Author Topic: hiroshima recreation  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »
"Should have" by Icelandic logic yes, not by Japanese logic ... or American or Russian or pretty much any other nation that has seen war the last 1000 years. You don't surrender just because it will save lives, or even if there is no chance of victory. You surrender when the enemy proves he has the will to follow through and pay the price in lives to conquer you. Until that time there is always the possibility of a bargained peace. The Germans had little choice in fighting to the last man; they made that very clear when they conducted a war of extermination against the Russians. A no quarters asked or given war that would only end in the total destruction of one side. In many ways the Americans and British saved Germany and the German people from the (just) revenge of the Russians.

Should the British have surrendered in 1940 before the BoB when nobody seriously believed Britain could survive with her armies defeated in France? Should the Russians have surrendered when the Germans were attacking Moscow and even Stalin had lost all hope?

By Icelandic logic, yes. However I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:04:16 AM by Viking »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
Giving up is not in the Japanese and American national character. (Or Russian or German for that matter).

That character seems to be reserved for the French....
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
Don't worry, I know I have HIS respect.

Yep, he "respects" himself a lot. Almost every day he "respects" the heck outta himself.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
I love to hear the revisionist whine.  It makes me laugh.  

Truman was 100% correct when he dropped bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.  In doing so, he saved many thousands of American lives.  Personally I do not give one rats iota of the cost the war cost Japan.  They were cruel to the point of being inhuman during the war in the Pacific.  Their choice was to wage a war against the US.  That choice got them just what they deserved.  Someone else said earlier that the majority of nations do not surrender until the proof of brutal domination is shown them.  That is 100% correct.  Japan would not have surrendered at all without this show of brutal force.  As it was, the Japanese would have resisted a land invasion and lost millions to combat and suicide.  Truman and the generals were smarter than that.  Why risk Americans when instead you can devestate their country from the air.  Plus, one more little nifty bonus comes out of it.  The rest of the world will get to see the end price of a war against America.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2007, 10:53:52 AM »
The atomic bomb discussion is a moot point in my opinion.  Whether the U.S. used atomic bombs or incendiary bombs is just a technicality.  The decision to bomb cities had been made in 1943, and was continuing at the time of the Hiroshima bombing.  Japanese cities were especially vulnerable to fire bombings due to the wooden/bamboo construction of houses and buildings.  

So debating whether the atomic bomb should have been dropped is really a debate on whether cities should have been bombed.  The USAF decided in 1943 that they should.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that more people would have died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki if normal nighttime B-29 raids with incendiary bombs were carried out.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »
nice to see shrimp "going out on a limb" and using basic logic.  I agree.

The thing about atomics that seperates them from Incindiary or General Purpose munitions is the lifelong battle against radiation poisoning that so many japanese had to endure AFTER japan surrendered.  I believe Japanese today still suffer from the effects of radiation.  The Japanese would have done well to surrender at Midway.  Could have avoided all sorts of suffering for everyone.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
Does anyone remember whenthe nut bags threw chicken blood on the Enola Gay fuselage after it was unveiled in that horrid revisionist setting at the Smithsonian?

It would be nice to have a time machine to take these "revisionists" back to WW2 and drop them on a japanese held island so they could enjoy the novelties of being a prisoner of those cretins.  Even better, let them sit in on meetings between the japanese and the US Secretary of State while the japs were speaking all about peace and instead preparing to back stab us.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
GShulz, I mean Viking.   Why are you so filled with hate, and full of chit?   It got you PNG'd before.  

I have NO PITY for Japan.   They STARTED IT, the Allies FINISHED IT.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
GShulz, I mean Viking.   Why are you so filled with hate, and full of chit?   It got you PNG'd before.  

I have NO PITY for Japan.   They STARTED IT, the Allies FINISHED IT.

What are you on about now? I haven't said nuking Japan was wrong. Why are you so full of [insert colorful language]?

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
There should be no war except for total war.  Otherwise there is no need to fight.

