Author Topic: about Vote  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
about Vote
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Not smarter, better informed.

Better informed of the BS of the BBS, maybe.

Aircraft data is out there for everybody, not just people who frequent this place.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
Originally posted by Joachim
The La.7 and N1K probably wouldn't be in game if they were put up against American kit in the voting, and yet they dominate the arena along with the P.51D and Spit.XVI.

People often don't know whats good for them. That being said, I look forward to shooting down these new second tier American units.

Nice retort.

People pay their money to play. So I figure they're entitled to choose the next plane if HTC gives them the chance. Just because YOU want something THEY didn't choose does not mean YOU made the better choice. It STILL adds up to sour grapes on your part because you didn't get what you want, and since others didn't agree with your choice, you feel compelled to look down on them for it. Excellent attitude. I'm sure it serves you well.

And I'd bet the Nikki WOULD be here, and probably the LaLa as well.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:40 PM »
The people who frequent the forums are more prone to being WWII aviation enthusiasts.

The information is equally available, no doubt, but the motivation is unlikely to be equal.  Also I suspect the average player is much younger than the average forum poster, and I know how much less I knew back then even as an enthusiast.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
about Vote
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
Democracy is a wonderfull thing but this is not democracy its POP idol.....

we are similar to the panel and yet we are nought tothe power of the voting players.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
Don't bring democracy into this... The only way politicians get elected is by making sure 80% of the citizens of the U.S. don't vote. It's not about who gets the most, it's about who can make their opponent get the least.

That system's SNAFU. Doesn't really compare to a vote.

I tend to agree with the "unwashed masses" comments -- the ignorant majority type of stereotype.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
about Vote
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
TILT!

I just noticed you are from Banbury. I used to go to the Hobby Shop there, along with a few of the pubs. This was back during 1980 to 1983 while stationed at Upper Heyford. I hope to come back for a visit one day. My wife has been told at least 1000 times how pretty it is there, so she'll hold me to it.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 12:54:52 PM »
The people who frequent the forums are more prone to being WWII aviation enthusiasts.

I would say there are more people concerned about the way the game is going, Or what's going to happen when the flamefest starts, or how far they can push the forum mod before they get png'd. I've mentioned the BBS to 10 or 12 people in game...They replied that when they've parused the boards, all they saw were people getting bashed, actually by more than 1 poster, sometimes many, and they decided right then and there that the AH bulletin boards were a complete waste of time.

Even if we were to clean up and have a mod in here all the time(Which HTC can't do) you still would'nt see that many players come in here, simply because of the bad reputation.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
Dan doesn't flame people.  Widewing doesn't flame people.  I don't flame people.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
about Vote
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Dan doesn't flame people.  Widewing doesn't flame people.  I don't flame people.

Well there's three, that's a start.;)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Well there's three, that's a start.;)

only 11,000 some odd users to go

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 03:16:54 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
But if this were a numbers game, the P-39/P-63 and the Pe-2 both had more built and used during World War II.   So, by that argument, do they not to be included in the game more than the B-25 does?  Or at least deserve to be put in the game before the B-25 is?

And this is a game.  Over 600,000 Jeeps were built and used during the war, which has to top just about any production list beyond small arms, munitions, and individual equipment.  How many Jeeps do you see running around in the game?  

I don't vote for the B-25 because, even though it served well in the war, and was known as a tough and capable medium bomber, it is totally outclassed in the LW arena --- which is where the majority of players can be found in the game.   Sure, it can find use in EW, AvA, and SEA events..... but only a very small minority of players from the AHII community take part in those aspects of the game.  

For the B-25 to win a popular vote under those conditions means, to me at least, that it is getting its votes from the rest of the AHII community on name recognition from a couple movies, the Doolittle Raid, and many voters not knowledgeable on the B-25's performance numbers as compared to other planes.   Even the Wiki entry on the B-25 lists the bomb load as 6,000 lbs, but several other people in these forums, and some checking, showed that the B-25 load was 2,000 lbs  in the B-version and 3,000 lbs in later models.  

Yes, there are a few players dedicated to the B-25 based on it's history, and use in AvA, SEA, EW, and MW.  The rest, because they heard of the B-25 before, or maybe even hoping for an easy target to hunt in LW during it's release.  Some even probably still expect a CV-launched B-25.  

