Author Topic: Zone Alarm help  (Read 570 times)

Fuzzybunny

Zone Alarm help
« on: December 06, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
Just installed Zone Alarm and I am unable to start AH without locking up. Is there anyway to allow AH before running it?? Any advice?

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
This is a common prob.

Open up Zone alarm, and look in the "programs" window. Make sure you give AH permission to do everything (right click it); you don't want any question marks in that window, because they mean ZA will ask you if it's ok for AH to access the net, and you can't see the dialogue box to say "yeah, let me on now, dammit!" becuase AH is over the top of the dialog box.

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Seeker:
This is a common prob.

Open up Zone alarm, and look in the "programs" window. Make sure you give AH permission to do everything (right click it); you don't want any question marks in that window, because they mean ZA will ask you if it's ok for AH to access the net, and you can't see the dialogue box to say "yeah, let me on now, dammit!" becuase AH is over the top of the dialog box.

Along these same lines.......I also have zone alarm and have given permission for AH and RW both.  However while AH will work fine, RW does not.  I can hear whats going on in RW but I can't transmit.  Does this have something to do with opening ports 2000-3000?  If it does how does one open those ports...i.e. where do I find them to open them?

Zap

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
Zaph I use ZA and have no problems w/RW as far as ZA goes.

As far as AH locking up say after a new patch this is what you do. After you install your patch goto the PROGRAMS tab of your ZA. Then in the upper right hand cornor click on ADVANCED, NOT the advanced for that program, but the one that covers EVERYTHING. Click on the allow everything options...there's like 4 of them. Then startup AH, going into MA and ALT-TAB out. Then reset the ADVANCED TAB to how ever you orginaly had it. You MIGHT have to delete the AH under programs before the 1st step I mentioned but I doubt it.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
The system isn't actually locked up, AH is just on top of the pop up window.  Sometimes you can alt tab to the desktop and use the keyboard to click yes (allow AH to access the internet).  Once you get that go into zonealarm and check the "changes frequency" option for AH to keep it from happening again with after a patch or new version of AH is installed.

HT posted the exact key sequence to push a while back (maybe in the patch 6 readme).

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2001, 01:21:00 AM »
changes frequently is only for the zone alarm pro version the free version dont have that.
So u have to trick around to get it working, i usually had 3 reboots after each patch to get it working  :(
so i got zone alarm pro instead, and now it is working fine.

airguard

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2001, 01:54:00 AM »
I am using the free version of Zone Alarm v2.6.88 and I have the "changes frequently" option.  Just right click on the the aceshigh.exe entry under programs.

F.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Furious:
I am using the free version of Zone Alarm v2.6.88 and I have the "changes frequently" option.  Just right click on the the aceshigh.exe entry under programs.

F.

thanks
wasn't aware of that option via right clicking
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline doug69

• Zinc Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2001, 07:07:00 AM »
I can't find any of the buttons or right clicks referenced above in the free version of ZA.

However...I found another workaround.  Right click the desktop startup icon for AH and select properties.  In the "Run" box select minimized.  Hit OK to accept and then run AH.  This will allow the ZA window to be visible so you can authorize.

Once you accomplish this, go back and change the run option to normal window.

Hope this helps...

Offline DES

• Copper Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall per someone's recomendation here and it works great. It's free for personal use like ZA and after an update it minimizes AH so i can give it permision to access the internet. After patch 5i was unable to get into AH with ZA no matter how many reboots i did.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Zone Alarm help
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Tiny personal firewall (www.tinysoftware.com) lets you configure things port by port, I like it much more than ZA free version. Tiny is free.