Author Topic: Unperk the Chog  (Read 1576 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
Originally posted by lagger86
the C-hog(out of all perk planes), is the hardest to fly well in all situations in my opinion.....

I'd say it's the F4U-4.  Unperk the F4U-4 but leave the C Hog perked.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline quintv

• Copper Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
The Spixteen and LaLa crowd won't swarm to the C Hog. The C Hog takes more skill and effort to fly well. A lot more.

I do not agree. Been at this game less than a month and I managed to kill alot of things in a -1 and -1a. I would have half the deaths in those planes if not for the fact I  was using them while I learned this game  (this game is quite different than the flight sim I came from) so do not take my stats as anything special.

The Corsairs do not seem to climb or accelerate at a great rate, but otherwise they seem above average and even superior in every other aspect from zoom climb, turning ability, deceleration, firepower (I prefer 6x .50 cals to anything except the quad cannon configuration, but with the C well you even get the cannons). Edit: forgot to add dive and fuel range.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:59:53 AM by quintv »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 10:01:41 AM »
The perk cost is so low as to mute the point.

Offline steely1

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.paul-hanover.com
Unperk the C-hog or perk the Lgay-7
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 12:11:57 PM »
I’m in the unperk the C-hog camp.(or should I say perk the LA-7)
This is not your typical Dweeb plane, it dose take some skill to fly.

Un-like the LA-7 (the all time ho leader) if you don’t unperk the C-hog you should perk the LA-7.
The LA-7 unbalances the game IMHO and granted it can’t fly off of a carrier but low and slow the C-hog is toast.
The LA-7 will up out of a caped base in a heart beat.
I would never try this in a C-hog.
(If some of you are good enough to try this in a C-hog how about some lessons.)
Unperk the C-hog or perk the LA-7.
The LA-7 is a Super plane (Climb, Speed, Acceleration & fire power) that any dweeb can fly and heaven help you if there is a competent pilot in the seat.
The LA-7 should be perked comparably to the C-hog!!
At least there would be some thought given to flying the LA-7.
:furious

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »
Originally posted by toadkill
Doobs. I know you remember when the Chog wasnt perked. And no one wants that to happen again.

also.... LA5 :lol

Amen !!

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 12:43:44 PM »
IMHO the perk on the C-hog is so light that it works out fine. Anyone with enough skill to actually fly the C-Hog anywhere but into the ground is going to have enough perks to get it without too much pain.  I guess I'm trying to say that the perk system works pretty much perfectly in this particular instance.

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
Leave the CHog alone.

But perk the HELL out of the LA-7.  Seriously, I don't see any legitimate reason not to (the "trainer" argument is weak, fellas...any Spit or even the Runstang would suffice).

Perk points are supposed to prevent overuse of planes that can throw off balance, correct?  And the LaLa is more worthy of being perked than well over half the planes that are already.  

It's faster than damn near everything, it can turn with damn near everything, it has better guns than damn near everything, it can outclimb damn near everything...it can pretty much out-everything damn near everything in any fighter category.

Frankly, the fact that it's not perked is ridiculous.  I'm an unapologetic Dweebfire 8 fanatic, and even I won't touch the LaLa out of sheer pride.

Perk it!  It should certainly be perked higher than the C Hog, too.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
Originally posted by frosty
Leave the CHog alone.

But perk the HELL out of the LA-7.  Seriously, I don't see any legitimate reason not to (the "trainer" argument is weak, fellas...any Spit or even the Runstang would suffice).

Perk points are supposed to prevent overuse of planes that can throw off balance, correct?  And the LaLa is more worthy of being perked than well over half the planes that are already.  

Not to mention that perks mean squat in the TA, so you can fly whatever you want in there... I agree with you, frosty.

I'm a spit dweeb but my preference is the 9...

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »
Originally posted by frosty
Leave the CHog alone.

It's faster than damn near everything, it can turn with damn near everything, it has better guns than damn near everything, it can outclimb damn near everything...it can pretty much out-everything damn near everything in any fighter category.

Frankly, the fact that it's not perked is ridiculous.  I'm an unapologetic Dweebfire 8 fanatic, and even I won't touch the LaLa out of sheer pride.

Perk it!  It should certainly be perked higher than the C Hog, too.