The remaining 3 on the list could at least compete in LW at some level.  Not the B-25.  Why, I'll vote for anything but the B-25 in the last round.

And, as to personal use in game; I avoid planes with ENY under 15.  Ki-84's, La-5's, Yak, Pony-B's, 109's, C205, B-17's, B-26's, Ki-67's, Ki-61, 190's..... I like variety.  I'll try flying a particular plane for a while.  Higher ENY planes, but at least those that have some chance against all the La-7's, Spixteens, Nikis, and Pony-D's.  
The B-25 carries less than a B-26, slower than a B-26, with half the climb rate of a B-26.  I'd never choose it over a B-26, or a Ki-67 for that matter.

Considering the P-63 isn't an option for this vote, there were roughly 400 more B-25's built over the P-39. While more Pe-2 were built over the B-25 that plane was limited to one theater of the war and only a few countries actually flew it. The B-25 was flown by just about every allied country in the war in every theater of the war. Based on those facts I believe the B-25 deserves a place before those other planes.

The rest of your post went on to prove my original point however. You don't want it because it's not some uber ride that can compete in the LW arenas. Again I say so what? It doesn't have too. You make comment on the jeep, but the fact is, it is in the game. It may not be used much but it is there and it does have it's uses. I use the jeep quite a bit for certain missions and it is a suberb vehicle if used in it's intended role.

To limit yourself on a plane only based on whether or not it will or can compete against the LW common uber rides does yourself a disservice in my opinion but your point of view is common in those arenas hence the proliferation of the uber rides to begin with. It's just the mentality of those players. "why should I fly a plane that everyone thinks sucks when I can fly an uber plane that takes no skill?" I personaly enjoy the challenge of taking on the LW uber rides in an EW plane, and it's even better when I win the fight. So my score isn't high, I don't care.

If the B-25 wins, I'll fly it in the LW arenas. I might get killed more while flying it but I don't really care about that. I'll have my time in the spotlight when I land kills in the thing, or come back from a good mission and land all my planes intact while faced with stiff opposistion over the target from the uber planes.

Too each their own, but I'm voting based on historic facts, not on what will compete in the LW areanas. Too limit my vote based on that is just stupid to me, but again that's my opinion.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »
Hold the phone!   Hold the phone on the assumption that no one knows about the Pe2, G55, etc.

Most of the older veterans in this game are students of WWII Aircraft.  We only want Amerian Iron?  No......we raised a fuss to get the Ki84 here amongst other aircraft.....inclucing the A5.....the A6M2  and the Ki61.

I myself have been reading and when possible riding in and visiting Museums for over 40 years to see WWII Aircraft and learn about them.
There are many reasons the B25 is my...and many others selection.

1.)  Flew in all theaters in many variants in large numbers.  (Means if this is a Sim, this aircraft SHOULD be here because of its' service.)

2.)  Some of you know that Toads Father was an actual B25 Pilot in the PAC Theater during WWII.  Look at some of the past posts to actually view the aircraft that his father flew.  If it wins I hope his aircrafts skin is default.
It would be an honor for someone who actually flew the aircraft to take the controls again in this game.

So don't get your undies in a knot youngsters!  Before you speak know a little about what you are speaking of.  Get the facts before casting aspersions please.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 03:57:23 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
I have a buddy of mine who's grandfather flew B-25's in the PTO. I believe he said he flew with the Head Hunters. Not sure what squadron and all but he was pretty excited the other day when I told him it was in the running for being added next. He's suposed to get me some pictures of his Grandads plane with all the squadron info.

I really hope it makes it. It would keep the skinners busy for awhile at least.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Let's just say after this I hope HTC never puts it to a vote again!

I agree with Ghi.

Has anyone considered the possibility that THIS is the whole point of the exercise?

Every now and then they turn off killshooter, too.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2007, 05:51:09 PM »
Exactly.

To limit yourself on a plane only based on whether or not it will or can compete against the LW common uber rides does yourself a disservice in my opinion but your point of view is common in those arenas hence the proliferation of the uber rides to begin with. It's just the mentality of those players. "why should I fly a plane that everyone thinks sucks when I can fly an uber plane that takes no skill?" I personaly enjoy the challenge of taking on the LW uber rides in an EW plane, and it's even better when I win the fight. So my score isn't high, I don't care.

:aok
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."