Author Topic: Win 98!!, Win200!! or Win XP!!  (Read 619 times)

Offline GA

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.no
Win 98!!, Win200!! or Win XP!!
« on: October 25, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Hi guys!

I im curently running on win 98, but should i go over to Win2000 or Win-XP!!

* Who is the best OS when i usely play games!
* Is the 2000 and XP faster on net when sufring etc.!
* Can some one plz. tell my the genrel diffrent on thees OS!!

Thx ;)

Offline Pukindog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
XP is supposedly a combo of 2000 and ME.  I used it briefly and it is a very stable OS but a number of drivers like Creative's Live value have yet to be updated to support it. I ended up refomatting and loading ME back on my comp. I recommend XP but would wait a couple months until the vendors have had a chance to update drivers.  It is always a good idea to wait on new OS's anyway in order to give the vendor time to iron out the glitches.  Windows 2000 is designed more for commercial use.  Creative said the new drivers would be out Mid-October but that has come and gone.

Offline GA

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.no
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
Thx Pukindog  ;)

Offline Bart777

• Zinc Member
      • http://clik.to/jg52
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
If you are using 98 now and it is working for you, Don't mess with it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If you do decide to move to the new OS I would choose XP Pro. The XP Home edition has some major security holes that you might not like. The Pro edition however is about $100 more.

Having a machine with each of these OS's on them My choice is XP Pro. It is FAR more stable than 98 and is the replacement for both the 9x and 2k series OS's.

Send your check to Bill Gates..  :rolleyes:

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2001, 04:36:00 PM »
WARNING:  Idiotic blathering to follow

Let me start by stating the WinME is a BIG POS.  This is the worst operating system I have ever had the displeasure to use.  

I personally really like the stability and robustness of Win2K.  I have only had one problem using Win2k in a game and that was solved by setting up the desktop and ingame screen resolutions the same.  Needless to say it is far superior to any other MS OS when running high end professional software packages.

As for WinXP, it is my recommendation never to upgrade to a new OS until at least the first service pack has been released and preferably the second.

I'd wait.

F.

Offline Helmet

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.lkm818.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
I've been Running XP Corp. edition for a while now....No issues, I have a SB 5.1...No issues....Max days Running 32(it would have been longer but I forgot to pay me electric bill)
I upgraded from Win 98se, belive me, that is a big step for me, I have alittle LAN at home, Mostly Running Win 2k. But I play alot of games so I stayed on 98se.
I got a Friend into AH, he's running Win 2k, and was having Lock Up troubles with it. I upgrade his Box and lo and Behold...No problems what so ever with it. (Well except for his DVD Decoder card)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2001, 01:49:00 AM »
I still use Win95 latest version. Its great and never crashes. You,ve got to keep it clean tho. No cover disks from mags etc and be prepared to clean out the reg after uninstalls.
Seriously, apart from lack of USB support it uses less PC resources and I can get mine up to 98% before gameplay.

Offline Wobble

• Copper Member
      • http://compservices.netfirms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2001, 02:42:00 AM »
Win2kpro is unbeatable for games.

all you have to remember is to download all the service packs before you install DX8 or any vid card drivers.. I would never use 98, I had used 98SE for over a year and it has NOTHING on 2kpro, 2kpro is 100x more stable, is just a compatable with games, Im yet to come across a game that wont work with 2kpro (games made within last 3 years that is)

If you have Cable or DSL you will get a 5-10% increase in your net speed,

win2kpro takes about 5x longer than 98 to boot up, but its so stable youll almost never need to reboot, also alot of changes and additions that require a restart on 98 can be done without one on 2kpro..

and the BIGGEST difference.. MEMORY!!

98se cannot properly handle over 256mb of ram.. yes it will work with that much but it wont use it to its full potental, also 98 has a problem with nor returning ram.. i.e. youll run a proggy and then when your done 98 will somehow not reallocate all the memory it was using... this causes BSOD (blue screen of death) and lockups and general poor performance warranting a reboot.. very oftin..

2k handles memory EXCELLENT, when you quit a prog 2k will return every drop of ram right away, and it will properly manage well over a gig of it..

trust me, once you try 2kpro for a week.. 98 will seem like a cruel joke and you will look strangley on people who choose to stil use it.

As for XP.. I dunno, never tried it.. I am staying away from it for now because lack of drivers and whatnot.. that and I cant fathom how anything could be better than 2kpro in any way.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Wobble ]

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2001, 04:10:00 AM »
Thats really interesting Wobbell. I find with Win 95 the same. You quit programmes and no matter how much memory recovery you do resources always drop below 85% eventually which demands a reboot before gameplay. I'm thinking of a new dedicated games system anyway, cos I've too much important work stuff on this PC to be playing games too! Also my work stuff would run on my old pII350 and ragepro card no probs.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2001, 04:11:00 AM »
PS.  IE5 is the chief culprit for keeping memory.

Offline sydney

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jambock.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
I'd recommend win2k strngly. The best M$ OS ever... XP is for eXPerimental...

Offline Helmet

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.lkm818.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2001, 10:03:00 PM »
Since it's "Sale Release" Drivers are now avilable for XP on stuff that it didn't have drivers for already.

I'm running a
1.2 gig AMD (266)
512 MB (PC 150)
Elsa 920 Geforce 3
High Point Raid 0 DMA 5 (ATA 100) on the Mobo
Raid on (2) Quantum Fireball ATA 100 30 gig (60 total) Hard Drives
Promise Ultra DMA ATA 100 IDE card
Sound Blaster 5.1
Sony 10 X CDRW
Creative 52 CD-rom
NIC card...Bla Bla bla and all the rest..
Every thing detected fine and have yet to say "Damn why didn't they do this.."
And the only issue I had was when playing Counter Stike, the Voice over IP would distort my voice. Now that Creative Released the XP drivers (2 days after it's offical Relase date,) Everything is working fine.
So as far as experimental...Hmmm I would have to disagree.
Only 3 issues I have with the O.S. is:
1) The install time (Get a book)
2) The Shut Down time (But you don't need to do that offten, Matter of fact I've only had to do that for certain drivers and when I needed to set up another Hard Drive)
3) The way is looks by default (Alittle too fuity for my taste.) But that can easily be changed.
For all you 2K lovers, you can get SMCONFIG back too. No more digging threw the Reg,
and it supports multiple LAN connection (Alternitive DNS, Gateway....) That make my NoteBook happy.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: LordHelmet ]

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
u forgot the most important thing about leaving new software (or hardware for that matter),they become cheaper!!

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
My husband, Bob (Zeb) was having problems with white flashes across his screen when playing AH.  In desparation, he loaded Windows 2000 and managed to eliminate that flashing, but took a frame-rate hit in the process.  He loaded XP a couple of days ago and last night spent the longest time in the game than he has for some time - the flashing was cured, and he had his frame-rate back up!

Our son, Deryk (Cloudy) is also running XP and made a rare appearance in the game yesterday, also without any problems.  I think I may be next in line for an upgrade to XP before too long...    :)

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Flossy ]
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
YOYO
Stats still show that win98se is still the best 3d gaming OS, but only by a slight margin over XP
What I would recommend is to dual boot ur machine so you can have both OS's