Total war now is much more frightening.  With very little effort, millions of innocent people can be indiscriminately exterminated.  Luckily the lessons of WWII have made the consequences of total war clear.  Rational countries have decided that total war is no longer an option.  Hiroshima, as gruesome as it was, had to happen, otherwise it might have played out on another battlefield by the USA or some other power on likely a much larger scale.  My fear is that less morally responsible countries might not have learned the lessons of the past.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2007, 06:01:27 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
"Should have" by Icelandic logic yes, not by Japanese logic ... or American or Russian or pretty much any other nation that has seen war the last 1000 years. You don't surrender just because it will save lives, or even if there is no chance of victory. You surrender when the enemy proves he has the will to follow through and pay the price in lives to conquer you. Until that time there is always the possibility of a bargained peace. The Germans had little choice in fighting to the last man; they made that very clear when they conducted a war of extermination against the Russians. A no quarters asked or given war that would only end in the total destruction of one side. In many ways the Americans and British saved Germany and the German people from the (just) revenge of the Russians.

Should the British have surrendered in 1940 before the BoB when nobody seriously believed Britain could survive with her armies defeated in France? Should the Russians have surrendered when the Germans were attacking Moscow and even Stalin had lost all hope?

By Icelandic logic, yes. However I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then.

If you call my logic Icelandic, I am proud to follow it up, and you are full of some funny crap my friend. I am not going to call your logic Norse.

Now....to your speculations.
Here:
"You surrender when the enemy proves he has the will to follow through and pay the price in lives to conquer you"
If Hiroshima is not enough, how stupid are you?
(Japanese decided to fight on after Hiroshima)
Should the Germans have surrendered when the Western Allies had gathered foothold on the continent of Europe?
Yes, absolutely, the game was very obviously over, and typical for Germany, her finest commanders realized, while the ******s in command remained in enough power to keep the nonsense going.
As you say this which....:
" Until that time there is always the possibility of a bargained peace. The Germans had little choice in fighting to the last man; they made that very clear when they conducted a war of extermination against the Russians"
Is nothing but Hitler's side. Again, Some of Hitler's finest commanders realized that while there were fronts and armies, and expensive battles to be fought, there was still something possible for the bargain. But Hitler's crew, to the dismay of mankind, managed to rule. So, Germany had both the choice and the gritty end to face.
Then on to this one:
"Should the British have surrendered in 1940 before the BoB when nobody seriously believed Britain could survive with her armies defeated in France?"
Well, you know the famous "Some neck, - some chicken". SOMEBODY, markedly Britain, belived they could survive. Hitler declared that the war was won, yet he could not pass the high seas to pick up goods, say from America. (Business was open until 1941).
And onwards:
"In many ways the Americans and British saved Germany and the German people from the (just) revenge of the Russians."
Yes they did....sort of. Here you quickly enter the enjoyable world of what-if's. For instance, had the British decided to step down and yet holding their head (apeal to reason deal) in 1940, the Russians would have been (IMHO) on the receiving end of pax germanica. Anyway, the western allies did what they did, and the iron curtain fell where it fell. It might have been at the Atlantic, or none at all....all what-if's.
As for the USSR buckling from Hitler, - well, they had a lot of ground. With Moscow fallen, I guess they'd have buckled, and Hitler was only some miles short. All in the what-if park.
Then to this one:
"I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then."
Firstly, this is a troll. And secondly, a malicious and stupid one. This is an attack through nationality. Well, suits your style
.. Anyway, for your info, Icelanders actually fired live ammo (19th century 50 mm cannon) at and into British ship-sides in 1976, in a fight about FISH.
And thank god, Icelanders did indeed scratch some LW and Wehrmacht persons in WW2 without invitation to the game. So, returning your words, maybe you should have Icelanders look after your airport ?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Plus, one more little nifty bonus comes out of it.  The rest of the world will get to see the end price of a war against America.

bonus? you sure? why not bomb iraq, afghanistan and even maybe north korea then ? today terrorists will understand it and leave of course.
what you dont understand is, this kind of bombs allways hit
innocent people, and i mean ALOT people, no matter what kind of war.
And you and some others here sounds very proud of it.
Dont be surprised to see future attacks where only what counts is
as much as possible civillians terminated...
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
If Hiroshima is not enough, how stupid are you?
(Japanese decided to fight on after Hiroshima)

How little you know. It takes time for a nation to decide on such grave matters as surrender. On August 9, 1945 three days after, and as a direct result of, the bombing of Hiroshima the Japanese leadership gathered in Tokyo to re-discuss the American peace proposal known as the Potsdam Declaration. During the meeting news came that the Americans has also destroyed Nagasaki. That same evening the Japanese decided to accept the American terms of surrender.

