Author Topic: New fliers observation on AH, IL2, TW  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
New fliers observation on AH, IL2, TW
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »
Just some thoughts from someone who has only played EAW until lately and only online for a year.

The reason I am considering AH are three.  1. You can 'see' the planes from far way.  Why the other games don't do this is beyond me.  2.  You can move your vision around the cockpit frame.  Why IL-2 series has not changed is beyond me.
3. The FM (not the plane control options like mixture, magnitos and such) see excellent to me (p38 i am thinking about).

The main issue I have with AH is there is no arena where you can have nice outside views like in EAW and CFS3 (dislike CFS3 online).  You can all talk all you want about 'archade' and such.  All I care about is having fun and making me believe I am in a dog fight.  I like to see what my plane is doing and what someone is about to do to me.  Why I don't have that as an option is beyond me.  If you don't want that for you, I have no problem with that.  If you don't want to fly with me that way, no problem.  

Lots of things are beyond me, spelling one of them.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
you can have external views ;)

it is up to the host to enable them. they are disabled in the main arenas for fighters because it gives an unfair advantage when trying to judge lead for deflection shots ;)

it's nothing to do with arcade gameplay, it's to keep the fight fair :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:20:19 PM »
True, but not one arena for those who like the full outside views with targeting and padlocking?

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
I was going to say something snooty about powerups, but I've decided
it would be counter-productive :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
The reason is to add more of a challenge. It's much easier to keep track of the enemies with external. To be completely honest, as you build up your SA you'll never miss external in that sense. It's just HTC trying to build a balance between realism and fun.

FYI: You could always veiw from the outside of the plane by filming. Of coarse it's only after action that you'll get the external veiw you're looking for.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »
If you really want outside views while dogfighting in the MA, try using an IL2 or A20.  They actually do fairly well as fighters.  A B26 is an option too.

When I started this game, I too missed the outside views.  Now that I'm used to it, i don't miss them, and honestly I think I would have lost interest and quit long ago if concessions like that were made.

Not using them yourself is a fine choice I suppose, if others could.  However, it would graetly disadvantage those who prefered to fly with the more realistic settings.

I know a few people who flew without icons enabled too.  That was craziness, especially since identifying friend from foe is impossible if all countries have access to the same planes.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »
I have a hard time understanding how anybody would be disadvantaged by having one arena with outside views.  If you know that area is that way then you are 'for warned'.  And for a 'new' person to enter the game with so many of the players so accustomed to the game and such good fighters I don't think new people stand a chance in ....

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »
If you're new, you don't stand a chance in anything, anyway. :D  

If someone can see the entire sky around them, without having to look around or maneuver, they have a pronounced advantage. That's why I personally don't care for external views. Having to keep track of the other guys, and actually work at keeping an eye on them is half the challenge.

After a few (eek, going on 6) years of AH related dweebery, I'm so accustomed to the view setup that I'm infuriated trying to play a game with a different setup.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Optiker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »
Originally posted by Uriah:

The main issue I have with AH is there is no arena where you can have nice outside views like in EAW and CFS3 (dislike CFS3 online).

Outside views are available in the Training Arena.

Optiker

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Re: New fliers observation on AH, IL2, TW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »
Originally posted by Uriah
J
The main issue I have with AH is there is no arena where you can have nice outside views like in EAW and CFS3 (dislike CFS3 online).  You can all talk all you want about 'archade' and such.  All I care about is having fun and making me believe I am in a dog fight.  

You want to be outside of your plane....to make you believe you are in a dogfight. :huh  Just like the big boys in the real fighters with their outside views?

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »
I do understand where your coming from Uriah. Im a newb as well, been playing almost a year now. I have grown used to the internal view, and the only time I actually want external view is for landing. Makes it easier, but I know its not going to happen. Ive flown IL2 as well and much as I enjoy a external view while im just flying around, Even in IL2 I found myself switching to internal view for a dogfight. I find it makes it easier. But thats just me. As for a distinct advantage, I agree. The only way to beat them is to work hard in internal view mode and get as good as good as them! Then fight them on your terms.

Just my £0.02
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
Play in an h2h room with outside views enabled, or make your own h2h room.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 11:31:29 AM »
Not having outside views in the figters is what "makes" this game.

After playing for about 4 years now, I find all other flight simulator combat type games completely unsatisfying and disapointing. I didn't realize how good AH was until I had a look at some of the PC based games. Overall none compares to the realistic feel of AH.

Outside views in fighters in the MA's would ruin the game. IMO.

Offline Uriah

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
I am sure outside views would ruin the game for many of you.  Just no need to 'ruin' it for me.  I use outside views for situation awareness and help in spotting where I am in relation to an opponent.  When I am chasing or running away I am in the cockpit with spit second 'looks' from the outside view to my opponent (or just where is the ground?).  It's those split second looks that give me a much better sense of where I am in the virtual world.  I take the old stand that such looks give a virtual pilot a closer sense of what is going on as a real pilot in a real plane would have.  I am not alone in this view.  One of my friends is a long time pilot and a sim player and he holds this view too.  I am not saying you all are wrong, just let me have what I want.  You can have what you want too.

I don't have time to play many of these games.  I have to pick one and get good at it.  As I have said before, AH has some things I really like.  That is why I bother.  

By the way, those of you who like the 'inside only' play, how long can you have a 'knife fight'?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
i had never played a game that didn't have outside views until AH and thought it would be a nightmare. only took a couple weeks and it's no big deal