But the fact is, most LALA pilots are not really much threat. The majority are noobs or noskilled vets who don't even fly this very dangerous plane to it's potential. Therefor they are no threat to any decent pilot. The LALA give the noobs a plane they can be competative in. The real problem is that some of them never move on to other rides.                                  

You can't say that about the majority of Hog pilots. In my experience the majority of hog drivers I encounter are a cut above the rest. I always assume when encountering a Hog that I'm in for a fight and play it accordingly. Plus, as stated the perk on the -C is so low that if you can't afford it the you shouldn't even be IN it.

Offline quintv

• Copper Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 02:22:11 PM »
Perk the best performer in the VVS inventory. Right. Then the P.51D and Spit.XVI and N1K  should also be perked.

Thus far this tour -

Total La-7 kills and deaths : 46,604

Total P.51D kills and deaths : 52,323

Total Spit.XVI kills and deaths : 51,039

Total N1k kills and deaths : 55,451

Give them all a very light perk like the -1C.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:24:18 PM by quintv »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
LA7s held the top space since they were introduced, until the Spit16 showed up, then it traded off a few times.

I think the arena split and massive ENY unbalancing has limited its use a bit, but have no fear, it's still the same plane that had twice as many kills as the next runner up for many years straight.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »
Flying the F4U's a bit here and there-  I think we need to leave the hogs perked/unperked as they are.  Even the basic cost level seems great.

The two that are perked are perked for good reason.  They are both absolute monsters, for obvious reasons.  To unperk them would be to make them so common in the arena's as to be ridiculous.  To get killed in the F4U-4 more or less means you are not paying attention, or are flying recklessly.  The Chog cannons will wipe out anything they hit with a mere "tickle".

Perking them keeps the overall usage #'s down, which is better from a historical aspect, where they were more rare than the other hogs.  Perking them also keeps you "honest" in that you are likely to be a little more cautious while flying them, which eliminates a lot of the diving into any situation with guns-a-blazin' scenario which is where a lot of the HO whines originate.  Make somebody pay for a plane, and they will probably make an effort to manuever into a good position for a shot rather than succumb to 50/50 chance of an HO.  

I think the LA and Spixteen #'s in the MA are kind of crazy too.  Perking them might be ok too.  However, I do agree that the the newbies need at least a few "uber" rides to help them through the viscious learning curve.  It would not be fair to have these rides cost so much that the folks that have a legitimate need for them couldn't afford them.  Then only the guys skilled enough to have perks in the bank could fly them.  Massive handicap against the newbies.  An LA or Spixteen flown as a new  pilot flys really doesn't stand a chance against any of the better flown hogs anyway.

I propose this-  We leave the perk system alone.  We label a certain few "free" planes as dweebish, and look the other way when the newbies use them to get through their growing pains.  We then however tease the more experienced players shamelessly for using them too much, and hope to convince them to try something more "sporting".

Really the perked corsairs are awful cheap anyway.  One hop in a -1 or -1D or -1A will net enough perks to fly two or more sorties in a Chog, or one in a -4, even if you die!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
So far this camp I've killed 10 LA-7's and been killed by 4 LA-7's.  Most every camp the numbers are like that.  

They don't seem like such a big threat to me.  In fact most of the time I see one I figure it for an easy kill almost regardless of what I'm flying.

Guess I'll have to try one out one day to see what all the fuss is about.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
LA7s held the top space since they were introduced, until the Spit16 showed up, then it traded off a few times.

When will you stop dis informing people ?

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Unperk the Chog
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »
Really the perked corsairs are awful cheap anyway. One hop in a -1 or -1D or -1A will net enough perks to fly two or more sorties in a Chog, or one in a -4, even if you die!

Note.  I'm not arguing that the perk system needs to be changed.

Regardless, I feel compelled to point out that that's just not true for most people.   Even when I land 3 or 4 kill sorties in a -1A or the -1D,  I usually only get 2-3 perk points, which means an average of 10 or so sorties to "earn back" an F4U-1C or -4 loss.

And I'm certainly not bad in the F4U (which is my ride also).

But MtnMan is a *PHENOMENAL* pilot who also flies the F4U exclusively or nearly so, and as such, his perception of the ease of accumulating perk points in it is in my humble opinion skewed by his skill. It's probably pretty easy for him to bank perkies in the F4U's, but for most mere mortals, it's much more difficult.

Note.  I'm not arguing that the perk system needs to be changed, merely pointing out the above.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue