Author Topic: Emergency carrier landings  (Read 320 times)

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
Emergency carrier landings
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »
I have noticed it is possible to land a non tail hook plane onto a carrier and are able to re-up.

Anything that is smaller than a TBM can land using the whole carrier.  Keep the flaps completely down and wrestle the plane's speed to its sustainable minimum, make sure you dont stall.  Go half-way higher then you would with a plane that has a hook to land.  Once you are at that distance, just before you are over the carrier's runway, decrease the RPM almost all the way down.  It will be a little bumpy, but its normal.  Don't try to aim for the re-arm pad, because you can taxi backwards on the carrier's runway.  If you have landed on the deck with no injuries, CONGRATULATIONS!

The trick for Re-upping fighters is this.  After you land the plane, idle the engine immediately.  Decrease the RPM almost all the way to it's minimum. Make sure the flaps are all the way down.  Throttle up slightly and you will notice you are going -- Turn your sight around so you can look out the back.  Use your rudder to taxi all the way to the back. Once in your position, idle the engine, increase RPM to maximum, flaps entirely down, full speed and with WEP, you will takeoff quickly.

Also a few warnings and somethings I have tried so you don't have to look stupid while impressing people who haven't read this thread:

DO NOT LAND ON THE CARRIER WHEN IT'S FACING YOU.  ( You go +100 MPH, carrier goes about +40, so +100 + +40 = +140 MPH )

DO NOT AIM FOR THE RE-ARM PAD.  ( You will miss it and have a swim. )

And, the most frustrating:

DO NOT LAND ON THE BATTLESHIP!  ( I had 4 kills in A6M5B, carrier died in front of me, landed nicely on back of battleship, COUNTED AS DITCH! )  

I believe that is everything that is needed for landing without a tail hook on a carrier.

So, good luck with landings.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
hehe good tips and dont forget to jump right in a 5 inch gun soon as you tower and shoot yur squadmates trying to land.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:40:06 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
hehe good tips and dont forget to jump right in a 5 inch gun soon as you tower and shoot yur squadmates trying to land.

Thats always fun... :D

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »
:lol  never thought of a group landing/killing :lol