Author Topic: New fliers observation on AH, IL2, TW  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
New fliers observation on AH, IL2, TW
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:01 PM »
Some one wrote..
With properly-saved head positions, most aircraft can keep an eye on the enemy at all times. If not, a quick roll or bank fixes the problem by bringing the enemy into view.

OK, now I may end up making this game the one I move to.  But above raises a question.  I have TrackIR.  Do I care about any of the 'saved head position'?  
I never thought much about making any because I do have TrackIR.

And Kweasse - out standing logic without resorting to emotion or 'it is better because I like it'.

It may all be a learning curve.  Thing is, I can hop into an IL-2 game (with external views)  and be able to get three kills in a half hour (not telling how many kills I give).  I can't have that kind of good time yet in AH.  

Any videos of AH with a knife fight?  I would love to see some (no sarcasm).

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »
Originally posted by Uriah
Some one wrote..

Do I care about any of the 'saved head position'?  

Not really.  I have them all set because I flew so many years without TIR and already have all my head positions set.  I do find them handy sometimes though when my TIR is misbehaving and I decide to turn it off or I'm JABO bombing and don't want it on then.  I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of setting all that up if I hadn't already done that though.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 11:05:34 PM »
Some one wrote..

OK, now I may end up making this game the one I move to.  But above raises a question.  I have TrackIR.  Do I care about any of the 'saved head position'?  

A

If no vector than yes it makes a diff.
If you have vector only when it acts up.(like homeboy said)

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 05:33:51 AM »

Any videos of AH with a knife fight?  I would love to see some (no sarcasm).

well, I have yet to find one showing the Troops infiltrating the map room, attacking  a hidden downed pilot who is holding them off with his AH issued .45...... and them troops never seem to lower their M1's or use the bayonet attached to them.

I have found it unsuccessful to unstrap my AH-military issued KABAR, as well when ever I have had to bail out and defend off the LTARS advancement .......

what good is a bayonet or AH issued KABAR if I can not get the dang sheath strap to unbutton?   I been dreaming of a knife fight since I got here  :noid

( seriously, Uriah, pop into a KOTH tournyment  tomorrow at 3pm est Friday March 9th, or Sat. March 24th at 9pm est, you might find a few knife fights and be able to view them 1st hand. And if you use the search function, you can find some good films and movies/videos of others in some good knife fights))
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 06:06:02 AM »
II use outside views for situation awareness and help in spotting where I am in relation to an opponent.

The one thing that imo separates the good pilot from the not so good is learning good SA. If you have that, and take advantage of it then there should really not be a need to get yourself in a position were you need to use your defencive ACM. Not everyone will agree with me on that i imagine and would rate a person with good ACM higher than one with good SA, but that is how i feel. :)

If you get a person on your six then your SA has not been good enough. It happens often if you get targets fixation. If you could then employ the highly unrealistic external view then learnig proper SA would be less uesfull and we would have more of an arcade game.

I hope they at one point will eliminate external views in bombers too cause they already have enough views from their gunnery positions. in real life i doubt the bomber crews could use external views when scanning for interceptors.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »

By the way, those of you who like the 'inside only' play, how long can you have a 'knife fight'?

SkyRock<-------owns knife fights!:aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 08:08:33 AM »
I am sure outside views would ruin the game for many of you.  Just no need to 'ruin' it for me.  I use outside views for situation awareness and help in spotting where I am in relation to an opponent.  When I am chasing or running away I am in the cockpit with spit second 'looks' from the outside view to my opponent (or just where is the ground?).  It's those split second looks that give me a much better sense of where I am in the virtual world.  I take the old stand that such looks give a virtual pilot a closer sense of what is going on as a real pilot in a real plane would have.  I am not alone in this view.  One of my friends is a long time pilot and a sim player and he holds this view too.  I am not saying you all are wrong, just let me have what I want.  You can have what you want too.

I don't have time to play many of these games.  I have to pick one and get good at it.  As I have said before, AH has some things I really like.  That is why I bother.  

By the way, those of you who like the 'inside only' play, how long can you have a 'knife fight'?

First of all your in a loosing arguement from the start. Might as well give it up now cause there is no way your getting an arena with outside views available in fighters in any of the MAs. HTC has already made that pretty clear

Secondly, While it may have some aspects of arcadish type play. (usually player generated) This isnt an arcade game. Its a combat simulation. IRL  dont get an external view unless you bail out.. Same goes here.

Thirdly Yes having an external view would give you a closer sense of where you are in relation to your opponent. But it would also give you a closer view then you would have as an actual pilot inasmuch as actual pilots dont have an external view.  While in some planes. the view in some planes like the 109s and 190s  from the inside  may leave a bit something to be desired by and large Actual pilot get the same views as you get in the game. Meaning you cant see through solid objects such as the nose of the aircraft, the fuselage, and wings to see whats on the other side and where. Which is exactly what you would get if you had external views.

Fourthly You can call it an "old stand" all you want. But having external views gives you not the same sense as a real pilot would have. but an added sense that real pilots dont have. Because.... Shhhh dont tell anyone this secret now.
They cant see what it looks like from the outside from the inside of an aircraft

Not anymore then having an external view in an arcade car game  gives you a better feel of what its like to drive a car it doesnt. Trust me I've driven cars for over 20 years now I know what it feels like to be driving from inside one . And I've played some of those games.
Viewing from the outside in no way,shape or form gives you a sense of what its like to actually drive a car nearly as much as it does from playing the game with an inside view only.

that being said. your "friend" is either
(a)- Not a real pilot
(b) - A complete idiot
(c)- Both

You can let him choose :cool:

Bottom line is if you really want to have external views. Your only available options are as have already been mentioned , The training arena, one of the free H2YH arenas. Or one of the other games that does allow it.

If you want to get a sense for what a real pilot has the ability and inability to sense. Then fly the MA and leanr how to and get used to having to have your head on a pivot  and to leanr ot get a sense of perspective and just where you are in relation to other things just like the honest to goodness real pilots did.

BTW. there is a little guage in your cockpit called an altimeter. Works rather well in telling you how high off the ground is when the ground is not in view .
When the ground is visable a good rule of thumb is "when ground objects (trees, bushes,Buildings etc) are large. Ground is near.. When ground objects are small. Ground it far.

When in level flight your looking out of your cockpit and the trees are large and your looking up at them.  Your too lo.....(Crash)
;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:12:44 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
Geez.....this is a combat flight sim.  I wonder if Johnson, Meyer, Priller, or Galland stepped out of their craft in midair went 100 feet behind their 6 and flew from their?

I'm sorry external views are Arcade to me.  No immersion possible in that aspect.  Try Doom, WOW if ya want that type of gameplay.  I'm not saying this as an insult believe me but they way you are explaining this seems to me you're looking more for a first person shooter then a flight sim.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
On a practical note for no external views, If your flying outside the plane, Where is the crosshair huh? How do you know effectivly where to shoot? Ok, you can have a dmn good guess, but in internal view, you get a crosshair. Thats better than a darn guess
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
(AAAAARGH.  No wonder it didn't "take" - I posted it in the wrong thread....)

I for one would enjoy a more realistic feature set when it comes to aircraft management systems, but am willing to accept that the modeling for each aircraft needs to be "standardized" in order to allow the developers to keep the models to a manageable level of detail.  And I don't mean flight characteristics, I mean the modeling of the aircraft systems which has been simplified down to the few most important basics, and even they are often modeled in a not entirely accurate fashion.

Take a simple one... WEP.  WEP on some aircraft was simply adjusting the throttle beyond a certain stop, and the limitations on the actual amount of time that WEP could be engaged for were determined by engine temperature (with of course some relatively conservative recommended maximums designed to prevent a drastic shortening of the service lifetime of the equipment if not an outright destruction).  Other's utilized a an injection system, and when you ran out of "whatever", you were done.   Some had the ability to do both.

Other systems, such a propeller pitch, flaps, mixture controls, electrical systems, cowling and cooling flaps, hydraulic systems, and the like all varied from aircraft to aircraft such that it would be a work of tremendous magnitude to accurately portray the management of each system in the game in the fashion that it deserves.  And additionally, each model would need it's own specific documentation to allow pilots who don't have access to the original pilot's manual some sense of how to fly it.

So it would be much more difficult for the casual player, as well as a lot more work for the developers.  So while I'd prefer more realism in this area, I accept why we don't (and may never have) it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:31:22 PM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »
I am sure outside views would ruin the game for many of you. Just no need to 'ruin' it for me. I use outside views for situation awareness and help in spotting where I am in relation to an opponent. When I am chasing or running away I am in the cockpit with spit second 'looks' from the outside view to my opponent (or just where is the ground?). It's those split second looks that give me a much better sense of where I am in the virtual world.

OK your looking for immersion and feeling that you are really in a dogfight, but you want to ruin the immersion, instead of honing and relying on your SA like a real dogfight, you want some external gamey cockpit view.

Learn to live behind the stick hone your SA and you may someday realize why so many people play this game.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
SkyRock<-------owns knife fights!:aok

Mark

Only Skyrock would bring a knife to a gunfight! :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2007, 05:41:41 PM »
Uriah,

Do you know about the flight recorder option.

Press " Alt r " and a red R will show in the upper right hand corner of your monitor. The entire flight and all combat will be saved and you can review them later with the AH2 film viewer utility.  The nice thing about this is when you replay the film back you can view it from several differant perspectives including:

a)   Internal with actual view positions ( so you see exactly what you saw in the actual fight

b)  Internal were you can change to differant views to see what you may have missed.

c)  From an imaginary chase plane showing both you and the opponents planes

d)  From your opponents plane so you can see what he actually saw during the fight.  It will show the default forward view from his plane and your opponents actual views are not recorded, but you can manually check out different views from your opponents plane.

e) From a fixed position on the ground, like you were a foot soldier watching two planes dogfight overhead.

And you can tun on trails that make it easy for you to see the flight path of all planes in the battle and their roll rates.

Although this will not help you instantly while you are in the actual battle, there is no better tools in any other combat sim to be able to analize you fight after the battle is over.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:45:03 PM by richard_rd »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
You will never learn to walk, let alone run until you throw away the crutches.  We already have to many in the game already, Stall limiter, auto takeoff. We don't need another one.

How is the stall limiter and auto-take off a crutch?  Both in no way give the you any sort of advantage over any other player.  In fact, using stall limiter puts you at a disadvantage over someone not using it since you are not able to ride the edge of the envelope in your plane with stall limiter enabled.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »
Originally posted by richard_rd

d)  From your opponents plane so you can see what he actually saw during the fight.  It will show the default forward view from his plane and your opponents actual views are not recorded, but you can manually check out different views from your opponents plane.

It is important to note that this is not really the view from your opponents plane. You just moved your viewpoint to the representaion of your enemies plane on your screen.
His own position relative to you could have been quite different on his FE. So if you jump into his cockpit in film viewer, don`t be surprised if he seems to be able shoot you while apparently not having a gun solution on you.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman