Author Topic: New plane election  (Read 31443 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New plane election
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2007, 07:06:58 PM »
P-63 got only 1 or 2 official kills on that Manchurian front, from memory.

So vote G.55!

EDIT: I think the purpose of this thread was not to voice opinion for what's already on the list, but rather to add to the list (as Waffle did), if you think something should be on it, but is not.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
New plane election
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2007, 07:07:04 PM »
OK... so the winner is the Polikarpov IL-16 Type 24/28.

Done!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DocRoe

• Zinc Member
New plane election
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »
lol

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
New plane election
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
Originally posted by Fencer51

Also should we not add a Japanese fighter?  The J2M would be my first choice but we are already buried under NIKIs.  The KI-44 was a pig.  The KI-43 was so lightly armed that a WWI Spad could give it gunner lessons.

Ki 44 was like Bf 109 in terms of climb rate.  It was not manuverable by Japanese standards but it still outturned most US planes in confidential test flights.

Ki 43-IIb was lightly armed at the start of the war. 2x 12.7mm guns.  By late war Ki 43-IIIb was armed with deadly 2x HO-5 cannons and had max speed of 360mph

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
New plane election
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
P-63 got only 1 or 2 official kills on that Manchurian front, from memory.

Let me help that ol' memory out....

"By a 1943 agreement, P-63s were disallowed for Soviet use against Germany and were supposed to be concentrated in the Soviet Far East for an eventual attack on Japan. However, there are many unconfirmed reports from both the Soviet and German side that P-63s did indeed see service against the Luftwaffe. Most notably, one of Pokryshkin's pilots reports in his memoirs published in the 1990s that the entire 4th GvIAP was secretly converted to P-63s in 1944, while officially still flying P-39s. One account states they were in action at Koenigsberg, in Poland and in the final assault on Berlin. There are German reports of P-63s shot down by both fighters and flak. Nevertheless, all Soviet records show nothing but P-39s used against Germany."

The P-63 was delivered in huge numbers, and was competitive as a late-war fighter plane ('43 on...would this place it Mid-war as well...perked perhaps?)  They were delivered on the promise that they'd be used against the Japanese.  The Russians started getting significant numbers of these planes around the time that Kursk was being fought, and started secretly replacing planes in P-39 squadrons with them.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Keeler101

• Copper Member
New plane election
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »
P-47M
Tu-2
G.55

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
New plane election
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2007, 07:19:54 PM »
For those who want P-39 ....
(btw i want Japnese fighters 1st!;) )

Most representative lineup of P-39s.

P-39D  U.S. Version:

245 lb of additional armor, self-sealing fuel tanks. Armament increased to 1x 37 mm cannon (30 rounds), 2x .50 cal (200 rounds/gun) and 4x .30 cal (1,000 rounds/gun) machine guns. Provisions for a single 250-lb, 325-lb, or 500-lb bomb under the fuselage.

P-39Q-30 U.S.S.R. Version:  

wing-mounted 0.30 cal machineguns replaced with a single 0.50 cal with 300 rounds of ammunition in a pod under each wing. These wing guns were often removed on Soviet aircraft. P-39Q-21 had a four-bladed Aeroproducts propeller. The P-39Q-30 reverted to a three-bladed propeller because the four-bladed unit worsened directional stability.

Btw, P-39D should be classified as a US Army Aircraft, P-39Q-30 should be classified as Soviet VVS aircraft.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
New plane election
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »
Brewster Buffalo

I think Camo and his pals have waited long enough .

But I would fly Ki44 or late Ki43 alot more .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New plane election
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »
Originally posted by Warspawn
Let me help that ol' memory out....

The P-63 was delivered in huge numbers, and was competitive as a late-war fighter plane ('43 on...would this place it Mid-war as well...perked perhaps?)  They were delivered on the promise that they'd be used against the Japanese.  The Russians started getting significant numbers of these planes around the time that Kursk was being fought, and started secretly replacing planes in P-39 squadrons with them.

I just read that, as it was posted above. That tells us nothing. I don't know who to believe less, Soviet documents denying something happened or Soviet pilots claiming something happened, at the height of their claim to fame.

Since HTC only looks at official specs, official engine settings, speeds, no custom-tooled, jury-rigged engine settings that most VVS flew with, I doubt they're going to use anecdotal, questionable, resources to determine if it was in use in Europe or not.

The "official" (read into that whatever you wish) record has all of the P-63s being used in one of the smallest, most insignificant fronts of the war (at the time). During this time all these thousands of aircraft have an official claim of 1-2 kills, and I can't even recall the types. They shot down a couple of Japanese planes towards the end of the war.

Besides, how would the Germans know they'd shot down a P-63 and not some late version of a P-39? They look very much alike, and have minor external differences. Same way that allied planes claimed to have shot down FWs over Romania, but were attacking IAR80s (totally totally different aircraft).

Hell there were problems telling P-47s from Fw190As, so the early FWs dropped the checkerboard nose patterns to avoid confusion (after a bad encounter).

I think we need more than that to believe they were in use in large numbers in Europe.

P.S. Wasn't Porkryshkin was flying a Yak at the end of the war?

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
New plane election
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
I think we need more than that to believe they were in use in large numbers in Europe.

/shrug.

I believe that the game encompasses more than just the European theater.   Would you at least believe that the Soviet operated large numbers of the 2,200 P-63's that they received during the war, regardless of what part of WWII they participated in?  I'm sure that the theater the individual pilot participated in was certainly significant to that aviator, even if it was later determined to have a minor impact on the war's outcome as a whole...
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
New plane election
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:38 PM »

P.S. Wasn't Porkryshkin was flying a Yak at the end of the war?

Never. He was in confrontation with Yakovlev and would never fly on his
fighters.

He tried La-7 but when his friend died in accident in La-7 (something on landing, if memory serves me well) he refused to switch his regiment to La-7. He was already very famouse person in the USSR at that time, and he could do that.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
New plane election
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
P39 and B25 please

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
New plane election
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
Definately the P-39.

It fills two gaps, a minor one for the US, a huge one for the VVS.

If I had two choices it'd be the P-39 and the Ki-44
 Three choices would be P-39, Ki-44, Yak-3

If I had a choice without being limited by Pyro's list, it'd still be the P-39.
 If I had two choices disregarding the list, it'd be the P-39, Yak-1B
 If I had three choices disregarding the list, it'd be P-39, Yak-1B, and the Ki-44

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
New plane election
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
P39 and G4M Betty

Offline Avenger1

• Zinc Member
New plane election
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »
P-39 Airacobra! :)