As I have tried (in vain) to explain to you in excruciatingly simple terms this was the Japanese goal prior to the atomic bombings:

"We can no longer direct the war with any hope of success. The only course left is for Japan's one hundred million people to sacrifice their lives by charging the enemy to make them lose the will to fight."

- War Journal of the Imperial Headquarters

Even if you no longer can win the war defeat is not inevitable. The atomic bombs changed that for the Japanese.
As for your “stupid” remark, it is just one more example of your lack of civility.

Should the Germans have surrendered when the Western Allies had gathered foothold on the continent of Europe?
Yes, absolutely, the game was very obviously over, and typical for Germany, her finest commanders realized, while the ******s in command remained in enough power to keep the nonsense going.

No the ”game” was not over. Germany should have made the Allies pay dearly for every meter gained in France, showing the Allies how costly the invasion of Germany would be. Then when the Allies approached Germany they should have sued the Western Allies for peace in hope of them offering protection from the Russians. We all know Hitler didn’t do this.

" Until that time there is always the possibility of a bargained peace. The Germans had little choice in fighting to the last man; they made that very clear when they conducted a war of extermination against the Russians"
Is nothing but Hitler's side. Again, Some of Hitler's finest commanders realized that while there were fronts and armies, and expensive battles to be fought, there was still something possible for the bargain. But Hitler's crew, to the dismay of mankind, managed to rule. So, Germany had both the choice and the gritty end to face.

You’re proving my point. How kind of you.

"Should the British have surrendered in 1940 before the BoB when nobody seriously believed Britain could survive with her armies defeated in France?"
Well, you know the famous "Some neck, - some chicken". SOMEBODY, markedly Britain, belived they could survive. Hitler declared that the war was won, yet he could not pass the high seas to pick up goods, say from America. (Business was open until 1941).

Again you prove my point. Britain’s defeat to Germany was only averted by the British will to fight, and the German unwillingness to suffer the losses necessary to win.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

-Sir Winston Churchill

"In many ways the Americans and British saved Germany and the German people from the (just) revenge of the Russians."
Yes they did....sort of. Here you quickly enter the enjoyable world of what-if's. For instance, had the British decided to step down and yet holding their head (apeal to reason deal) in 1940, the Russians would have been (IMHO) on the receiving end of pax germanica. Anyway, the western allies did what they did, and the iron curtain fell where it fell. It might have been at the Atlantic, or none at all....all what-if's.
As for the USSR buckling from Hitler, - well, they had a lot of ground. With Moscow fallen, I guess they'd have buckled, and Hitler was only some miles short. All in the what-if park.
Then to this one:
"I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then."
Firstly, this is a troll. And secondly, a malicious and stupid one. This is an attack through nationality. Well, suits your style
.. Anyway, for your info, Icelanders actually fired live ammo (19th century 50 mm cannon) at and into British ship-sides in 1976, in a fight about FISH.
And thank god, Icelanders did indeed scratch some LW and Wehrmacht persons in WW2 without invitation to the game. So, returning your words, maybe you should have Icelanders look after your airport ?

I was talking historical fact. You seem more interested in theoretical nonsense. Suits your style.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2007, 08:59:25 PM »
allright..

how about everybody call it a draw?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
Total war now is much more frightening.  With very little effort, millions of innocent people can be indiscriminately exterminated.  Luckily the lessons of WWII have made the consequences of total war clear.  Rational countries have decided that total war is no longer an option.  Hiroshima, as gruesome as it was, had to happen, otherwise it might have played out on another battlefield by the USA or some other power on likely a much larger scale.  My fear is that less morally responsible countries might not have learned the lessons of the past.

Bull****.  Every single war since ww2 has been won with total war as well.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"