZ 75 clone in years.

lazs